Sign in to follow this  
slapshot

Micheal Sam signs in montreal

“I don’t believe that being gay has kept me off an NFL roster, but I will challenge anyone who says I don’t have the talent to make it in the league,”

you still have to wonder though...  i mean, he was being hyped huge by the media but i guess they were just jumping on the gay train.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/22/cfl-montreal-alouettes-sign-michael-sam?xid=si_social

I don't know how much he was being hyped... at least not by sports media... pretty much everyone wondered if he was going to get drafted at all, and he was considered a long shot to make the team out of camp.

dont be prejudice.

Really dude?

"Shitty football player taken in the 7th round can't make the NFL, ends up in the CFL" is a headline nobody cares about. Throw the word gay in there and suddenly its prejudice to say he's a shitty football player? 

Edited by JKG33

Really dude?

"Shitty football player taken in the 7th round can't make the NFL, ends up in the CFL" is a headline nobody cares about. Throw the word gay in there and suddenly its prejudice to say he's a shitty football player? 

wow that went right over your head...

I actually think he'll do well in the CFL. Didn't he win his conference's top defensive player award? You don't win something like that without talent. I think his lack of size prevented him from really doing well in the NFL, but he will be fine in the CFL

Edited by The Leaf

I actually think he'll do well in the CFL. Didn't he win his conference's top defensive player award? You don't win something like that without talent. I think his lack of size prevented him from really doing well in the NFL, but he will be fine in the CFL

Ya, he should do alright as long as he isn't just doing this for a paycheck and he's not just the type of NFLer who underestimates the difference in game style.

Edited by HBCYG

I didn't read the article and maybe it's over the top, but I can see parallels there. I don't think being an openly gay player in football would be a lot of fun for the player. Which is ridiculous and needs to change because it's 2015.

The difference is Jackie Robinson was an incredible player, Michael Sam is a fringe player so people aren't as quick to make the parallels. Michael Sam isn't good enough for us to know if he got cut just because he's not good enough or if his sexuality played a part.

I certainly get what they were trying to do, and my issue wasn't even about comparing a star player to a nothing player.

It was comparing what Jackie Robinson went through to what Michael Sam is going through.

Now don't get me wrong, I totally respect Michael Sam, and all gay athletes.  I even certainly would agree that Michael Sam is very courageous, and I totally understand that there is a hardship that gay athletes go through that is completely ridiculous and undeserved in 2015.

But I just think you can't even compare what Jackie Robinson went through, to what Michael Sam is going through.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I just think Jackie's struggles were far and beyond worse.  

I am not sure if you know what Michael Sam's struggles are like.

It would be interesting to see if this was a sure fire top ten guy how this situation would play out. It's far too easy to say, "well he's just not good enough" and shrug off any hardships he may have gone through.

Let's be real, there isn't one openly gay player in any of the four make sports in North America. Do we really believe there isn't any gay players? Or do we believe there are and they find it easier to not say. Jackie Robinson couldn't hide that he was black. If he could he probably would have. And that's just plain wrong to have to do.

I am not sure if you know what Michael Sam's struggles are like.

It would be interesting to see if this was a sure fire top ten guy how this situation would play out. It's far too easy to say, "well he's just not good enough" and shrug off any hardships he may have gone through.

Let's be real, there isn't one openly gay player in any of the four make sports in North America. Do we really believe there isn't any gay players? Or do we believe there are and they find it easier to not say. Jackie Robinson couldn't hide that he was black. If he could he probably would have. And that's just plain wrong to have to do.

I don't directly know Michael Sam's struggles, no.

But Jackie received verbal abuse, unfair calls by umpires, pitches intentionally thrown at him.  He'd get hate mail, and death threats.  There was an incident where he was intentionally spiked by a St. Louis Cardinals player in thigh leaving a huge gash.  There was even an incident where the Phillies pointed their bats at Robinson implying  the notion of shooting him dead based on the death threats he received.  And I'm sure he experienced many more brutal and unpleasant moments.

I just don't think Michael Sam's struggles are as severe, and quite frankly I think it undermines what Jackie went through to draw the comparison. 

They bother broke barriers, yes.  They both face(d) struggles, yes.  But I think one went through a significantly tougher time than the other.

For the record the Jackie Robinson thing is probably a little stretching it. I'm sure Sam has never had to stay at a different hotel as his team. But guaranteed he's going to be a target of some shit.

Nope. Just a visible minority that is not gay.

Has it, arguably, been a burden on you so much that it has prevented you from achieving a professional sporting career?