Sign in to follow this  
slapshot

William Nylander.

Marner is more of a winger than a center

Meh.  He's played Centre for London all year long, no?  And I know the Leafs plan on grooming him as a Centre.  But who knows where he'll end up, if he ever makes the NHL?  Marner, Nylander, and if we ever get Matthews......could all be Centres, or they could all end up on the wing.  

IF any of them make it, that is.  

;)

Marner has rotated a bit this year. He's played about 1/3 of the year at center and the rest at the wing

I didn't realize he spent that much time on the wing this year.  There's no doubt he's still too tiny for the role.

But he's the guy I'm hoping for, regardless.  Love his talent and his "heart".  I see a little baby Dougie Gilmour there.

Edited by Holymakinaw

Let's not get carried away, Matthews is 'dominating' a league that is third-rate even by Euro standards. 

Even 'third-rate' is giving it too much credit. The Elitserien is tougher, the SM-Liiga is tougher, the KHL is tougher, the Extraliga is tougher. Even the DEL might be tougher.

Let's not get carried away, Matthews is 'dominating' a league that is third-rate even by Euro standards.

Even 'third-rate' is giving it too much credit. The Elitserien is tougher, the SM-Liiga is tougher, the KHL is tougher, the Extraliga is tougher. Even the DEL might be tougher.

He's 18 and scoring at a very impressive rate in a professional men's hockey league.

He's nothing like Gilmour except in that he's small like he was and has skill. And Matthews is a large, skilled CENTRE playing against men and dominating. He won't be on the wing if he's a Leaf and especially not in favour of Kadri.

Marner is small, super talented, tenacious, and plays a great two-way game.  Just like Dougie Gilmour did.  

And Matthews might indeed play the wing in the NHL.  This typical Leaf fan "there's NO WAY everything won't work out perfectly and our prospect won't become a #1 Centre and dominate the league" attitude is just silly.  We have no idea yet if he'll even make the NHL, let alone play his natural position.  Lots of guys end up having very different careers than what they thought they'd have.  It doesn't mean he's a failure.  It just means that that's how things worked out.

See you back here in 5 years, to see what happened, okay?

:)

Edited by Holymakinaw

it's tough to say if Marner can turn into that type of player when the games get a little tougher... Dougie was small but the dude played like he didn't know it. I'm not sure I see any skilled player with that same size(or lack of) having the same sort of tenacity and ferocity that Gilmour had... comparing anyone to him, especially a Leafs prospect that hasn't played a shift in the NHL is just dumb.

it's tough to say if Marner can turn into that type of player when the games get a little tougher... Dougie was small but the dude played like he didn't know it. I'm not sure I see any skilled player with that same size(or lack of) having the same sort of tenacity and ferocity that Gilmour had... comparing anyone to him, especially a Leafs prospect that hasn't played a shift in the NHL is just dumb.

Well, ALL fans do it, almost every single day on every forum out there.  Comparing prospects to real/oldtime NHLers?  Wha...????  NO!!!  

So dumb.

;)

lol.   I also don't imagine anyone is questioning Matthews skill set just because he's dominating the Swiss-A league.  This guy could have been in the NHL this year.  He's been dominating every league he's been in at centre since he was like 10.