David

Windows 10

On 11/18/2017 at 10:30 PM, Sharplaninac said:

Manually installing them seems to help.... sometimes. I only know the updates are failing when my fan goes crazy trying to cool down my laptop from the high cpu use. 

You're not the only one having issues

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/windows-10-wuauserv-high-cpu-for-severals-hours-a/84af65b4-6229-4d63-9c68-d233c7c33486?auth=1

is it a clean install? or inline upgrade? my home one was slow until i did a clean install. I don't normally like doing inline upgrade. 

Found a new favourite feature. Turns out that after connecting to your network with few problems for three weeks (the laptop is three weeks old), Windows 10 now randomly disconnects me (this doesn't happen on any of the non-Windows 10 devices) and utterly refuses to reconnect to the network until I have shut down and rebooted and even then it utterly ignores 'Connect Automatically' and often refuses to connect when prompted to manually.

Why do we put up with this total bollocks? Why is it fine for Microsoft to release software that doesn't do the only thing it is supposed to do?

We are a bunch of fucking idiots.

Edited by Pavi Largo

My biggest issue has been around since Windows 8.

Every major update changes a power setting and my desktop won't shut off. The power button and the shutdown option in Windows just restart my computer. I have to go into the settings and turn off fast startup. 

It's only mildly annoying but still annoying.

16 hours ago, PIPERSMAN63 said:

I upgraded to Windows 10 a day or so after it's release. I haven't had a single issue.  (yet)

You sound like me. I don't have many issues with computers, especially not  Windows 10 ones. Awesome system.

Occasionally the bluetooth mouse needs reconnecting but who cares. That's like saying occasionally I need to defrost the windows on my vehicle, therefore windows is terrible.

Edited by Mitch Mattlander

I also really like that 10 locks my screen and puts my computer to sleep despite every possible setting being set to do this 'Never'. 

There are fixes for this on Microsoft's support pages, but each one references an option in Settings that does not actually exist. I'm a fan of that too.

EDIT - Huge fan also of setting myself to Administrators group membership for "complete" and "unrestricted" control and access, which 10 defines to mean 'haha, no, you can't save that there. Ask yourself for permission'.

EDIT 2 - Apparently actually setting yourself as an Administrator does nothing. Right-clicking and selecting to run Notepad as an Administrator (on any account, regardless of group membership) works fine, though.

Edited by Pavi Largo

On 12/16/2017 at 5:02 PM, Pavi Largo said:

I also really like that 10 locks my screen and puts my computer to sleep despite every possible setting being set to do this 'Never'. 

There are fixes for this on Microsoft's support pages, but each one references an option in Settings that does not actually exist. I'm a fan of that too.

EDIT - Huge fan also of setting myself to Administrators group membership for "complete" and "unrestricted" control and access, which 10 defines to mean 'haha, no, you can't save that there. Ask yourself for permission'.

EDIT 2 - Apparently actually setting yourself as an Administrator does nothing. Right-clicking and selecting to run Notepad as an Administrator (on any account, regardless of group membership) works fine, though.

Have you gone to user accounts under control panel, and changed the "user account settings" so it never notifies? 

tgnzw5r.png

On 12/14/2017 at 6:56 PM, Pavi Largo said:

Found a new favourite feature. Turns out that after connecting to your network with few problems for three weeks (the laptop is three weeks old), Windows 10 now randomly disconnects me (this doesn't happen on any of the non-Windows 10 devices) and utterly refuses to reconnect to the network until I have shut down and rebooted and even then it utterly ignores 'Connect Automatically' and often refuses to connect when prompted to manually.

Why do we put up with this total bollocks? Why is it fine for Microsoft to release software that doesn't do the only thing it is supposed to do?

We are a bunch of fucking idiots.

On my first install of Windows 10, I did have this issue. I went into device manager, selected the wireless card and unticked the option to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Another fix is to change from a public to a private network - can't remember where this option is off the top of my head...

Also disabled the WMM (from device manager, right click on network card and under advanced, go to "ad hoc QoS mode - change value to WMM disabled"

my only troubles were after an upgrade from 8.1 - since i did a re-install, i've not had any issues. A few issues on a couple of colleagues at work, but on the whole, fewer than previous OS's (other than windows 7!)