Slasher

Official Game of Thrones Thread: NOW DISCUSSING S8E5

12 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Yeah because you wouldn’t be bitching about how they’ve managed to drag each storyline into full seasons. Nope. You would be perfectly satisfied with it. Your complaints have to do with the fucking writing, and you want them to write more, but in isolated locations. Fucking think about that. 

read my post again. i mentioned full season wouldn't be good, but it definitely needed more than 1 episode

and yeah i am complaining about the writing, because it's been terrible. i'd prefer that they recused themselves from writing and allow someone who actually gives a shit do the writing.

hell, even GRRM, the guy who came up with the whole story of ASOIAF was removed from the team contributing to the story due to creative differences with the writers.

there's a reason he doesn't even talk about GOT anymore and only promotes the spinoff series

4 hours ago, Barilko's Ghost said:

Well, to be fair, in the books this is absolutely what's going to happen. The difference is that it will feel earned. That's the major problem, none of this feels earned, and sometimes when you set up storylines, the payoff has to be satisfying. 

Your mistake is assuming the books will be finished 

12 hours ago, Debaser said:

kinda like arya coming out like a ninja and stabbing him awful? or like the entire final season kinda awul?

he's right. well, sorta. maybe not a full season, but it 100% should not have been a single episode. i don't know how some of you guys are actually defending this garbage

i mean did you guys actually watch the first 7 seasons? can you name 3 characters not named arya. if this show actually hooked in the earlier seasons, i don't understand how you could be happy with the way this season has gone. it's not even the same show anymore

I can see past the flaws and just enjoy it for what it is I guess. What I don't understand is how people are so fucking shocked and outraged that the writing hasn't been as good since they passed the source material. Yeah, no shit. 

Edit because i forgot:

I will admit, them not wanting to work with GRRM is fucking whacked. Like that one is beyond me. So I kinda take back what I said, and can understand people's frustration with it a bit more. I'm still enjoying it for the most part.

Edited by Slasher

Have seen ep5. I don't understand why lots of people are struggling with Danaerys' motivation. 

"I don't have love here. I only have fear". 

Yeah, it's clunky and yeah it skips a lot of character development but it's also a complete explanation of why she burned the fuck out of King's Landing.

------------------------------------------------------

The theory is that HBO is killing GoT because it's not efficient. It costs a lot to make (Lena Heady got a $1m per s8 episode to do nothing but look out of a window with a vaguely amused smirk on her stupid face) and the ad revenue doesn't make up for it, 'cause you can't do product placement in a medieval fantasy show.

Unless you 'accidentally' leave a Starbucks cup on a table. In a scene that you've obviously pored over, 'cause it's heavily CGIed.

That doesn't follow at all.

Ten rushed episodes in one season costs less than finishing it out properly over, at least, s9 and s10. 

Six super-rushed episodes cost even less.

HBO is not BBC4. Artistry and originality are not prized. Q.E.D.. The Almighty Dollar is.

18 hours ago, Debaser said:

read my post again. i mentioned full season wouldn't be good, but it definitely needed more than 1 episode

and yeah i am complaining about the writing, because it's been terrible. i'd prefer that they recused themselves from writing and allow someone who actually gives a shit do the writing.

hell, even GRRM, the guy who came up with the whole story of ASOIAF was removed from the team contributing to the story due to creative differences with the writers.

there's a reason he doesn't even talk about GOT anymore and only promotes the spinoff series

do you have a source on the GRRM claim

This article touches on it a bit - https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/1123230/Game-of-Thrones-George-RR-Martin-HBO-ending-books-change-differences-Iron-Throne-die

I can't find some of the other articles i read on it, but they're dropped in quite a few comment threads on https://reddit.com/r/asoiaf

But him saying how he wasn't happy how the season and story and going should be enough to tell you that he wasn't contributing enough to how the show was being written

3 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Maybe he should’ve finished the fucking books if he wanted a faithful adaptation of them

no argument there, totally agreed. doesn't change the fact that this season has been utter shit

1 hour ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

Have seen ep5. I don't understand why lots of people are struggling with Danaerys' motivation. 

"I don't have love here. I only have fear". 

Yeah, it's clunky and yeah it skips a lot of character development but it's also a complete explanation of why she burned the fuck out of King's Landing.

------------------------------------------------------

The theory is that HBO is killing GoT because it's not efficient. It costs a lot to make (Lena Heady got a $1m per s8 episode to do nothing but look out of a window with a vaguely amused smirk on her stupid face) and the ad revenue doesn't make up for it, 'cause you can't do product placement in a medieval fantasy show.

Unless you 'accidentally' leave a Starbucks cup on a table. In a scene that you've obviously pored over, 'cause it's heavily CGIed.

i don't think anyone is questioning what actually happened. i can't speak for everyone, but you touched on it already. they rushed the fuck out of it. and it wasn't HBO, it was the writers.

