Sign in to follow this  
DBCooper

My plan for the CFL

It's just fantasy but that's what forums are for. I try and watch/support the CFL but I don't really like the Canadian rules and having 6 of 9 teams making the playoffs makes regular season games kind of pointless. I usually end up watching the playoffs and Grey Cup only.

Despite this I find it cool that we have our own major pro league. So here's what my dream CFL would be.

Keep the same 3 letters but modify it to Continental Football League. I would switch over to american rules and field. Keep the 9 Canadian teams and add 5 american teams in nothern markets to have 14 teams. Keep the current CFL salary structure.

CFL East

Toronto

Hamilton

Ottawa

Montreal

Hartford

Syracuse

Milwaukee

CFL West

BC

Edmonton

Calgary

Saskatchewan

Winnipeg

Portland

Omaha

Keep the 18 game schedule and July start. More teams would make for more revenue, possibly a decent U.S T.V contract and more variety. Also, keep the current 3 playoff teams per division making the playoffs. 6 playoff teams out of 14 will make for much more important regular season games.

Also get rid of the advertising on jerseys! Some will say the previous CFL U.S expansion failed. True but that's because they went in to deep south markets like Birmingham and Memphis. Norhern markets and using american rules would work.

Interested to see your opinions on this. I'd probably get shot if I brought up this idea in a Saskatchewan bar.

Edited by mtlleafsfan

CFL as it stands is a garbage league, I can't even stand watching it. I'd like to see them switch to an American size field with American rules and use it as kind of a development/feeder league for the NFL.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Seems the CFL is not too popular out East. Curious to see what our Saskatchewan and Manitoba members think

FWIW I did not put a team in Halifax or Quebec city as there are no suitable stadiums at the moment. But I think a team in Halifax would be cool.

Also, I think modern american football rules make the passing game easier so it's not like switching to 4 down football would ruin our ''passing league''. With the way WR's and QB's are protected today we see tons of passing in the NFL and NCAA.

I like the CFL and all but trying to expand when NFL dominates the entire country, and when the previous CFL expansion in the United States was a total failure, it will never happen again.

I adressed this. The U.S expansion failed because it was almost entirely in deep south markets. The one team up north was Baltimore.

Baltimore's attendance:

-1994: 37 347 fans per game (best in CFL)

-1995: 30 111 fans per game (second best in CFL)

It can work in Northern markets that don't and will probably never have an NFL team. Hartford could easilly be the next Baltimore of the CFL and Hartford as a great modern 40 000 seat stadium.

Add to this switching to american rules and field and changing the name to Continental would make the CFL a much better sell to northern americans.

Edited by mtlleafsfan

I adressed this. The U.S expansion failed because it was almost entirely in deep south markets. The one team up north was Baltimore.

Baltimore's attendance:

-1994: 37 347 fans per game (best in CFL)

-1995: 30 111 fans per game (second best in CFL)

It can work in Northern markets that don't and will probably never have an NFL team. Hartford could easilly be the next Baltimore of the CFL and Hartford as a great modern 40 000 seat stadium.

Add to this switching to american rules and field and changing the name to Continental would make the CFL a much better sell to northern americans.

Baltimore lost their team to Indianapolis in 1984 didn't get a team again until 1996 so they had no team to call their own. Regardless if the rules were changed or not, the NFL was and still is too much of a dominant force for any rival league to compete with it.

Baltimore lost their team to Indianapolis in 1984 didn't get a team again until 1996 so they had no team to call their own. Regardless if the rules were changed or not, the NFL was and still is too much of a dominant force for any rival league to compete with it.

I would never want to compete with the NFL. No league will ever reach that level. But there's no reason you can't have american teams in northern medium U.S markets drawing 25-30 000 fans per game which is all the CFL needs.

The NFL will always be the top league. Nothing wrong with being the second league and expanding.

tough to expand to non NFL markets too when the region has been completely dominated by college sports. Specifically Hartford and Syracuse who are absolutely surrounded by huge college football programs

Valid point. But Hartford averaged close to 15 000 fans per game for the UFL Colonials. And this was the UFL. An established league like the CFL could do well in such markets. Hartford has no major pro sports in town. Same for Syracuse, Rochester, Portland, Omaha...etc. Omaha had decent/good UFL attendance as well.

I think lots of small/medium size markets would love to have their own pro sports team, knowing they will never be big enough for the NFL.

you're forgetting that adding 5 teams means 5 teams worth of players in a league that already has a substandard athlete... which means the quality of the game decreases

I think part of the problem is the Canadian roster rule. Lots of Canadians in the league only because of this rule. And let's face it......Canadian University football is low calibre. The UFL despite being a terribly organised league actually had entertaining games and the calibre was very good. Lots of good players get cut by NFL teams.

I would abolish the Canadian roster rule of course. You would end up with much less Canadians in the league but the Canadians you would have would be there because they truly deserve to be there and would be adored even more.

The game doesn't need more passing. Holy shit, the game's rules are fine as they are. The CFL will never be the NFL. It won't ever be the NFLs shadow when it's noon either. I see absolutely no reason to make it American. The games are fun to watch now, as is. Keep it that way. 

The game doesn't need more passing. Holy shit, the game's rules are fine as they are. The CFL will never be the NFL. It won't ever be the NFLs shadow when it's noon either. I see absolutely no reason to make it American. The games are fun to watch now, as is. Keep it that way. 

I respect your opinion. Interesting to see how the CFL sees much more love out west. I would not want to make the CFL the NFL. Just make it bigger and better.

There is zero reason to Americanize the game. Americans won't watch it either way and it's already pretty much a feeder league to the NFL. Ergo, Expand to the east coast and have an even 10 team (5 each conference) league and give it a decade to equalize. The CFL is stronger than it's been in a shi-tton of years afterall. I wouldn't stray too far from the course they are on.

Would love it if they went to NFL rules.......... The Riders are the only CFL game I can watch, and even then its tough at times.. Ex. last rider game when they were kicking it back and forth to each other trying to avoid 1 point...brutal. Anyway Seeing how dominant at times John Chick is and knowing that he couldn't even sniff playing in the NFL (with the Jaguars??) is evidence of the lack of skill in the CFL. I've always thought NFL Europe, but in Canada where people do appreciate good football.

Then there's the games where you can score 3 touchdowns in a quarter and flip a game on it's head. The time for the CFL to catch up in skill to the NFL is long gone. It's just not a thing that's going to happen, but that doesn't make it a bad product either and the big play or bust style game they got going on has it's tense moments. Australians don't care that they're the only ones who play their weird Rugby, I don't see the big deal in making the CFL more than a mostly Canadian thing.

Would love it if they went to NFL rules.......... The Riders are the only CFL game I can watch, and even then its tough at times.. Ex. last rider game when they were kicking it back and forth to each other trying to avoid 1 point...brutal. Anyway Seeing how dominant at times John Chick is and knowing that he couldn't even sniff playing in the NFL (with the Jaguars??) is evidence of the lack of skill in the CFL. I've always thought NFL Europe, but in Canada where people do appreciate good football.

Yeah I was given tickets to alouettes games 3 times over the past two seasons. Can't say I really enjoyed the games. The Canadian rules don't allow for enough ''long drives'' and I can't stand the no yards and the rouge. Even the ball makes for lobby passes. The NFL ball makes for harder sharper passes.