The Gardening Thread

Beautiful 20c day. I walked 6 miles this morning to get it started. Then I began preparing some garden beds and digging some holes for the haskaps and filling them with sheep manure. I'm buying bagged manure now as the local horse manure is way too weedy and I've got all the weeds licked so I don't want them returning.

This afternoon I cut a few loads of firewood and then admired the turtles in my pond. I picked up a couple of turtles on the road a couple of years ago and put them in my pond. They reproduced and now I have a few little ones too.

It was one of those days that makes living in a remote area quite enjoyable.

Continuation of last summer's project, this past weekend we decided to get our hands dirty.  We wanted a flower bed on the right side of the stairs to match the one we put on the left last summer.

Pulled up the sod:

e8lg0w.jpg

2.jpg

Before we put down the new dirt, we sanded and painted this old foundation to give it new life:

3.jpg

We added a new flower garden, vegetable gardens and started the process of leveling out my back yard.  This weekend alone the two of us hauled 3 tonnes of dirt.  Back-breaking work, but it's rewarding.  I sold my truck, but the new trailer and Santa Fe actually allow me to haul MORE than I ever could with the truck:

4.jpg

Looks like a real nice managable garden, smart way to do it. Yard looks great too man, cheers.

Something I learned over the weekend and am about to try sorta like how you just presented in a controlled container system, but my buds told me last year he to some leftover romaine lettuce that he purchased from the grocery store and planted one of the stalks (4 actually) but he said he would just rip off what he needed from the top of the plant (foliage) and it would replenish itself. Thought that was cool so going to go for it and see how it pans out.

Edited by Danny

Looks like a real nice managable garden, smart way to do it. Yard looks great too man, cheers.

Something I learned over the weekend and am about to try sorta like how you just presented in a controlled container system, but my buds told me last year he to some leftover romaine lettuce that he purchased from the grocery store and planted one of the stalks (4 actually) but he said he would just rip off what he needed from the toip of the plant and it would replenish itself. Thought that was cool so going to go for it and see how it pans out.

Yep, that works for sure.  Lettuce grows like CRAZY!  You need to make sure that you pick it before it gets too big, though, or else it gets super bitter and basically inedible.

Re: my yard: It's actually a disaster.  That's something that I'm going to focus on for the next few summers, I want to really work on getting the weeds out and growing some nice lush grass.  It's a big work-in-progress though and it's going to take some time.

Yep, that works for sure.  Lettuce grows like CRAZY!  You need to make sure that you pick it before it gets too big, though, or else it gets super bitter and basically inedible.

Re: my yard: It's actually a disaster.  That's something that I'm going to focus on for the next few summers, I want to really work on getting the weeds out and growing some nice lush grass.  It's a big work-in-progress though and it's going to take some time.

Good points on the lettuce try that, lol and Yes tons of work and it doesn't happen overnight, lots of hard work and tlc, but it become proud moments when it is all said and done nevermind bring up some added value to the home, or by just making the home a home, quite the foundations yes sir. (off to work now. later man) :)

Edited by Danny

Something I learned over the weekend and am about to try sorta like how you just presented in a controlled container system, but my buds told me last year he to some leftover romaine lettuce that he purchased from the grocery store and planted one of the stalks (4 actually) but he said he would just rip off what he needed from the top of the plant (foliage) and it would replenish itself. Thought that was cool so going to go for it and see how it pans out.

Garlic also does this, we've got two years worth (for a normal family) of garlic now. It'll last us through winter. Put that shit on everything.

We've had some tiny garlics, lots of asparagus, and chives. Garlic should be planted in fall for harvest in July. The asparagus and chives are perennials, and usually the first harvest of the spring.

As for last year's crop, we just finished the frozen blueberries but still have some blackberries in the freezer, maybe three pounds.

Garlic also does this, we've got two years worth (for a normal family) of garlic now. It'll last us through winter. Put that shit on everything.

good to know that also, love garlic and when it's fresh all the better, great tip man and I shall try that out as well. Thanks RD

Last week, planted beets, carrots, radishes, spinach and red lettuce among the blueberry, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini and sweet peppers from weeks before.

