Sign in to follow this  
Rockweiler

Life After Cable

So this discussion started last night in NO.  I've been thinking a lot lately about cancelling our cable subscription.  I'm currently paying $180/month for phone + internet + cable.  

We recently upgraded our cellphone plans to include Unlimited Nationwide calling which is important with my wife's family living long-distance.  This should allow me to seamlessly cut home phone from the equation.

Here are the details for my existing internet plan, which would cost $75/month as a stand-alone service:

• Up to 20 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload
  • Easily support 3 simultaneous online HD video streams
  • Select and begin streaming an online HD movie in less than 5 seconds
  • No usage based billing
  • Eastlink Internet is available without term contracts
  • Always on, no need to connect
  • Powered by Eastlink's fibre optic network
  • 5 email addresses are included
  • With Eastlink webmail, you can access your Eastlink e-mail from anywhere
  • AntiSPAM and virus filter on e-mail included
  • 24/7 Customer support
  • Please note that Internet speeds may be affected by computer set-up, applicable network management practice or other factors.

------------

Considerations:

- "Background TV" -- we pretty much have the TV on in the background all day long -- during the day my wife plays music from the music channels, during the evening we watch a multitude of shitty TV.. mostly out of convenience alone, because it's there -- we'd likely replace daytime background music with Spotify

- Kids -- One 12.5 month old and another due in November means we've got a few years of cartoons on the go.  Between cheap DVDs, netflix and illegal downloads, I'm certain we've got this covered fairly easy.

- Sporting events -- This is the big one.  It's the lone reason why I haven't already dumped cable.

TBPH, I pretty much only watch hockey at this point in my life.  My wife and kid garner the majority of my attention and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the lone survivor from my previous sports addiction -- I no longer watch the Jays, Raptors, Golf, Football, or anything else really.  The Leafs I can pretty much cover off with Game Center Live (I learned of the advantages and limitations of GCL last night), so my two main concerns would be:

1) No more SportsCenter which I watch every day before work

2) Issues with special events -- Olympics, World Juniors, etc

I guess that'd be the main sacrifice I'd be making.

------------

So, my plan would include going from $180/mth to $75/mth by dropping cable and home phone.  To the $75/mth I'd (likely) be adding:

Internet - $75/mth

GameCentre Live (PS4) - $16.58/mth (equivalent monthly cost for $199 annual)

CraveTV (PS4?)- $4/mth (maybe.. don't know if I necessarily need this with an existing Netflix subscription)

So I'd be paying $95.58/mth with Crave, $91.58/mth without, versus $180/mth at the moment.  Almost half of what I'm paying now.

------------

Time for your involvement.  I'm looking for:

- Considerations I haven't...well...considered.

- Advice from your experience in dumping cable.

- Any other media sources I should know about?

Heh, I just did this too. I watch Netflix and watched TV for hockey. I dumped cable and phone this month. I was paying 112 but I'd rather take the money saved and upgrade my internet. Not as much savings as you, I only paid 112 because of my nice 6 month deal that runs out next month. My internet will only cost 80 and I get 50 down and 5 up.

Get a VPN service. Costs me 4 bucks a month, and I change to the States to watch stuff we don't get here, and then change to an overseas location like the UK to get their stuff. It's very much worth it

Heh, I just did this too. I watch Netflix and watched TV for hockey. I dumped cable and phone this month. I was paying 112 but I'd rather take the money saved and upgrade my internet. Not as much savings as you, I only paid 112 because of my nice 6 month deal that runs out next month. My internet will only cost 80 and I get 50 down and 5 up.

Get a VPN service. Costs me 4 bucks a month, and I change to the States to watch stuff we don't get here, and then change to an overseas location like the UK to get their stuff. It's very much worth it

My wife and I have been talking this over and I told her about the ability to do that.  I downloaded the Hola Google extension and tried to use it to stream something from ABC.com and it didn't work.  I guess I need a pay service for it to work?

I tried it last night (on your recommendation @ ) and the video on ABC.com would not load.  It's possible I'm not doing something right as I've never used it before, but it seemed fairly straight forward -- I clicked the flame, picked the US flag, the flame turned to a US flag (which I assumed meant I had obtained a US IP) and I tried to load the video to no avail.

The biggest issue I cam foresee is your wife not knowing how to work anything, which can be an issue if she's home alone.

I try to make everything as easy as possible in my house and it's still constantly screams for me to fix something.

The biggest issue I cam foresee is your wife not knowing how to work anything, which can be an issue if she's home alone.

I try to make everything as easy as possible in my house and it's still constantly screams for me to fix something.

Nah, my wive's savvy enough to get by.  I've got a Harmony remote that does all of the work on my home theatre, she already knows how to use Netflix on the PS4 and I'm guessing Crave wouldn't be much different.  She's the one who downloads all of our movies, tv shows, etc and transfers them to our media centre PC, etc.  I've very few concerns about that, should be a non-issue.

