Rockweiler

Cellphone thoughts...

The S5 is probably the most amazing phone I have ever owned. The jump over the S3 is huge.

I believe the S5 is still bigger than the Iphone 6 but smaller than the Iphone 6 Plus. Hardware wise it's a bit of a wash and not something you'll notice. Nothing slows my S5 down and I imagine the 6 is the same.

Where I would take the Galaxy over the Iphone is storage. Save a decent amount of money on the phone, get a nice 64GB SD card and you're set, for a price that is much lower than the 64GB models of both companies.

The draw of the Galaxy is the Android OS. The customizable options that come with it. Iphone's draw is that it is rock solid but at the expense of no choice, or limited choice, and very little control.

Both phones "Just work" out of the box, but it's where you want to go after that, where they differ. I'll be honest though, I really like IOS8 and I really like how it runs. I'm not a fan of Android Kit-Kat and Lollipop is really bland but some very nice features are imbedded inside. SO there is that too.

My Note 2 has been amazing, I'm not even considering upgrading FWIW. A friend of mine got the Note 4 and loves it as well, though that was from upgrading a work blackberry so it's not saying a ton. I've played around with the Galaxy Alpha and that thing is fucking impressive. It's supposed to have ridiculous battery life too, though I can't personally vouch for that feature.

My Note 2 has been amazing, I'm not even considering upgrading FWIW. A friend of mine got the Note 4 and loves it as well, though that was from upgrading a work blackberry so it's not saying a ton. I've played around with the Galaxy Alpha and that thing is fucking impressive. It's supposed to have ridiculous battery life too, though I can't personally vouch for that feature.

The Alpha is really weird. It's priced as a flagship phone, but lacks a lot of what the S5 has and costs pretty much the same. It's in a very weird limbo state.

The Alpha is really weird. It's priced as a flagship phone, but lacks a lot of what the S5 has and costs pretty much the same. It's in a very weird limbo state.

Ah. I just played with it in the store a little bit and it seemed incredible, I hadn't looked into the specifics too much outside of the stuff in commercials and such, but aesthetically it's amazing and battery life is huge for me as a commuter. I've still got awhile left on my current contract with my Note 2, so by the time my contract is up a lot of stuff in this thread will be moot anyway.

@@poz : How obtrusive is the size of the Note 2?  The Note 4 is slightly bigger, but not incredibly so.

Not at all IMO. Fits in my pockets fine, and I got fat since moving so my pants are a wee bit tighter but still fits no problem haha. It can feel slightly awkward at first if you're holding it up to your ear to make calls, but you get over it pretty quick. Most of the time I use my earphones anyway when I'm on the phone so that's a non-issue. I don't get much use out of the stylus like I thought I would, but it's nice to have built into the phone. I got it just over a year and a half ago and I've had no problems at all (keep in mind it's the 2). Battery life is about average, but I do use it heavily since I play some games on it and stuff on the train into the office so it does need to be charged but if I don't use it much the battery can easily last two days before charge.

Do you wear suit jackets at all?  That's honestly my main concern; the phone (even my Galaxy Nexus, which is 1.5oz lighter and a full inch smaller) weighs down my suit pocket and looks ridiculous.  I guess I'd have to get used to storing it elsewhere; which I think I'm going to have to in any case.

Do you wear suit jackets at all?  That's honestly my main concern; the phone (even my Galaxy Nexus, which is 1.5oz lighter and a full inch smaller) weighs down my suit pocket and looks ridiculous.  I guess I'd have to get used to storing it elsewhere; which I think I'm going to have to in any case.

No, no suit jackets. My current job is business casual, so normally dressier pants and button ups, but never jackets. I don't think I've ever been one, even when I did have to wear a jacket, to put my phone in my jacket pocket though, always right pant pocket or coat pocket, neither of which were issues. The Note 2 is pretty heavy, and I could see it weighing down if that's the case though but not sure how much lighter they've made the Note 4.

Ah. I just played with it in the store a little bit and it seemed incredible, I hadn't looked into the specifics too much outside of the stuff in commercials and such, but aesthetically it's amazing and battery life is huge for me as a commuter. I've still got awhile left on my current contract with my Note 2, so by the time my contract is up a lot of stuff in this thread will be moot anyway.

It's just the price that gets me. It's nearly the same price as the S5. It needs a cut, I think, to justify it. Just too much. Aside from that, yeah, it is a very good phone with a very good battery.

@@Raiden : Thoughts on S5 v S6?

The S6 I don't think is due to be released until late April. If you think you can last until then, I'd say wait. Everything points to it being a far superior phone to the S5. On the flipside, waiting until then almost assuredly saves you money because the S5 will drop in price a decent amount.

Personally, I'd wait. Unless you are in dire need of a new phone, cracked screen and the likes just wait it out.

Also, don't forget Google has the Nexus 6 out which is, as always, a very solid clean phone.

I don't have a cracked screen, but I'm not sure I can wait until April lol I originally heard February for the S6, and I could likely pull that off, but there's simply no way I'm going to make it to April lol

For this reason, I'm probably weighing:

- Note 4

- S5

- Nexus 6

In that order, as of right now.

It is essentially a mini tablet vs. strictly a phone haha

That's a plus for me, personally. I like having everything on one device as opposed to multiple. I do still have an old iPad at home, but I never have to bring any other device with me to travel. It's a really good balance I think.

That's a plus for me, personally. I like having everything on one device as opposed to multiple. I do still have an old iPad at home, but I never have to bring any other device with me to travel. It's a really good balance I think.

I get it, I have fat fumble thumbs too so Big screens are alright with me.