Sign in to follow this  
Leo

About to pull the trigger on a new laptop.. thoughts?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/HP-Spectre-x360-13-4193nr-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC-Silver/productID.325677200?tduid=(aaa16d4c345b83f3e8a47a2cff78a4ae)(240780)(2316686)(CAqD7bLWUPI-YX8tBBOtMq9NGAIHlaBOAA)()

Well, this is a fantastic deal. Everything I need for just over a grand. The only hitch is it's HP. 

I'm going to some stores right now to play around with some laptops and see which one is best. If i end up liking the Spectre in stores I just might have to pounce.

Last HP I had ran so hot it fried after about 2-1/2 years. I replaced in with a Surface Pro 2 top model and it's still functioning well.

Emma Coronel's Sony i7 ran hot too but it's still going after 5 years, although it does bog down, slightly less so since I loaded W10. I ordered her a new SP4 i7 512 and it'll be shipped Nov 20. The cabling, arc mouse, keyboard and doc are already here.

I'm not too crazy about HP but the Spectre is co-designed by Microsoft so it's encouraging. I'll review more about it when it comes in. Going from an i3 to an i7 and hdd to sdd should be nice. I was too scared to go with the 4gb ram on the SP4. The 8gb edition would have me pushing my budget too far at 1799 and the type cover .  I knew I wouldn't be using the touch and pen as much as I'm more of a laptop guy. I'd be using it as a laptop 90% of the time. 

Also, I have to call Microsoft after my order ships to grab the 10% student discount.

Edited by Putin

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/cat/Surface/categoryID.64517400?icid=CNavDevicesSurfaceEnCa

Holy fuck. The SurfaceBook and Surface Pro 4 are down in price by hundreds of dollars depending on your build. 

@@Raiden

Almost $300 off the i7.

@@Zangief

$175 off the Pro4 with i5 and 8gb and over 200 off the i7.

Edited by Putin

@

You getting the spectre with the stylus? I'm really curious how well the stylus works.

I think I have to buy the stylus. I am really interested in how well it works too. Using the stylus on the surface pro 4 I tried was flawless, I'm hoping for something similar with the specte. 

I just got the shipping conformation last night. I chose express shipping so hopefully it comes in Tuesday.

Just recieved the Hp Soectre 360. I fucking love it so far. It's such a different feel than my last laptop. It's extremely well designed and finished. It's about 3 times as thin as any laptop I've ever owned. I thought the 13 inch screen size would be small but it's not. The screen looks amazing. It is glossy so when the screen is off or it's black you'll see your face in the reflection. Depending on how you look thats a plus or minus. I'm getting used to the keyboard now. It's not bilingual which is good but I've never typed on a non bilingual keyboard. I've also never had a backlit keyboard so this is nice. They keys feel really good to type on tho. The trackpad hasnt got in my way while typing which some people have complained about. I'll comment more later after using this thing a bit more.

Oh and Microsoft Signature series is a fucking blessing. Have you ever bought a laptop without having to spend an hour cleaning up all the bloatware and junk? I fired this thing up and my desktop is fucking empty. 0 Bloatware. It's how it should be.

I plan on going to bestbuy tomorrow because my other laptop has screen issues. I might pick one up from there tomorrow. I'll let you know. I'm not good at drawing with my finger on a tablet but it kind of skips. I looked at reviews on youtube and a stylus gets ride of that problem. I don't know what stylus to get tho. I'd love to be able to take notes with this thing.