tbnl

Drinking Thread: Oak Casked Edition

Had a very pleasing bottle of Australian Shiraz with my supper last night, Wine Men of Gotham...got stuck into another for the fucking Leafs game!!!! :angry:

I'm pretty into the Australian wines now, I was in South Australia for 8 months last year and I went on far too many wine tours... tough to find the ones I like in the LCBO though, but it's been better than I thought

Wonder how long Chilean wines are going to remain so price friendly, can't be long before the industry realises the class here & jacks the prices through the roof. If you like wines & like value, buy Chilean while the good times still roll. Currently enjoying a Tamaya 2008 Viognier Chardonnay blend  at less than $11 per bottle, it won't last I tells yer!

Wonder how long Chilean wines are going to remain so price friendly, can't be long before the industry realises the class here & jacks the prices through the roof. If you like wines & like value, buy Chilean while the good times still roll. Currently enjoying a Tamaya 2008 Viognier Chardonnay blend  at less than $11 per bottle, it won't last I tells yer!

I haven't tried too many Chilean wines yet, but they have been my alternative to Australian wines when I haven't found the ones that I am after

Austrailia and Chile have been producing some quality wines for some time now. Argentina too.

South Africa is starting to emerge now.

But don't go skimping on Canadian. Plenty of VQAs that'll do the job for ~$15.

Agree with all the above, especially the bolded...another region that is mercifully & temporarily underpriced. Canada slides under the radar because its international reputation has been twisted so heavily towards Ice Wines.

Very true. Ice wines are the crown jewel of the Canadian wine industry internationally.

It was often very easy for me to sell $240 of ice wine in just 6 bottles to Japanese and Chinese visitors or double that. And these were only 375ml bottles. And at $40 a piece, that's technically a low price.

When I was working in Kitchener, I bought 6 bottles for $150 of Jackson Triggs Reserve 2007 CabFranc and 2008 Riesling because they were on sale at 2 for $50.

Which is a steal when they are usually $50 for 1 regularly. They weren't too shabby at all.

Very true. Ice wines are the crown jewel of the Canadian wine industry internationally.

It was often very easy for me to sell $240 of ice wine in just 6 bottles to Japanese and Chinese visitors or double that. And these were only 375ml bottles. And at $40 a piece, that's technically a low price.

When I was working in Kitchener, I bought 6 bottles for $150 of Jackson Triggs Reserve 2007 CabFranc and 2008 Riesling because they were on sale at 2 for $50.

Which is a steal when they are usually $50 for 1 regularly. They weren't too shabby at all.

A cousin of my wife runs this winery in the Okanagan, good wines! http://www.laughingstock.ca/

'Laughing Stock' becaause he quit being a stock broker to become a vintner.

No idea...what a job though!

Oh, I know, which is why I'm asking.

At the Pelee Winery, there are glasses and holders everywhere in the fermentation area and the barrel aging room.

Being quality control would be my dream job.

"Well, time to check on the 2009 Cab Sauv... *sip*... hmm... better check again in an hour. Onto the Chardonnay!"

Oh, I know, which is why I'm asking.

At the Pelee Winery, there are glasses and holders everywhere in the fermentation area and the barrel aging room.

Being quality control would be my dream job.

"Well, time to check on the 2009 Cab Sauv... *sip*... hmm... better check again in an hour. Onto the Chardonnay!" Okanagan bound?

I ran a train on the Mill St. brewhouse when I was up there last week. Their coffee porter is a thing of beauty. The unfiltered pilsner was also incredible and the wit was solid too. The organic lager is a nice easy drinker. Wasn't too crazy about Tankhouse though.

Their root beer is fucking killer too and I wish they bottled it and sold it.