Sign in to follow this  
Kulemin

About to pull the trigger on a new laptop.. thoughts?

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?oc=ni157559_btsb_h5718e

I was also looking at the new XPS-13s but then I saw this and it's an absolute beast. 

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)]

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

1tb Hybrid HardDrive is the only weak spot. 

4K screen.

What do you want out of this machine? I hope it's not battery life and portability.

It's a nice gaming laptop, how's the ram? If you're going to be plugged in mostly, and don't care about only getting 3-4 hours on battery, less with intense use.

I made the mistake of buying a gaming laptop years ago. It just wasn't a good decision for me. I'd much rather have a decent gaming desktop and a nice portable Ultrabook any day. But that's just me. I never had the urge to play video games on the go

What do you want out of this machine? I hope it's not battery life and portability.

It's a nice gaming laptop, how's the ram? If you're going to be plugged in mostly, and don't care about only getting 3-4 hours on battery, less with intense use.

I made the mistake of buying a gaming laptop years ago. It just wasn't a good decision for me. I'd much rather have a decent gaming desktop and a nice portable Ultrabook any day. But that's just me. I never had the urge to play video games on the go

I never find myself running out of battery life on my shit laptop right now. The screen is going out on this laptop and it's been fairly unreliable. 

I wouldn't be playing too many new games on it. Running GTA V would be wonderful. The i7 is what really turns me on to the laptop and the 4k screen. 

My other option the Dell XPS 13 is much more portable and has a better battery life

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Dell-XPS-13/productID.327148700?icid=Computers_EN_ModA_XPS13Shop_102215

1259 after the educational discount. It's still an HD screen but it's an i5 and no dedicated graphics but it atleast has 8gb ram and a 128 gb ssd. The space on the harddrive doesn't bother me as I don't store a lot of stuff on my laptop/

Are you intending it for games? Because tbh as someone who just briefly owned a laptop loaded with a GTX 960M, I have to say it's not as strong a gaming card as you may expect going into it. While it may handle many games now on even up to medium-high settings, I wouldn't expect it to have much in the way of longevity at all. It's pretty good laptop wise, but overall, I found it a bit underwhelming.

You have to decide what is right for your personally situation, but I'd agree with Steve, it may be more advantageous to have a desktop for games, and a laptop be more of an ultrabook. This is the same conclusion I eventually came to, which lead to my returning the laptop I mentioned previously.

Are you intending it for games? Because tbh as someone who just briefly owned a laptop loaded with a GTX 960M, I have to say it's not as strong a gaming card as you may expect going into it. While it may handle many games now on even up to medium-high settings, I wouldn't expect it to have much in the way of longevity at all. It's pretty good laptop wise, but overall, I found it a bit underwhelming.

You have to decide what is right for your personally situation, but I'd agree with Steve, it may be more advantageous to have a desktop for games, and a laptop be more of an ultrabook. This is the same conclusion I eventually came to, which lead to my returning the laptop I mentioned previously.

What did you go with now? A Surface Pro 4? 

I'd go for the surface but I'd be doing some coding on my laptop and I'd dislike the case/keyboard set up. How do you find the surface for typing?

I never find myself running out of battery life on my shit laptop right now. The screen is going out on this laptop and it's been fairly unreliable.

I wouldn't be playing too many new games on it. Running GTA V would be wonderful. The i7 is what really turns me on to the laptop and the 4k screen.

My other option the Dell XPS 13 is much more portable and has a better battery life

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Dell-XPS-13/productID.327148700?icid=Computers_EN_ModA_XPS13Shop_102215

1259 after the educational discount. It's still an HD screen but it's an i5 and no dedicated graphics but it atleast has 8gb ram and a 128 gb ssd. The space on the harddrive doesn't bother me as I don't store a lot of stuff on my laptop/

Yeah so that i7, screen, and gpu combo is going to murder your battery. If you're not specifically buying it to play games on, I'd say it's a mistake. Especially if you have a desktop you can toss some new parts into

I'd go for the surface but I'd be doing some coding on my laptop and I'd dislike the case/keyboard set up. How do you find the surface for typing?

Yeah, I bought an SP4. They are pretty expensive though admittedly. Not exactly the most amazing value.

