Sign in to follow this  
doctorkong

Marlies will have new coaches

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=768165

Toronto Maple Leafs’ Assistant General Manager Kyle Dubas announced changes to the Toronto Marlies coaching staff on Tuesday as Gord Dineen will not return as head coach. Dineen however has been offered a position to remain on as an associate coach while the Club announced it will begin its search for a new head coach immediately. Associate coach Derek King was relieved of his duties while assistant coach Ben Simon has been offered another position within the organization.

Named head coach on July 15, 2014, Dineen had also served as the Marlies’ assistant coach in their five previous seasons. In 2014-15, the Marlies secured the seventh seed with 87 points and a 39-28-9 regular season record but were eliminated from the Calder Cup playoffs in the first round, losing the best-of-five series against the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) three games to two.

Keefe to Marlies is imminent it seems. 

Apparently Sheldon like analytics. :)  

It's ok to like analytics..... It's another thing to use the right ones that apply to your particular team (unlike how the fans around message boards just throw every fancy stat at the wall)

So what are the right ones that apply to the Leafs?  Plus you obviously missed my joke...

big-bang-theory_l12.jpg

I don't know... the team is still a mess and hasn't been changed yet.... and also thats for the the professionals who will be getting the big bucks to decide.... Not random joe blow who reads all the fancy stats and claims they all apply and can be used to asses individuals within any type of build and coaching style.

Apparently so does Babs concerning "fancy" stats, unlike Carlyle and Nonis. :)

And Babs has no problem learning them from a 25 year old. ;)

And thats fine... I trust they even know how to weed through them and apply them to certain situations.... You know, very different to your methods of just lumping them all together and pretending they all apply to every situation and build.

Wrong.  Those kind of generalizations are what keep us from getting along.  I don't "lump them all together" as you put it.  Its not my fault you refuse to learn how to interpret data that's more advanced than you're accustomed to. :P

Actually what keeps us from getting along is the fact that I think you lack integrity and you try to change the subject during debates whenever the other person makes a good point and can actually back it up..... Us not getting along has nothing to do with your feelings on the matter.

There is more to analytics than just reading them all and praising the guys at the top of each catagory.... you have to consider your team build, the players styles on that team and what the coach is asking the players to do.

And here I was all this time, thinking the reverse was true.  Keep on, keeping on. :)

I know you felt the reverse was true... we could all tell you thought analytics was just about getting the guy at the top of each catagory and BOOM instant great team!  :lol:

Many people have told you many times that you have to have a well built team with chemistry and the right role players in the right places.... plain and simple, there is way more to it than just reading the fancy stat leader boards, or else guys like Dubas wouldn't get paid so much.

But that's the beauty of the world.  Differing opinions and healthy debate as long as it can be done civilly. ;)

Indeed... thats why I am telling you in a civil way that there is much more to it... as Dubas and Babcock have eluded to.

So what's my argument been regarding advanced stats?  I'll submit that if you're one of the best possession players on your team, your overall personal % might go up or down based on the style of your coach but you will still remain one of the best possession players on your team.

Best possession player is one stat... you have to look deeper into that and how it translates into goals, points, wins with the group you have.

Grabbo for example would often hold onto the puck plenty.... but then accomplish nothing with it except perhaps a shot from a distance that turned into a rush in the other direction.

I doubt the top analytics guys in the NHL just look at the stats and try to get the guys who lead each catagory..... player styles and types and how they work with your roster have to come into the equation.

Edited by Puq

Yes its one stat, but then you can couple that with even strength P60 and if that player has quite a few more assists that goals, yet has far more scoring chances for than against when he's on the ice, you get a better picture of the kind of player you have.

Much more to it than just those stats bud... it also has to translate on the ice and with the people you have.

If you have a few guys that lead some of those catagories it doesn't mean squat if it doesn't work and produce goals/wins for the team.

That's when you turn to the eye test and use your gut to back it up. :)

But your eyes and gut can also let you down which is why these new stats are all the rage now.

When something has the ability to prove your eyes or gut wrong, you pay attention. ;)

But then you also need to concede that sometimes the stats are misleading and your eyes prove them wrong.

For example Kadri in the shortened season had alot more impact on the whole team and was a big part in that team playing as well as it did.... but were his fancy stats as good as this past season where he was nearly invisible and couldn't create even a fraction of the same team wide energy?

CMac made for a much more productive linemate for Kadri than Clarkson, or Panik.  How do you think Kadri looked this season when he had Santo for a linemate?

Nice try....You are trying to discuss my example to twist out of our debate.