Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rockweiler

Life After Cable

Recommended Posts

On 8/6/2018 at 6:38 PM, Sypher_04 said:

I do this crazy thing called paying for content now. Always works. Always good quality. I don't say this as a holier than though type of sentiment at all just that all the pirating options fucking suck and aren't worth my time.

Oooooh Mr. Bigshot with his fancy job that allows him to pay for cable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's still too much. Basic cable here is 60 bucks and even with more shit added on there's nothing to watch on it. I had it for years just for hockey but fuck it it's pretty easy to stream most everything for less than that cost for internet alone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nipzie said:

That's still too much. Basic cable here is 60 bucks and even with more shit added on there's nothing to watch on it. I had it for years just for hockey but fuck it it's pretty easy to stream most everything for less than that cost for internet alone 

LOL what garbage ass internet are you getting for less than $25 per month? I mean, I know our telecom prices suck, but cable just doesn't strike me as one that's overly effected unless you're buying up all the channels/options

Basic rogers cable is like $18. It's pretty barebones, so more like $40 I guess to include the sports and shit. Bundle discounts help.

I get it's not for everyone, but I pay $110/month for 500mbps internet, TV with all the sports channel (and 4K), which just doesn't strike me as that terrible.

Value is in the eye of the beholder though. I actually like several network TV shows. I'd much rather pay the $25-30 these days than deal with the headaches of pirated streams, or have to download torrents use a vpn etc.

My time is worth more than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sypher_04 said:

LOL what garbage ass internet are you getting for less than $25 per month? I mean, I know our telecom prices suck, but cable just doesn't strike me as one that's overly effected unless you're buying up all the channels/options

Basic rogers cable is like $18. It's pretty barebones, so more like $40 I guess to include the sports and shit. Bundle discounts help.

I get it's not for everyone, but I pay $110/month for 500mbps internet, TV with all the sports channel (and 4K), which just doesn't strike me as that terrible.

Value is in the eye of the beholder though. I actually like several network TV shows. I'd much rather pay the $25-30 these days than deal with the headaches of pirated streams, or have to download torrents use a vpn etc.

My time is worth more than that.

We don't have Rogers here. My internet is less than cable or satellite and it's actually 60 Mbps unlimited. I can download a show in under 5 minutes. I just don't find most shows worth watching. It's just bullshit on it. I go to other people's place and surf through their channels and I don't see the value (for me anyway). And I hate being locked to a time to watch something, I've never had a PVR system because that ups the price some. I honestly have almost no hassle finding a stream. Sports would be the hardest but with Reddit it's pretty easy. I've never used the android boxes, just find a decent streaming site and stick to it until it dies out over a few years then find another. I have honestly used like 3 sites for streaming in the last 10 years. If that fails I torrent or buy it if I really like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nipzie is using Cogeco that's the same package my wife and I had. We've dumped them for Bell Fibe. TV and Internet cost us about the same as before with Cogeco but internet is faster a lot faster.

I watch most of my stuff online but my wife and I still like to have cable for the few shows we watch together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AoR said:

Nipzie is using Cogeco that's the same package my wife and I had. We've dumped them for Bell Fibe. TV and Internet cost us about the same as before with Cogeco but internet is faster a lot faster.

I watch most of my stuff online but my wife and I still like to have cable for the few shows we watch together.

Yeah man, you get the Northumberland struggle. Bell was also shit for internet in my subdivision but they're putting in fibre optic so I may try to upgrade in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of downgrading cable and upgrading internet to unlimited bandwidth. I just want to make sure that I keep all the SN and TSN channels as well as the main networks I watch. CTV2 moving around shows is the only thing about downgrading I'm undecided about since I don't know what network those shows are moving too.

 

Rogers 3rd tier bundle I might get. Possibly 2nd with add-ons. Any suggestions /advice? And yes, I'm sticking with Rogers. I bought a box years ago(refurbished clearance somehow with warranty, so I returned the box for a brand new one lol), so I'm keeping Rogers.

 

Also, does streaming work on channels you don't get? Like if my plan doesn't include SN360 but I get all the other SN channels, could I still stream SN360 on their website?

Edited by majingir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×