Sign in to follow this  
majingir

Olympic Moves?

With Olympics coming up soon, which players on the Leafs do people see being sent down to the AHL for the olympics(so they can still play hockey during the break)?

Not entirely sure which players on our team would be eligible without having to be put on waivers. Holland I think is probably the biggest name though?

With Olympics coming up soon, which players on the Leafs do people see being sent down to the AHL for the olympics(so they can still play hockey during the break)?

Not entirely sure which players on our team would be eligible without having to be put on waivers. Holland I think is probably the biggest name though?

The obvious ones, Holland, Bodie, and Ashton.

The NHL/CHL agreement states that a player with junior eligibility signed by an NHL team must be returned to his junior team if he's not playing in the NHL. It's part of a deal that provides CHL money for players produced (sort of like the IIHF agreement between the NHL and European countries). The NHL agrees to send the teenagers back because CHL needs these players - its top players -- to make money. If the CHL didn't make money, they couldn't produce players. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Specifically, the rule says that if a player played in junior before they were drafted by the NHL, then they have to either be 20 years old by Dec. 31 OR have played four years of junior in order to play in the minors . That second condition rarely comes into effect. It would only apply to players who began in the CHL at age 15.

19 no?

pretty sure the rule is if your drafted out of the CHL you can't play in the AHL till what would be your over age year (usually 20 I think). That would be next year for Morgan. Although I wonder if we can figure out a bit of a loophole like the Kings did with B. Schenn a couple years ago, and send him down for a conditioning stint?

I wonder if we try and send Fraser/Ranger down before and see if they can find any type of usefulness during the break

Edited by LRFE

saw this in an article posted by Mirtle

One NHL executive noted that one bizarre loophole with the break is some entry level players can be “loaned” (i.e. demoted to the minors) for cap reasons even if they aren’t eligible to play in the AHL

Rielly?

3 weeks, but unless I'm wrong he can still practice with the Leafs and use all their resources, it's not like the NHL is locking the players out during this time.

So if Rielly can't play in the AHL he should still be able to practice and skate and maybe even get a little more one on one attention to work on things if he/coaches think he needs to.