poz

Tablet Choices

Hey guys

So I was looking for a pretty basic tablet a few years back, and ended up going with the Kindle Fire when it debuted which didn't disappoint me, held it's own great and did everything I needed it to do. With more working coming in now, and without having the bulk of a laptop since I commute a few hours each day to go in/around Toronto, I'm looking for an upgrade in every possible way to help me stay organized/entertained on my commutes.

Obviously the iPad is an easy choice, I have one at home right now, but the on screen keyboard is just too awkward for me to be able to type on if need be since it's too big, and I don't want to be arsed to carrying around my blue tooth keyboard, but it is an option.

One tablet that got me thinking was the Samsung Note 10.1. I don't have a ton of time to get out to stores and try different ones out, so I was hoping some of you guys have more experience with them and I can get a good recommendation. One thing that is attracting me to the Note is the S-Pen since it would eliminate the need for me to carry around a keyboard and also avoid having to type on an awkward big screen. Maybe a dumb question, but even though a lot is done on the Note with the S-Pen, the screen is still touch compatible, right? Surely not EVERY part of the screen is only useable through the S-Pen, or at least I hope not for simple tasks.

Storage isn't a huge issue, so long as it has some sort of extended memory slots assuming it's under 32GB which the Note offers. I need my tablet to do pretty simple tasks, nothing spectacular, but like I said I want the ability to watch a few TV shows/movies or listening to music while doing some work or taking some notes, which is why the Note has intrigued me.

So with all that said, have any of you had experience with the Note and how was it? If not, do you have a recommendation for something similar to it that may suit my needs?

I bought the Nexus 7 twice when it came out, and both times the screen started lifting from the body, so I'm a little hesitant to try it again even though it was a fantastic tablet.

Is it worth fussing about getting the stylus or S-Pen, though is my big thing? I don't like on screen keyboards, and I'd like the option to be able to write notes and such. Is the pen in your guys experience gimmicky or is it actually a decent tool? I'm also eligible for a phone upgrade, so I may have a go at the Samsung Note.

I have a Nexus 7. Quite happy. 10" is too big for me (that's what she said).

I keep it in the truck and browse with my phone's hotspot and take it into work so I can browse at will on the public wireless while my workstation is diligently in the accounting system where I press a key an hour. lol.

I didn't see much use for the S pen and the Note is just too big to be a functional phone. I just looked at the Note 8, but you know what, the Nexus 7 has the same specs without the pen and SD for 1/2 the price.

I love my nexus 7, only recommended the nexus 10 because well a) it looks awesome and B) you mentioned specifically the galaxy note 10.1 so I assumed thats the size you were looking for.

as for screen lift. as I understand it that has been fixed for quite some time. since they introduced the 32gb and 3g versions for sure.

Well I didn't think I'd be in the tablet market so soon, but I dropped my Nexus 7 on the ceramic tile floor this morning, the corner hit it and the screen cracked. Touch won't work. The Hipstreet leather case wasn't protective enough. It was bailing me out because my laptop smoked a while back. Now, I'll have to cope with only my S4 until I stock up.

So I need a new Windows laptop, and a tablet and have become hooked on Android.

Maybe a Surface Pro 2 and run BlueStacks?

only the rt is and was on ARM. surface pro run intel i series. surface pro 2 has 4th gen i5 iirc

@ sounds like a surface pro might be a good route for you

Yes, sounds like I might be one of people in its niche. Problem is the 512gb version is $1799 and I always want the top of the line and it not available until December. Maybe I'll settle for the $256gb at $1299. Work is on the verge of forcing us to have our own tablet and contributing about $1000 so that might ease the pain.

I'm trying to hang on with this old Fuji Lifebook which I just upgraded to Windows 8.1.

On the bright side, it makes me glad I bought the replacement warranty and an Otterbox for my Galaxy S4.

Edited by Clark's Son

I got the surface pro 2 - 512gb and an arc mouse. No keyboard yet as I wanted to try them first and the Microsoft store only had the old touch and I didn't like it. I am waiting for the battery type keyboard coming soon. It's a potent little device and I'm starting to like w8.1.