Dad has snowpeas and runner beans going. And have a plethora of raspberries and strawberries to look forward to, among the collection of herbs from sage, mint, chives, green onions, garlic as well as the German Chamomile that keeps popping up despite not having planted it for years.

I stopped planting zucchini because I got quite ill on it several years ago. We had a very hot dry summer and in such conditions, cucurbitacin is produced which causes severe stomach problems. You should be able to detect it because the zucchini becomes quite bitter but I ate a few bites and regretted it. 

Edited by Lionel Asbo

My dad helped me rip out eight over sized hedge deals tonight after work.  Well him and a tractor.  Got rained on heavily and muddy as fuck, but after seven years they are finally gone.  Some work ahead but it already looks better.  I'll post a series of pictures when I get more finished (and can take pictures of what's been done because it's raining like a mother fucker.)

The house my family moved into in Calgary last year wasn't properly gardened for a decade.

Getting rid of the dandelions on the lawns has been a war of attrition which although I've removed too many to count the lawn still looks more like a giant weed than a lawn. I will not give up and use pesticides! I will never surrender!

I thought we could use my dad's truck, but it was much easier to toss 'em on the wagon with the bucket.  And one wasn't going to come out with a truck, it was a bastard to get out.

Now I need dirt... they left some massive craters behind.

There's a landscaping place by my house where I get all of my dirt.  They sell GOOD QUALITY garden soil (triple mix of manure, loam and soil) for $15/half yard.  I can haul about 1 yard at a time in my trailer, so it costs me $30/fill when I go there.  I think I remember reading that 1 yard of soil is equal to about 30 bags that they sell at HD/Lowes/CT/etc.  Considering they sell each of those bags for $2.50-4.00 ($75-120), the 'bulk' soil from the landscape place is a steal of a deal.

The house my family moved into in Calgary last year wasn't properly gardened for a decade.

Getting rid of the dandelions on the lawns has been a war of attrition which although I've removed too many to count the lawn still looks more like a giant weed than a lawn. I will not give up and use pesticides! I will never surrender!

I've been in my house fighting that battle for 4 years and it's still a losing fight.  Good luck!

(Semi) Unrelated:

I've got a rather large (probably 3 square feet) ant hill that has been in the middle of my back yard since I've owned the house (and seems to be getting bigger every year).   I've tried raking it down, but the little fuckers are resilient.  Anyone got any tips to get rid of the cocksuckers?

P.S. I have dogs, so I'd prefer to not use any chemicals.

(Semi) Unrelated:

I've got a rather large (probably 3 square feet) ant hill that has been in the middle of my back yard since I've owned the house (and seems to be getting bigger every year).   I've tried raking it down, but the little fuckers are resilient.  Anyone got any tips to get rid of the cocksuckers?

One word: Fire

Edited by The Leaf

Half your problem (and Rock's) could be your neighbours. You can beat the fuck outta dandelions but if your neighbour's got 'em, you're usually fucked too.  I always find Weed and Feed knocks 'em down pretty good, but they come back the next year.

There's a landscaping place by my house where I get all of my dirt.  They sell GOOD QUALITY garden soil (triple mix of manure, loam and soil) for $15/half yard.  I can haul about 1 yard at a time in my trailer, so it costs me $30/fill when I go there.  I think I remember reading that 1 yard of soil is equal to about 30 bags that they sell at HD/Lowes/CT/etc.  Considering they sell each of those bags for $2.50-4.00 ($75-120), the 'bulk' soil from the landscape place is a steal of a deal.

That's not bad.  I'm not going to be planting anything exciting (mostly this is an upgrade to sell, but I should have done it long ago) so I'm using some free dirt from the guy who let us use the the tractor because he just built a shed, looks decent enough for my doing and it'll get covered in stones anyway.

As for the ants, I've always used chemicals, so beats me.

(Semi) Unrelated:

Boiling lava hot water. Just pour it right down.

Eventually they'll come back, but at least you get to laugh manically as you make ant soup out of those bastards. MWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!