GCL was garbage on the PS4 for me and everyone i've talked to. it just plays like shit. i still recommend hockeystreams, but i understand the uncertainty in it. 

i would advise getting a Roku over using the PS4. it handles streams so much better than the ps4, in my experience. GCL worked great on my Roku (hockeystreams quality is actually better than the official GCL app quality, btw :)), it also has spotify, netflix, hulu, etc.

other options would be the nexus player, chromecast, etc. although i don't think the chromecast supports GCL yet, or if it ever will.

as for a VPN, i pay $7/mo for Private Internet Access(PIA) and it's phenomenal. cheaper options if you go by 6 month or annual billing

virtual private network. creates a tunnel from your pc to another computer, so it's just as if your computer was on that remote network. so say if i ran a vpn on my pc here in buffalo that tunnels to a server in new jersey, it's as if i'm using my computer on the same network in new jersey.

it's widely used in workplaces for people who work remotely, so they can access their work network. a nice benefit after the fact is that it's fantastic for spoofing your location, so if content is blacked out in your location, run your vpn, now you're in jersey, or miami, or seattle, or wherever you want, and that content is now available to you

One of its uses is that. The other is you can connect to a VPN anywhere with Internet and as far as your Network is concerned, you're actually there. You can access network features like printing, PCs, anything on the network, as if you were there with your computer.

I mainly use it so I can get more from Netflix

EDIT: Now I look like a parrot again :(

Would VPN protect me at all if I were to illegally download movies or TV?*

*Note: Hypothetical question, I've never nor will ever do such a horrid thing!

yep, in fact i would never download torrents on any public tracker without using one

depends on the vpn. you want one that doesn't keep any logs of any traffic, so that if they were to be audited by the authorities, they have nothing pointing back to you

PIA is one such vpn provider, not that you would need a logless vpn

another option is using usenet. most usenet providers offer connections over SSL, meaning your traffic is encrypted, so your ISP has no idea what you're downloading. in this case, you don't need a VPN. your speeds are also much faster than torrents, using your entire downpipe for your download, since it's an HTTP (or HTTPS) connection. it's fantastic for download automation tools such as Sonarr and CouchPotato. although it's not so great for downloading stuff that has aired more than a month ago, or older

One would assume Hola isn't such a provider?

i'm not too familiar with hola, but i believe it's more of a dns spoofer rather than a true vpn, meaning everything you do over the connection can be seen, so it's not a good solution for downloading. it may work for getting around some geo-blocking services, but it's easily detectable, and doesn't work for many services other than netflix

For Television

I've heard about something called Raspberry Pi, which I think is VPN but you more savvy types would have to look it up

raspberry pi is actually a small microcomputer. basically it's a small board the side of a playing card. you can set up a vpn to connect to the raspberry pi, but it's not a vpn in itself. you can use it in projects for home automation, or running media servers through it. really handy machines!

i switch mine up every once in a while. right now i have it set up as an emulation station. it has a frontend for me to cycle through all the roms i have have on there, so i can play nes, snes, n64, psx, roms. it's good fun

before that i had it set up with RasPlex. connects to my plex server and is controllable through your phone because it supports casting, so it's like a chromecast but only for plex. it's pretty nice

http://www.emulationstation.org/

http://www.rasplex.com/

I tried it last night (on your recommendation @ ) and the video on ABC.com would not load.  It's possible I'm not doing something right as I've never used it before, but it seemed fairly straight forward -- I clicked the flame, picked the US flag, the flame turned to a US flag (which I assumed meant I had obtained a US IP) and I tried to load the video to no avail.

Sometimes you have to try a few different VPNs to find one that works. Once you find one, it usually works every time after that.

I use it to watch the BBC iPlayer all the time, as well as accessing UK and US Netflix. Oh, and I use it to tell GCL that I'm in the U.K when TSN Leafs games are blacked out (which is territorial for me, not anything to do with Bell/Rogers).

I have no complaints with GCL, now that I've switched to Firefox. On Chrome it was laggy and terrible quality, with Firefox it's HD and rarely stutters. And by rarely I mean it's done it maybe twice.

Sometimes you have to try a few different VPNs to find one that works. Once you find one, it usually works every time after that.

I use it to watch the BBC iPlayer all the time, as well as accessing UK and US Netflix. Oh, and I use it to tell GCL that I'm in the U.K when TSN Leafs games are blacked out (which is territorial for me, not anything to do with Bell/Rogers).

I have no complaints with GCL, now that I've switched to Firefox. On Chrome it was laggy and terrible quality, with Firefox it's HD and rarely stutters. And by rarely I mean it's done it maybe twice.

Thanks on both accounts.  Do you know what your up/down speeds are?