HBO wanted to give them everything they needed to tell the story the way it's meant to be told. they refused. and we're left with this pile of trash

they wanted to finish this as fast as they could so they could start working on the new star wars film

27 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I hadn’t actually read the article at that point. Just did. I didn’t see anything about him getting pushed out though 

"It can also be... traumatic. Because sometimes their creative vision and your creative vision don't match, and you get the famous creative differences thing — that leads to a lot of conflict."

21 hours ago, Debaser said:

kinda like arya coming out like a ninja and stabbing him awful? or like the entire final season kinda awul?

he's right. well, sorta. maybe not a full season, but it 100% should not have been a single episode. i don't know how some of you guys are actually defending this garbage

i mean did you guys actually watch the first 7 seasons? can you name 3 characters not named arya. if this show actually hooked in the earlier seasons, i don't understand how you could be happy with the way this season has gone. it's not even the same show anymore

It hasn’t been awful at all. I really don’t get why people need to either love or hate the show... can the season not just be a decent season and not up to standards compared to the first few? It definitely hasn’t been this atrocity of a season you seem to believe it’s been 

1 minute ago, TieClark said:

It hasn’t been awful at all. I really don’t get why people need to either love or hate the show... can the season not just be a decent season and not up to standards compared to the first few? It definitely hasn’t been this atrocity of a season you seem to believe it’s been 

if it wasn't the final season, i may have been able to agree with you, because then there'd be time to finish up some loose ends in later seasons. but this was their last chance to tie everything up. instead, they've rushed every storyline, they've contradicted storylines, they've abandoned storylines. it's been a shit show

in comparison to the earlier seasons, the detail, the storytelling, the writing, this season has been nothing short of terrible.

i get it, you like the action. you'd probably enjoy a mashup of games of thrones meets jason bourne. you probably also enjoyed episode 3, at least what you could actually see of it. most likely because you don't give a shit about the actual story, and how they've built up these storylines over the course of the last 10 years, only to shit all over it in 6 weeks

30 minutes ago, TieClark said:

I’m in the same boat. I’m able to acknowledge it’s flaws but I’ve still very much enjoyed this season. Definitely isn’t the best but could have been so much worse. 

17 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Man you come off as a real condescending prick sometimes lol 

lol yeah after re-reading that i kinda see how i did come off as a dbag, so my bad lol. i guess you can tell this season has kinda pissed me off. i get a bit worked up about it sometimes lol

41 minutes ago, TieClark said:

10 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I’m in the same boat. I’m able to acknowledge it’s flaws but I’ve still very much enjoyed this season. Definitely isn’t the best but could have been so much worse. 

Yup me too, there's been a few things where I've kinda been like "come on now" but for the most part I've really enjoyed it. Last Sundays episode was great imo. Seeing her lose her shit, and the reaction of all her allies. Tyrion going, oh fuck, maybe I shoulda listened to Varys was excellent.

There wasn't going to be a win win in this scenario anyways. I mean, they'd have to have a walking dead like tv show (14? seasons?) to tell it all, plus as mentioned, if he just had finished the fucking book, it'd be different and there would have potentially been a proper ending.

They tried to go out with a 'bang' but instead it backfired. Aside from the amazing cinematography there isnt much left but everything being rushed. I get it, hopefully the book gets a proper ending. It's simply impossible to get it all done properly in only 8 episodes. 

2 hours ago, TieClark said:

It really has been awful though. The writing for dialogue and actions of the characters have been awful. The action scenes are great, as they should be with production quality that HBO always brings. Everything else is pretty underwhelming. If the first season was like this I doubt it would have kept going. 

4 hours ago, Debaser said:

i get it, you like the action. you'd probably enjoy a mashup of games of thrones meets jason bourne. you probably also enjoyed episode 3, at least what you could actually see of it. most likely because you don't give a shit about the actual story, and how they've built up these storylines over the course of the last 10 years, only to shit all over it in 6 weeks

It's a fireworks display; for people who are entertained by flashing lights.

4 hours ago, Debaser said:

if it wasn't the final season, i may have been able to agree with you, because then there'd be time to finish up some loose ends in later seasons. but this was their last chance to tie everything up. instead, they've rushed every storyline, they've contradicted storylines, they've abandoned storylines. it's been a shit show

in comparison to the earlier seasons, the detail, the storytelling, the writing, this season has been nothing short of terrible.

They literally skipped giant wars in the first few seasons due to a restricted budget and I was one of the few on here actively watching from the beginning.

I don’t get how solid dialogue was the only thing keeping the show together due to budget restraints for a good 3-4 years. Now they finally put the money in to have entire episodes of action (or actually showing the wars that happened) and you’re bitching about there not being enough dialogue