I use mine for coding. The new Type Cover keyboard is actually fantastic. My best recommendation would be to try it in a store if it's something that interests you.

This all said. I don't think you were on a bad track with the Dell machines either. Just wanted to make sure you had some background on the 960M.

Price wise, you're getting more bang for your buck from a traditional laptop and you may yet find long sessions of typing more comfortable.

Also, regarding 4K screens. They are not always what they're cracked up to be right now. A laptop with a good quality Full HD resolution screen is more than ample, and perhaps even preferable. This is especially true when you consider the cost premium and size of the screen in question.

Some applications on windows are very poor about following dpi scaling standards. And the result can be tiny, near unreadable windows.

They've made improvements to the surface pro 4 keyboard. It's still probably not great for long term coding though.

What kind of coding will you be doing? If that's going to be a big use of the laptop, that should determine what machine you get. The Asus zenbook with the i5 might be a good bet. Great battery life. Fanless design. Good price point. Can easily toss a Linux distro on there if you're going to be getting into web coding and git etc

They've made improvements to the surface pro 4 keyboard. It's still probably not great for long term coding though.

What kind of coding will you be doing? If that's going to be a big use of the laptop, that should determine what machine you get. The Asus zenbook with the i5 might be a good bet. Great battery life. Fanless design. Good price point. Can easily toss a Linux distro on there if you're going to be getting into web coding and git etc

I'm not too sure exactly yet. I've heard of all the horror stories about installing Ubuntu on laptops. I'd love to do it but I'd have to do a lot of research before hand. Asus is a possibility too. I bought an Asus laptop a couple years ago that I absolutely loved. They make good quality products. 

The laptop I'd purchased before was a really high end Zenbook and it was pretty fantastic. Didn't have the graphics performance I was looking for, so I opted to get an SP4 and upgrade my desktop graphics instead, but overall it was a great machine. I've really liked most of the Zenbooks I've had a chance to use. 

The 960M will get you by, barely. If you want gaming, you need to look at getting something with more of a punch. Which means the 970M and 980M, which means you're shelling out some dough.

The 980M is about 20% slower than the desktop counterpart, it's beastly. It's what's in my laptop and it's amazing. The 970M is about 5-10% slower than the 980 on top of that. Rough numbers, but you get the idea. Both series of cards handle 1080P resolutions like champs. It's when you start dual monitoring they lag behind. 

The 960M will get you by, barely. If you want gaming, you need to look at getting something with more of a punch. Which means the 970M and 980M, which means you're shelling out some dough.

The 980M is about 20% slower than the desktop counterpart, it's beastly. It's what's in my laptop and it's amazing. The 970M is about 5-10% slower than the 980 on top of that. Rough numbers, but you get the idea. Both series of cards handle 1080P resolutions like champs. It's when you start dual monitoring they lag behind. 

True, I don't think I'll be going with the Dell Inspiron after reviewing what I really need. The processor and dedicated graphics turned me on but you guys brought me back down to reality. The 960M would be good enough for my purposes but than again I'd probably be able to get by with less and better mobility and battery life.

I'm leaning towards a Surface Pro 4 i5 8gb or SurfaceBook. I almost might as ewll get the Surface Book because with the type pad and everything the surface pro 4 would almost be 2000.

I can't really find any Asus Zenbooks from a place I'd buy it from with good enough specs. I don't like HPs either but there are some decent HP Spectres and other HP laptops. 

Edited by Putin

Huge decision for me so I'm thinking it out before I end up buying something.

Dark horse has entered the building. 13 inch Macbook Pro with that retinal display bullshit. Battery life kills the SP4. Price is about the same, actually a bit cheaper. Nothing but good things have been said about Macbooks for years. 

Edited by Putin

Huge decision for me so I'm thinking it out before I end up buying something.

Dark horse has entered the building. 13 inch Macbook Pro with that retinal display bullshit. Battery life kills the SP4. Price is about the same, actually a bit cheaper. Nothing but good things have been said about Macbooks for years. 

I have a 2013 15 inch Macbook Pro and I love it. The battery life is great. The retina bullshit is a real nice display. I really don't have anything bad to say about it.