Sign in to follow this  
Sypher_04

Toronto Bills?

So, according to news I heard this morning, apparently Jon Bon Jovi has emerged as the frontrunner to purchase the Buffalo Bills. He is close friends with Tim Leiweke and MLSE is said to be partnering with him in a bid to move the team to Toronto.

It does add up. Jon Bon Jovi is said to be worth around 300 million, which is well below the figure that would be needed to buy the franchise. Probably more like a billion.

Im down for it. The only problem is that the nfl hates Toronto.

I disagree. The NFL gladly lets the Bills play in TO each year, thus augmenting revenue.

God bless Wilson and may he rest in peace. No disrespect but now that he has passed, maybe this will happen.

If it ever happens I would change the team name to either the Toronto Northmen or Toronto Toros.

Can Toronto even support an NFL team? It hardly supports a CFL team and only cares when they're winning, and the last bills game only brought 40,000 people to the game

I think Toronto can support the NFL. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the ''Bills in toronto'' tickets horribly over-priced? If you can sell about 50 000 over-priced tickets for a bad team from buffalo I think it's a good sign.

Fans will be much more interested if it's their own team and not some team from Buffalo playing 1-2 games a year.

About the CFL....it's like the AHL. Nobody goes to Marlies games. Toronto is a major league city. The Jays get 30 000 fans per game. Would Toronto get 30 000 fans per game if they had a AAA baseball team instead? No way. I'm sure there are tons of football fans in TO who follow the NFL but could not care less about the CFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are my assumptions.

I think Toronto can support the NFL. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the ''Bills in toronto'' tickets horribly over-priced? If you can sell about 50 000 over-priced tickets for a bad team from buffalo I think it's a good sign.

Fans will be much more interested if it's their own team and not some team from Buffalo playing 1-2 games a year.

About the CFL....it's like the AHL. Nobody goes to Marlies games. Toronto is a major league city. The Jays get 30 000 fans per game. Would Toronto get 30 000 fans per game if they had a AAA baseball team instead? No way. I'm sure there are tons of football fans in TO who follow the NFL but could not care less about the CFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are my assumptions.

The Jays have only started to get 30k fans and usually only go over if it's a special day (e.g. Canada Day)... You go back a couple years and they were averaging 20k fans and under. The Bills games in Toronto have been decreasing in popularity and have been declining in attendance numbers since it's inauguration. 

Also there may be people who follow the NFL in Toronto, however that doesn't mean that all of them are Bills fans. For instance, I'm a Broncos fan, and throughout high school and university I've only met guy who cheers for the Bills.  Yeah it may change but with how shitty the Bills have been, I can see it like the Argos, only supporting the team when they're winning.

The Jays have only started to get 30k fans and usually only go over if it's a special day (e.g. Canada Day)... You go back a couple years and they were averaging 20k fans and under. The Bills games in Toronto have been decreasing in popularity and have been declining in attendance numbers since it's inauguration. 

Also there may be people who follow the NFL in Toronto, however that doesn't mean that all of them are Bills fans. For instance, I'm a Broncos fan, and throughout high school and university I've only met guy who cheers for the Bills.  Yeah it may change but with how shitty the Bills have been, I can see it like the Argos, only supporting the team when they're winning.

Yeah but you can't compare MLB attendance per game to that of the NFL. There are 81 home games for the Jays. An NFL team will have only 8 home games. You have at maximum 1 game per week to fill your stands.

Yes the Bills games are not doing that well because it's the Bills. They are not the Toronto Bills! Give Toronto it's own team and that team will sell lots of tickets. You can't expect fans to greatly support a Buffalo team.

Jays averaged over 31k last year... that's pretty significant. Sports fans in Toronto will support a winning team... The real issue is when you have a franchise like the Tampa Bay Rays who are drawing 10k on the third game of a season in which they are serious playoff and world series contenders.

Steelers because of the steel industry.

Packers because of the meat packing industry.

What industry predominates TO ?

The Toronto Traffic Jams? The Bankers ?

The Toronto Tossed Salads? (since it is a mix of everything)

If you want an instant fan boost, name em the Maple Leafs. 

Scary name, the Toronto SARS.

I vote for the lumberjacks, going back to a time when there were, well lumberjacks around.

Buffalo's average attendance was 19/32 teams last year averaging 66k per game. I think that's at least 20k more fans that'll support it in Buffalo compared to what Toronto would average. It isn't a sellout crowd but the Toronto games weren't sellouts either.

One thing we're all forgetting about here is that the Bills are under contract at Ralph WIlson Stadium until 2019, so it'll be at least 5 more seasons in Buffalo unless they breach their contract.

I disagree... they need a football stadium though, they can put them in Rogers Centre, it's a pile of dog crap and football stadiums have way way way more seats.

something you're probably not considering my fake jew friend... is that people from Buffalo will still support the team. Bills in Toronto is a novelty act. If it's done right they'll top 60k 8 times a season quite easily. Especially with all that money behind the team, they might actually be competitive.

I agree with lox. Also, tickets in Toronto are much more expensive than tickets in Buffalo. The Bills make more money with less fans in Toronto othan they do in Buffalo.

Berg brings up a good point about the stadium lease. Can they opt out of it?

Edit: Aslo Toronto has a much greater corporate presence than Buffalo. Corporate support is extremely important.

Edited by mtlleafsfan

Steelers because of the steel industry.

Packers because of the meat packing industry.

What industry predominates TO ?

The Toronto Traffic Jams? The Bankers ?

The Toronto Tossed Salads? (since it is a mix of everything)

If you want an instant fan boost, name em the Maple Leafs. 

Scary name, the Toronto SARS.

I vote for the lumberjacks, going back to a time when there were, well lumberjacks around.

lol but seriously they should be the Northmen. The famous WFL team that never played. Cool polar bear logo

If Toronto getting a NFL team means there'll be less TV coverage from stations like CTV,Sportsnet,TSN for the current NFL teams, then I'd rather Toronto NOT get a NFL team.

don't act like you didn't see my tag