Last TV Show

39 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Who are the buffoons? I’m on episode 5 so no spoilers beyond that plz

Hopper for one. Just a bumbling idiot. He was a damaged character but never an idiot who is acting like a high school boy with a crush. 

15 minutes ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

I would agree, if s3 hadn't been funded by the Pentagon.

The overt propaganda really brings the show down.

It’s an American show, set in America during the 80s .. I’ve enjoyed the Russian aspect because they’ve been mentioned as a threat in both seasons IIRC. I’m not surprised you dislike it though, but I was wondering how accurate the Russian dialogue is. Also, how easy would it have been for Robin to learn Russian? I feel like you’ve said before that Russian isn’t hard to learn if you have an understanding of other languages 

I don't disagree with the inclusion of the whole Red-panic thing, 'cause you're right it was a very real component of 80's Americana.

Russian is crazy hard to learn for Anglophones. It's fairly easy if you already know another Slavic language, 'cause they share the same roots for almost all their words. It's possible Robin is a language savant, but it's unlikely based on the rest of her... well let's be generous, ignore the obvious tokenism and say 'character'.  

Less likely, in fact, than a secret Soviet base (in Indiana!) broadcasting a riddle, with zero encryption or security, that serves no purpose except to be intercepted and 'cracked'. The Red Army was notorious for poor radio-discipline in WWII, but they weren't fucking idiots and they didn't send unencrypted messages telling Jerry exactly where they were and how to find them.

Not even the fucking Abwehr were that stupid.

EDIT - I can't pretend to have understood everything that was said in Russian in the show, but nothing leaped out to me as being 'wrong' or stupidly phrased. As ever, Netflix went above and beyond for their subtitles.

[SPEAKING RUSSIAN]

Edited by Konstantin Konstantinovich

2 hours ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

I would agree, if s3 hadn't been funded by the Pentagon.

The overt propaganda really brings the show down.

1 hour ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

I don't disagree with the inclusion of the whole Red-panic thing, 'cause you're right it was a very real component of 80's Americana.

Russian is crazy hard to learn for Anglophones. It's fairly easy if you already know another Slavic language, 'cause they share the same roots for almost all their words. It's possible Robin is a language savant, but it's unlikely based on the rest of her... well let's be generous, ignore the obvious tokenism and say 'character'.  

Less likely, in fact, than a secret Soviet base (in Indiana!) broadcasting a riddle, with zero encryption or security, that serves no purpose except to be intercepted and 'cracked'. The Red Army was notorious for poor radio-discipline in WWII, but they weren't fucking idiots and they didn't send unencrypted messages telling Jerry exactly where they were and how to find them.

Not even the fucking Abwehr were that stupid.

EDIT - I can't pretend to have understood everything that was said in Russian in the show, but nothing leaped out to me as being 'wrong' or stupidly phrased. As ever, Netflix went above and beyond for their subtitles.

[SPEAKING RUSSIAN]

What point do you think you're making?

Soviet involvement in the first two seasons is limited to a handful of scenes that impart no useful information. It's not at all the same thing as all of a sudden there's a secret Soviet base in Indiana; a 'secret' Soviet base that is staffed exclusively by lazy stereotypes and which is openly broadcasting its location and directions to find it.

Then there's third-rate ArnDolph LundNegger, who sometimes remembers he's supposed to have a vaguely Eastern European sounding accent.

24 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

God damn quote glitch. In fairness, they lucked out with finding them. Steve recognized the music. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have known where to look 

It's called a deus ex machina.

Which is a nice way of saying 'the writers are hacks'.

EDIT - In fact, it's a deus ex machina that exists solely to get the writers out of the fact that their first deus ex machina (the broadcast) didn't hold up by itself and needed further bullshit to justify it.

6 minutes ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

What point do you think you're making?

Soviet involvement in the first two seasons is limited to a handful of scenes that impart no useful information. It's not at all the same thing as all of a sudden there's a secret Soviet base in Indiana; a 'secret' Soviet base that is staffed exclusively by lazy stereotypes and which is openly broadcasting its location and directions to find it.

Then there's third-rate ArnDolph LundNegger, who sometimes remembers he's supposed to have a vaguely Eastern European sounding accent.

It’s not openly broadcasting its location though and they did explain why Hawkins. The location was only because of the deus ex musica.. see what I did there? Nailed it 

5 minutes ago, Konstantin Konstantinovich said:

It's called a deus ex machina.

Which is a nice way of saying 'the writers are hacks'.

We really should be using spoiler tags 

They broadcast a riddle that two teenagers, who did not pursue higher education, 'crack' in less than a day with the smallest possible amount of additional information.

Additional information that, by the way, is nonsensical. Why exactly is the music from a kid's ride in the mall being picked up by equipment that is a kilometre or more underground? Or, conversely, why is the Soviet operator broadcasting from the food court? Neither makes sense. Who are they broadcasting the code for? Doesn't make sense.

A trained cryptographer with a rudimentary knowledge of Russian would crack that 'code' - which, again, was broadcast with no encryption or security - in minutes.  Just like the internet did when it was teased in the s3 trailer.

Take a look at the world around you and ask yourself why all of a sudden we have random evil Soviets in Hawkins. Why all of a sudden is HBO producing a five-part series absolutely stuffed to the gills with lies and sensationalized misrepresentations of life in the Soviet Union?

Why is Netflix all of a sudden producing an extremely historically-spurious quasi-documentary romanticizing the absolute shit out of the Romanovs?

Because entertainment is an ideological state apparatus and your corporate overlords can hear the guillotines being assembled.