Sign in to follow this  
Leo

About to pull the trigger on a new laptop.. thoughts?

@@Zangief @@Komarov @@Raiden

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-13-i7359-8408SLV-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.333111300

does that sound like a good deal? i'm out of the loop. don't know who makes a good laptop or not.

That's literally a carbon copy of my HP Spectre x360. I ordered it off the microsoft store too. I've posted about it in this thread. Same processor, same ram same screen, same flipping capabilitties, same hard drive. It's a fantastic deal. I got mine for $1099 IIRC and it's been worth it. I think mine was a price error tbh. It's currently listed for $1499. At $999 I'd do it if I were you. Dell probably makes a better product than HP too. It's hit or miss with laptop companies now a days. Lenovo has become a shell of what they use to be in terms of quality.

Any questions ask away.

Edited by Komarov

That's literally a carbon copy of my HP Spectre x360. I ordered it off the microsoft store too. I've posted about it in this thread. Same processor, same ram same screen, same flipping capabilitties, same hard drive. It's a fantastic deal. I got mine for $1099 IIRC and it's been worth it. I think mine was a price error tbh. It's currently listed for $1499. At $999 I'd do it if I were you. Dell probably makes a better product than HP too. It's hit or miss with laptop companies now a days. Lenovo has become a shell of what they use to be in terms of quality.

Any questions ask away.

How are you enjoying your laptop right now? I've been with my MacBook so long that I'm not sure how the switch back to a Windows machine would go. But I like that I could pay under $1300 for it, with the added protection.

@@Zangief

Dell makes added good laptop then?

I've personally only ever owned Dell laptops. My current one is the Inspiron 17" with all the bells and whistles and the thing is fucking bullet proof and operates like a dream.  My kids have bombed it on the floor at every angle, slammed it close, whipped it open and it still looks almost like it did when it came out of the factory.  After typing this out, I am thinking of replacing my kids though.

One thing I'm confused about with the spec list though is. It lists it as a core i7. Which I thought should mean it has a 540 not a 520 integrated card. Maybe its only the 6000 skus

the surface book has the 520 instead of the 540, unlike the pro 4 which has the 540. I always thought that was lame

Speaking of laptops, i'm looking for one myself.

Last one I owned was the Dell xps 15, it was quite good, I got it back in Holland on a business deal for 999 euros, cause the standard price was 1800 euros. I'm looking for a new one now. Anyone that used to own the same one and upgraded theirs to a better/new one? 

My limit is about 1500CAD, cause if i cant find anything i'll get the MacBook for my video editing.. Which i know, is something completely different..

i bought the late 2015 model xps 13 and i love it. i5 skylake processor, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd. obviously it's not for gaming, but it's the best laptop i've ever owned. got it for 890 on amazon warehouse deals when it was retailing for 1500

it's the the 3200x1800 touch ips infinity display, which is fantastic. basically a 13 inch laptop in a 12 inch frame

Like 1500 plus tax or tax inclusive?

I'd say plus, but then i'd like to compare it to the 'cheaper version' one.

Sometimes they jew you over by saying the one that is 200$ more expensive has a 32 GB SSD drive - whereas the other one does not have the SSD drive and is like 200-300$ cheaper. And really 32GB SSD drive?.. I mean sure, run your windows on it and that's it.. But i'd skip the 32GB SSD.

i bought the late 2015 model xps 13 and i love it. i5 skylake processor, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd. obviously it's not for gaming, but it's the best laptop i've ever owned. got it for 890 on amazon warehouse deals when it was retailing for 1500

it's the the 3200x1800 touch ips infinity display, which is fantastic. basically a 13 inch laptop in a 12 inch frame

That is quite a nice deal, fuck. i would've gotten that one for sure.

I'd use that one for video editting and just use Microsoft based editing programs instead of Apple.

Like 1500 plus tax or tax inclusive?

plus tax

That is quite a nice deal, fuck. i would've gotten that one for sure.

I'd use that one for video editting and just use Microsoft based editing programs instead of Apple.

it was a 'used' product sold by amazon warehouse deals. i have used in quotes because what i determined happened, some guy bought the thing, booted it up, and the dell supportassist said the hard drive was failing, so he returned it. i say that because i almost did the same thing. but after a bit of research, i found out the bios had some issues, and they released a new firmware. flashed the bios, thing has been running like a dream since. this thing is in pristine condition. i can't believe how i lucked out on this

and yeah, adobe premiere and after effects is just as good as final cut pro

How are you enjoying your laptop right now? I've been with my MacBook so long that I'm not sure how the switch back to a Windows machine would go. But I like that I could pay under $1300 for it, with the added protection.

@@Zangief

I love it. It's the most expensive laptop I've bought and I didn't think it'd live up to the price but it does. It'll be hard to ever go back to a normal hard drive after having an SSD. It boots up extremely fast. I got the microsoft protection plan as well because I don't trust HP. I can't really compare to a macbook as I've never had one.