Slasher

Official Game of Thrones Thread: NOW DISCUSSING S8E5

Out of all the characters the writers completely forgot about, I missed the hill tribes of the Vale reuniting with Tyrion.

They had one episode to give us more Shagga Son of Dolf and they failed.

I guess the Lannisters don't always pay their debts.

Edited by Morkul

15 hours ago, Debaser said:

almost positive it's going to be jon to kill dany. the question is, how do they do it without drogon burning them alive. i don't think they can kill the dragon. maybe he falls back to jon? maybe he burns dany's body, or the rest of the castle? maybe he just says peace and fucks off?

what the fuck does grey worm do? there's no way he'd just be like yeah, she was crazy, who cares. the way the season has gone though i could see him just fucking off to wherever

highly doubt jon takes the throne. maybe he fucks off back up to the wall. maybe he's sentenced up to the wall if he kills dany. or maybe he fucks off up north of the wall to chill out with tormund and give ghost that long awaited good boy pat

and if bran ends up being king, well, thank god it's the final episode

Did someone read spoilers? Or just a good guess?

i didn't read spoilers, unless theories i had been reading on reddit.com/r/asoiaf were played off as theories when they were actually spoilers. the bran bullshit was from the betting odds on who becomes king, and bran was the favourite. i didn't think they'd actually make him king. i guess that leaves some dark side of bran up to interpretation? he says he came down to king's landing to be king like he knew all along, i guess that means he knew dany was going to burn the place up and he didn't tell anyone

the jon up north bit was heavily foreshadowed as BG mentioned, he belonged up there

Just watched the finale again, and enjoyed it much more upon the 2nd watch. Actually, with the exception of episode 4, and the final 35ish minutes of episode 5, I've found most of this seasons episodes better upon rewatch. 

On Bran as King, I actually didn't mind this the first time watching. Again it does feel rushed, but they've already hinted a few times at the idea that the best leaders are likely those who don't actually want to rule. Would I have preferred that Jon become King, with his first and last act as a ruler to dismantle the entire system? Yes, but I think the idea that they've taken their first steps toward modernising is probably more realistic. 

On Bran being the ultimate villain who saw all this coming and let it happen... I get it, because of his line about coming all this way, but I think that was him, basically, being cheeky and playing up his image as the Three-Eyed Raven. In the show, and the books I believe, Greensight has always been more fragmented than looking back at the past, so I doubt he saw all this coming and let it happen. Though that is implied somewhat.

I like that the North gets it's independence, though I find it really unbelievable that the heads of the other 6 kingdoms are just fine with this, particularly Yara, as she was promised independence for the Iron Islands by Dany.

Speaking of Yara, loved Arya shutting her up with the threat of death.

With Drogon burning the Iron Throne, I'm of the mindset that he did this not because he couldn't kill Jon due to the Targaryen blood, but because he knew that the real cause of Dany's death was her obsession with the throne. Dragons in the books are highly intelligent and have a mental link with their Targaryen riders so he would have known this already. 

John "taking the black" was clearly a ruse for Grey Worm's benefit, and he's actually the new King beyond the wall, which I find quite satisfying, as endings go. Mance Rayder version 2.0. And he gets to be with Ghost again. There was a moment at the end where I did think they were going to drop some hint that the White Walkers were still out there, and the cycle would begin a new, but apparently not. 

On the whole, I think it was good enough to salvage what could have been a disastrous final season. 

2 hours ago, §andman said:

I was really hoping for a WW appearance. That'd have been icing on the cake. 

With the writers that would something that would not even surprise me... like the king of kings night king with an army... but no.. it was actually a good ending for Jon, i liked it a lot. He is where he belongs now

8 hours ago, Barilko's Ghost said:

Just watched the finale again, and enjoyed it much more upon the 2nd watch. Actually, with the exception of episode 4, and the final 35ish minutes of episode 5, I've found most of this seasons episodes better upon rewatch. 

On Bran as King, I actually didn't mind this the first time watching. Again it does feel rushed, but they've already hinted a few times at the idea that the best leaders are likely those who don't actually want to rule. Would I have preferred that Jon become King, with his first and last act as a ruler to dismantle the entire system? Yes, but I think the idea that they've taken their first steps toward modernising is probably more realistic. 

On Bran being the ultimate villain who saw all this coming and let it happen... I get it, because of his line about coming all this way, but I think that was him, basically, being cheeky and playing up his image as the Three-Eyed Raven. In the show, and the books I believe, Greensight has always been more fragmented than looking back at the past, so I doubt he saw all this coming and let it happen. Though that is implied somewhat.

I like that the North gets it's independence, though I find it really unbelievable that the heads of the other 6 kingdoms are just fine with this, particularly Yara, as she was promised independence for the Iron Islands by Dany.

Speaking of Yara, loved Arya shutting her up with the threat of death.

With Drogon burning the Iron Throne, I'm of the mindset that he did this not because he couldn't kill Jon due to the Targaryen blood, but because he knew that the real cause of Dany's death was her obsession with the throne. Dragons in the books are highly intelligent and have a mental link with their Targaryen riders so he would have known this already. 

John "taking the black" was clearly a ruse for Grey Worm's benefit, and he's actually the new King beyond the wall, which I find quite satisfying, as endings go. Mance Rayder version 2.0. And he gets to be with Ghost again. There was a moment at the end where I did think they were going to drop some hint that the White Walkers were still out there, and the cycle would begin a new, but apparently not. 

On the whole, I think it was good enough to salvage what could have been a disastrous final season. 

This. It really was a solid send off, even if it was a bit.... predetermined? 

I think we all knew when Arya said she wasn't a lady she was just going to go do her own thing. 

And when Sansa started moving against Dany, we all felt she was getting to either fight for the North independence,  or just receive it as good will when it was all said and done. 

I just dont like how it came to a halt in 20 minutes. Just, 3 episodes, 1 between Dany obliterating the main forces and then scorched earth on KL and 2 to send the series off, to better explain why after talking with Tyrion Jon suddenly felt he had to kill Dany. Let Dany rule for an episode, let Arya flesh out her plan beyond "I'm going west because the maps end there". 

All in all, I really enjoyed it though. I really like where everyone ended up (I still would have preferred everyone losing, but that's just me)

Much like the ending of Lost, now that I know how this ends, not sure if I'll ever watch it again anytime soon.

Thanks for fucking that up HBO. You just made my list:

Boston Bruins

Toronto Maple Leafs

HBO/ Game of Thrones

Doug Ford/ PCs

Trudeau/Liberals

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Lost

People who don't signal.

Valar morghulis.