Sypher_04

Nintendo Switch (formerly known as NX)

This is the codename Nintendo is using for their next dedicated games machine, which appears to be headed for an unveiling or at least a more official announcement next year sometime.

I made this thread to get people's thoughts on what they'd like to see Nintendo do with this next console.

To give you a basis for my discussion, a teraflop is a measure of a computers speed. (the number of floating point operations it can handle in a second). For example, the XB1 is capable of 1.33 teraflops, while the PS4 is 1.84 teraflops. I've never seen official numbers, but the more common teraflop performance numbers founds online for the Wii U seem to indicate it being approximately 0.350 teraflops (with one outlying source I found saying 0.600). 

The new Tegra X1 mobile SoC developed by nVidia, the 6th iteration I believe in the Tegra line, is today capable of about a teraflop of floating point performance, and nVidia has positioned it against the XB1 when discussing the product.

Given what Nintendo has managed to push out of the Wii U with the power listed above, it's entirely conceivable to think the Tegra X1 may boast enough power for their next hardware iteration, or, depending on development timeframes, and potential launches, perhaps, the successor to the Tegra X1, will be a viable alternative, providing even more power to Nintendo for their next gen. And this is the crux of my idea.

My idea is simple. Remember those Nintendo Fusion fakes that were out there when Wii U was in development? I was always partial to that idea. And I believe, with the Tegra hardware, we are reaching the point where that is a very possible design.

Imagine a games system that is both handheld and console at the same time, based on the Tegra X1 or newer. Where the hardware is housed within the handheld device, and it is docked into the "console" for the purposes of power, output, controllers, peripherals, etc.

Giving you the flexibility to the play exactly the same Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda or whatever experience either in your living room on your TV, or on the bus, or the toilet. 

Also giving the a steady stream of content for both mobile and console simultaneously and allowing Nintendo the time to create more new IPs than ever before.

1 unified system. No needs for crossbuys and crossplays and all that junk.

So...what do you think?

Edited by JKG33

Nintendo Infinty should be the name of the Console and the Nx should be the handheld version but that is my opinion.  Whatever Kev said is German to me but i do think that Nintendo Live Services shold be the goto thing instead of XBOX Live, that way it is a cross platform service that would benefit all Nintendo users Wii/XBOX/Classic systems.  I would be curious if they would create a classic N64 revamped to 2015 style.  I am pretty sure N has the creative minds to do some remakes of their original Systems.

Nintendo needs to actually keep up with the hardware of Sony and Microsoft. They've been underpowered pretty much since the gamecube. The Wii wasn't much better than a PS2, yet was competing with the PS3 and 360. Then they release the Wii U, which was on par with the PS3 and 360, but they released it right at the end of the life cycle. When you're constantly behind in performance the exclusives need to be good. But I certainly don't find that to be the case. I get that some people like their games, but the only ones that I have somewhat significant interest in are Mario Kart and Smash. That doesn't make owning a 3rd console worthwhile. 

So I'll sit back and watch this unfold with moderate interest, but they'd need to announce something significantly bigger than just the successor to the wii u for me to consider a purchase.

its sad they are throwing in the towel on the wiiU so early.   they need good games.  good exclusives.  i go to the games store and look at the wiiU section and its funny how small it is compared to the ps4 or xbone section.  theres just no games even though it was out a full year before the other two.  most of the games they promised at launch dont even exist yet.  i don't mind waiting for games to be perfected but they really arent working on very much at all. 

Actually wii u has loads of exclusives and tons coming. The problem is third party support.

loads is a very subjective term.   but yeah the wiiU likely has more exclusives than the competition.  but it still only has an underwhelming amount of games so it doesnt give people many options.

i've said it a million times now.  nintendo hand-helds dominate because of role playing games, most specifically Jrpgs.  if they got back into that on the console as exclusives (such as xenoblade chronicles and pokemon) they could corner that niche market.  microsoft doesnt give a shit about jrpgs and sony only does because they'll publish anything. 

Jrpgs were huge during the days of the NES and SNES.  when the N64 came out i remember reading an article where in an interview with the president of nintendo he said that the console would move away from RPGs because they want to appeal to americans. he said RPGs were a dying genre and he wanted the N64 to focus more on other things.  and sure enough, the N64 only had a few zeldas, paper mario and ogrebattle.  the game cube had what, 2?  so square/enix jumped ship to sony and never looked back.

i would argue that it was final fantasy 7 that really got the playstation attention in its infancy and all because of that president of nintendo making a really stupid decision.

Just saying, exclusives I own on the Wii U:

Hyrule Warriors, Windwaker HD, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Mario Party 10, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, ZombiU, and Lego City Undercover. Could be missing something, but I think that all of them.

