Rockweiler

Cellphone thoughts...

I'm currently using a 2.5 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus which has slowed down considerably, but has been the most reliable cellphone I've ever owned.  My contract expires in April 2015 and I've never come even close to I am right now to the end of any contract.  Over the next few months, I will be evaluating my options for a replacement and if something pops up I am willing to pay to get out of my contract.

Looks like the Samsung Galaxy S6 is set to be released in Feb 2015 (or thereabouts).  Should I wait for this?  is it worth the wait (and expense) or should I just snag an S5 right now and be done with it?

I've never considered a Windows phone, is this something worth pursuing?

I refuse to buy Apple, so keep those suggestions to yourself.

Looking for some group thoughts here boys, lemme hear 'em.

Seems like windows phone users are on an island by themselves.

With Android, you will be better poised for that next great social game / app (the next clash of clans, the next ingress).

I vote for you getting whatever the next nexus will be.

Make sure you shoot for the latest operating system (currently kitkat, yes ?)

I am cheap, I also say push your current phone to it's bitter contract end. Maybe time for a factory reset, and reinstall to make it run faster again.

What do you use it for? Phone, text, email on the go?

Do you connect to your office PC with it?

I honestly barely use it as a phone, 2-3 calls a week maybe?  Mostly text, email on the go (not synced with office.. if I did that they'd have access to my noods), internet browsing and playing games while I'm taking a dump.

I have the s5 and is a great phone ... but not all that different than the s3 I had (other than where some menu items are located) and I think if your in the last 3 months some carriers will waive the buy out but that could have been a promotional thing also depending on what you have for a plan (if it is unavailable now and is heavy on the data) they may make you get a new one because of the 2 year contracts

Windows Phones themselves can be very good but unfortunately app support just isn't at the same level as Android and iOS.

Honestly, I'd say just go S5 and call it a day. Great phone.

And to further SilentJay's post. It's very rare for a carrier to force a buyout towards the end of the contract. You should be eligible for an early upgrade on your hardware. The only catch is you'll have to agree to a new contract, but that's not really a big deal. Who's your provider?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Discover on one of the first Android phones, only thing i hate is the googlefication of the phone soooo many apps from them but hey at least the App Store has lots of free apps.  But the phone is laggy i guess the new apps really slow it down considered to back in the days.

Edited by Anger Management

If you use the phone mostly as a mini-computer and you want to make your purchase sooner then later, why dont you try the Note 4, which comes out in early October? It's better then the S5 and you wont have to wait until Feb for the S6. Yeah, it's big, but so is the S5/6.

I wouldn't. At a glance it may not seem like much but the difference, but the Note 4 is still a good amount larger and heavier than the S5.

It's technically a better phone, but honestly, I don't like the form factor, and I don't find the tech difference all that significant aside from the RAM.

That said, the stylus stuff could be a selling feature for some.

I honestly barely use it as a phone, 2-3 calls a week maybe?  Mostly text, email on the go (not synced with office.. if I did that they'd have access to my noods), internet browsing and playing games while I'm taking a dump.

Then perhaps a Samsung S* is the way to go. I have an S3 (because it was cheaper than the S5) and my only criticism of it is that when I'm in court for the day and have to use my phone for emails and researching case-law on the fly, the battery dies by the time I get home.

If you don't use it for work, I'd get an S3. The extra you'll pay for the S5/6 just isn't worth it, IMO, and for what you're doing with it, also IMO.

Galaxy all day. The battery on the S3 lasts 3 hours with the screen on. Half an hour either way. But I rarely get past 3 hours of screen time. 

You can buy a bigger battery but they are quite huge and make the phone almost a brick. I'd say if you can, get the S5. Or wait until the 6 comes out, and then get the 5. 

I also love the Motorola Droid, the battery lasts for fucking ever on it and it's solid. The Nokia Lumia series is also a favourite of mine. I had a 920 for awhile and absolutely loved it. Windows phones are solid for phones but as Sypher said, you're not getting a lot of cool shit.

I like the Nexus line, goes without saying. Cheaper then most, if not all, of the phones above too. So that's a big plus.  

Then perhaps a Samsung S* is the way to go. I have an S3 (because it was cheaper than the S5) and my only criticism of it is that when I'm in court for the day and have to use my phone for emails and researching case-law on the fly, the battery dies by the time I get home.

If you don't use it for work, I'd get an S3. The extra you'll pay for the S5/6 just isn't worth it, IMO, and for what you're doing with it, also IMO.

Same thing for me with my current Galaxy Nexus, so the battery wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

@ , is the batter on an S5 any better than the Nexus/S3?

I get all day on my S4 and keep a 15 buck nexxtech battery stick handy which gives me another day. Love the phone but hate touch wiz so I'd go with the upcoming nexus 6 based on my great nexus 7 tablet. I dumped my bb and told work to fuck themselves, they arent touching any phone i carry. They now pay me 100 a month for my cantankerosity. I set up forwarding from the web server. I phone on for my voice mails.

I do have all the cloud drives and office mobile so it gets heavy work and personal use.

i saw that the Galaxy Note 3 is on sale for $50. a good friend of mine recommended that to me over any other Samsung phone.

If you can get past the size of it, I easily think it's the best Samsung phone. By far the best battery of the bunch. Have a friend who plays games on it all day and can last 2 almost 3 days on a charge.

samsung has really gone downhill in terms of build quality. every year their phones are using cheaper materials. when i had my samsung captivate (the original galaxy s series) the back plate was made out of some kind of metal/carbon fiber material, the phone was solid, and it looked great. s2 was close, but the phone just felt more flimsy and cheap. then i switched to the galaxy nexus, and it was great. very solid phone. from there i went to the s4, and it's incredibly flimsy and cheap. the backplate is thin flimsy plastic, the phone has no metal, just all around cheap.

i still have my s4, and it's a good phone, as is the s5, but there are other phones out there that are better, in terms of quality of construction and features. for one, i like the htc m8. it's made out of aluminum, and has two front facing speakers. the sound and build quality is better than that of the s4 or 5. the camera might not be quite as good, but it's still a great camera.

if i were you, i'd wait until details come out about the nexus x (or nexus 6, whatever they're calling it). all of the nexus phones have been pretty great phones at a good price. plus, your updates come from google, rather than waiting for your carrier to push out the updates

Camera couldn't be less of a factor for me.  I've got a high-end Canon P&S and that's what takes care of all of my photo needs.  Is HTC Android or Windows?

Android

@@Rockweiler

It's the HTC One M8

HTC has mostly been Android, but they are experimenting with Windows now. the HTC One M8 has an Android and a Windows Phone model

The Nexus is made of almost identical material the S3 is. Cheap materials has been a prime negative thrown on the Nexus line. Especially on the tablet side. Remember the first Nexus 7? 

As for better phones, sure. But most are using stock Android. I love Samsung's custom Android, by far. Touchwiz is incredibly amazing, and doesn't get enough credit. 

I have a Nexus 5 and I absolutely love it. @@TuckerIntensity has one as well.

I love the Nexus 5. Battery life is my only complaint and it's not really that bad in comparison to the newer gen phones. I was just used to my old iPhone being a fucking beast that way. From what up understand the new ones aren't.