(M1) WSH 2
(WC1) CAR 1
(M2) NYI 4
(M3) PIT 0
Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Leafs Prospects Thread

Stuff about Leafs prospects at the current WJC Exhibition games:

Now by chance I have been in Lake Placid the last 4 days and have been to the games between USA white/Blue against Sweden and Finland and today:

Canada vs. Finland and USA vs. Sweden.

I saw more or less pro scouts from all teams including a couple of ex Leafs like Brian Burke, JFJ jr. and McCabe. Leafs had a couple of scouts there including Claude Loiselle who has been here both days.

OK – so Leafs prospects:

Dominic Toninato: Did not have a particular good game on Monday and didn’t play for USA today. IMO a long shot for even making the Leafs if his performance on Monday isn’t a one time off.

Rupert is basically a royal pain and did get time on the PK and did a very good job. Could in a couple of years make the 4th line and be special team player.

Finn was a big surprise to me. Composed, skillful and able to order his team mates around to cover the ice. He has a good overview and is good at foreseeing how the game develops. Good outlet pass and he position himself well.

First two period Sutter had Finn on the first PK unit and he did an excellent job.

Gauthier was centering Shinaruk and Mantha and did a an excellent job. Sutter put out that line everytime that he needed to control the game. Good overview and positioning. Scored a goal which started with him gaining control of the puck and moving it forward.

Defensively he is a good as proclaimed and offensively he is in IMO a lot better than expected. In a couple of years he will be a really-really good defensive forward that can control the game and close down the other team while still contributing with a lot of offense.

Still needs to work on the faceoffs.

With Gauthier I think Nonis and Co made a steal at the draft.

Source

What do people think of this list:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681197&navid=DL|TOR|home

Leafs top 10 prospects:(according to NHL.com)
1.Rielly(D)
2.Colborne©
3.Granberg(D)
4.Gauthier©
5.Finn(D)
6.Biggs(RW)
7.Ashton(RW)
8.Percy(D)
9.Leivo(LW)
10.McKegg©

I hope all those Dmen can have good careers in NHL. Cause Leafs biggest need today is D, and if those prospects can all make it to the NHL within next 3-5 years, Leafs could have great D pairings. Imagine Leafs D in 5 years consisting of Gardiner,Rielly,Granberg,Finn,Percy and 1 other person. If those guys live up to their potentials, wonder where that'd rank among NHL defenses.

IMO Levio should be (or will be) higher. The guys has real top 6 potential imo.

Him and Mckegg will probably be in a top 6 role with the Marlies next season, so hopefully they make the most of it. If they can get some chemistry going now, we might see them play together with the Leafs in 2-3 years

Nilsson even throws some hits, so bonus.

At one point (perhaps when he was drafted, I can't really remember when or by whom) I recall someone stating that he's one of the best checking defencemen in Europe. Does anyone know if there's any credibility in that statement?

Edited by OrneryOgre

Nilsson even throws some hits, so bonus.

Not discounting you by any means so sorry if it sounds so, but where have you seen him really play? Is there a good website that streams overseas games because I haven't found it.

Not discounting you by any means so sorry if it sounds so, but where have you seen him really play? Is there a good website that streams overseas games because I haven't found it.

A little bit at World Juniors and reports from people more in the Know.

"Nilsson says he doesn’t model himself after any particular player, but tries to look at many defenders and take the parts of their game that make sense. He’s got a special affection for hitting.

“That’s something that I want to contribute to the team. I feel that it gives energy to the team,” said Nilsson."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/01/02/world_juniors_leaf_prospect_tom_nilsson_excels_for_sweden.html

Edited by HBCYG

A little bit at World Juniors and reports from people more in the Know.

"Nilsson says he doesn’t model himself after any particular player, but tries to look at many defenders and take the parts of their game that make sense. He’s got a special affection for hitting.

“That’s something that I want to contribute to the team. I feel that it gives energy to the team,” said Nilsson."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/01/02/world_juniors_leaf_prospect_tom_nilsson_excels_for_sweden.html

That was a monster hit.

I'm curious as to how his skating is as he's not the biggest guy throwing those hits, but then again neither is a guy like Kronwall.

Andreas Johnson is on fire to start the season in the SHL. He has 8 points through 8 games in what was formerly the SEL. Could this guy be a huge steal for us?

I was reading others saying that a player of his age playing on the first line in the SHL is a pretty rare thing. He's young, pretty small, and playing overseas though, so we'll see. Could be a late round steal

Connor Brown has 6 goals and 7 assists in just 6 games for Erie. I mean it's draft +2 year so he should be putting up some big points but good to see one of our late rounders doing good work.

Carter Verhaeghe is 11th in OHL scoring with 11 points in just 7 games. Good to see he has stepped up since guys like Strome/Ritchie left Niagara. 

Fabrice Herzog has 8 points in 9 games so far in his first season in the Q. 

Frederik Gauthier has 5 points in 7 games. For a guy who isn't supposed to be offensively talented, putting up almost a PPG in the early goings is cool. Plus apparently Saturday  night he filled some dude in pretty good in a fight (which was his first fight). 

Johnson now has 9 points in 9 games. He's one of the prospects I've been following closely since as Kez mentioned, he's a 19 year old playing in a pro men's league and he's putting up a PPG so far.

With all this said I've never seen any of these guys play in person, I'm just reading stat sheets. But so far the stat sheets look good for us so far!

McKenzie tweeted this yesterday, thought I'd post it here.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

TOR prospect Josh Leivo (Kitchener) just went bar down in Brampton for his 26th of season. Leivo is a good prospect. Leafs are high on him.

Josh Leivo is a stellar player! Called it even before pre-season. Think he'll get mad if we all start calling him Frattin?

Edited by Megleitch