And with the exception of maybe Mario Party 10, and ZombiU, they're pretty much all fantastic games. Mario Party 10 isn't exactly bad, it's just not typical Nintendo quality imo.

On top of that, Starfox, Zelda, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fire Emblem and Splatoon are all coming this year. In addition to Mario/DK Tipping Stars digitally.

Fuck off. Still can't justify buying a Wii U, and they come out with the next gen... it's Nintendo though, so if I could, I'd buy it just for Zelda and more Smash Bros...

NX was mentioned during an announcement that Nintendo made a partnership with a company called DeNA to make smartphone games. This was only mentioned as reassurance that Nintendo isn't leaving their dedicated video game systems. 

I think if not for that announcement, nothing would have been mentioned. We're still a good year and a bit from a reveal, and probably close to 2 years until it sees the market at the earliest.

I think it'd be an interesting idea, but only if they do it in such a way where you buy the game once and own it for both. For me that would mean a physical case coming with both, because if I have to download my games I'm out.

Well, it'd be 1 system, so it'd play the exact same game.

loads is a very subjective term.   but yeah the wiiU likely has more exclusives than the competition.  but it still only has an underwhelming amount of games so it doesnt give people many options.

i've said it a million times now.  nintendo hand-helds dominate because of role playing games, most specifically Jrpgs.  if they got back into that on the console as exclusives (such as xenoblade chronicles and pokemon) they could corner that niche market.  microsoft doesnt give a shit about jrpgs and sony only does because they'll publish anything. 

Jrpgs were huge during the days of the NES and SNES.  when the N64 came out i remember reading an article where in an interview with the president of nintendo he said that the console would move away from RPGs because they want to appeal to americans. he said RPGs were a dying genre and he wanted the N64 to focus more on other things.  and sure enough, the N64 only had a few zeldas, paper mario and ogrebattle.  the game cube had what, 2?  so square/enix jumped ship to sony and never looked back.

i would argue that it was final fantasy 7 that really got the playstation attention in its infancy and all because of that president of nintendo making a really stupid decision.

it's a shame that jrpgs are largely dead in this day and age, well, at least jrpgs with a budget.    yeah ff7 was the big one, but ps1 was a dominant force in jrpgs, there's literally dozens of VERY strong blockbuster jrpgs on that console, and imo was the last true generation where they excelled.  it's unfortunate that square enix no longer really makes them, and instead packages utter trash under the banner of final fantasy, but c'est la vie.  it's probably why square enix is no longer mentioned alongside the dominant game developers as they once were.  

i loved those games, they were my favorite genre along with technical fighting games.  (AKA, not smash bros)  starting with the n64 nintendo completely diverted from that path.  no more serious rpgs, no more serious shooters, (metroid on gamecube was decent mind you, goldeneye on n64, but they were blips on the radar) no more serious fighters, and no serious strategy games (which isn't anybodies fault on a console platform) so their intended demographic is children, and party settings.   well my parties don't involved super smash bros, and i'm not a child.

honestly at this point, their intended demographic seems to continue to shrink and get even smaller:  fanboys of their long running franchises like zelda, and smash bros, and small children.     You can make a great console that does more than one or two things, but nintendo seems unwilling to invest anymore.  yes, when they went to the wii originally i realize that it was an admission of failure with the gamecube of trying to compete with microsoft and sony, and having lost massive amounts of money, but monetarily they came back in overall sales, but they continue to apparently have no interest in creating anything outside their (imo shrinking) niche market.  

Edited by pai mei

Just saying, exclusives I own on the Wii U:

Hyrule Warriors, Windwaker HD, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Mario Party 10, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, ZombiU, and Lego City Undercover. Could be missing something, but I think that all of them.

And with the exception of maybe Mario Party 10, and ZombiU, they're pretty much all fantastic games. Mario Party 10 isn't exactly bad, it's just not typical Nintendo quality imo.

On top of that, Starfox, Zelda, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fire Emblem and Splatoon are all coming this year. In addition to Mario/DK Tipping Stars digitally.

right now my wiiU is just a dust collector.  i played windwaker and mariokart a bit but windwaker is one of my least favourite zeldas.  the new zelda looks to be more along the lines of twilight princess - which was possibly my third favourite after a link to the past and ocarina.  so really i'm just waiting for that and xenoblade and fire emblem - when they come out my ps4 will be collecting dust.

somebody mentioned controllers... nintendo has easily had aweful controllers since the gamecube.  thankfully now i can use the new gamecube style controller!  the gamepad is horribly uncomfortable in my hands but when playing windwaker i put it in the stand on my desk and just use it as a map reference which is handy.  its also nice to play earthbound on if i wanna just use it as a handheld but its really fucking annoying that you cant use it that way for any wii games without still having to use a wiimote.  how hard is it to port the wii controls to the gamepad?  i bet a highschool kid could code that...