Sign in to follow this  
Armster

TV Thoughts

It's not bad at all. Value is certainly good, and I'm a huge fan of Samsung TVs. I think they are, bar none, the best on the market.

One question though... what are your general thoughts about futureproofing? Like, are you inclined to spend a bit more to be covered for more of the new standards coming? And do you have a budget?

It's not bad at all. Value is certainly good, and I'm a huge fan of Samsung TVs. I think they are bar none, the best on the market.

One question though... what are your general thoughts about futureproofing? Like, are you inclined to spend a bit more to be covered for more of the new standards coming? And do you have a budget?

What should I be looking for to future proof?  I want this to be the last TV I buy for 10 years.  Budget is somewhat movable but I can hardly stomach personally spending more on a TV.

Alright, well, I was going to suggest to look towards this: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-55-4k-ultra-hd-3d-led-tizen-smart-os-tv-un55js8500fxzc-un55js8500fxzc/10368895.aspx?path=fbef876bbd8c21817d2b3145f306833een02

There are some key future pieces of tech missing from the set you're asking about, and honestly, most sets on the market right now. 

The TV you linked is a typical Samsung UHD TV. Let me be clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, however, the TV I linked is their SUHD line. This is a key difference, and normally would result in substantial price hike. The current sale is negating most of that right now though. The primary differences come in a few pieces of new tech. Key to these are 10-bit and HDR or high dynamic range. This is a major boost to the color spectrum of the TV. As 4K HDR blu-ray will have a vastly higher spectrum, which a regular UHD without HDR wouldn't be able to make use of. Also, the one I linked will handle high framerate content, which is also forthcoming. My understanding from when I bought my TV is the line of set you linked from, won't have the HDMI requirements to suppor this.

Additionally, the one I linked includes Samsung's upgradeable One-Connect/Evolution Kit, which allows you to purchase upgrades for your TV to keep it more current over time. The other thing is H.265 encoder. I know for certain the JS8500 has it, and is a netflix 4k enabled device. I'm not positive on the one you linked. This may or may not be important to you. 

The downside is that it's a $500 jump

FWIW. These are the cutting edge 4K tech features. If they aren't supper important to you, I'm sure you'd be very happy with the one you linked. In terms of a 10 year TV though.... There's no question the JS8500 I linked supports more. Also, worth consideration, Rogers will be doing 4K HDR broadcast for Jays and Leafs games starting next year, and 4K blu-ray players and movies are coming in Q1

I... personally, would not buy a 4KTV without HDR.

And curved is nice, but not worth the premium imo. If you were willling to pay for the curve, I'd say skip it, and invest more in the panel itself. The SUHD.

How are the Samsung Smart TV apps? Most of the reviews I've read about Samsungs is their OS is pretty shit and the apps crash a lot.

In my case, I'd imagine that current smart TV OS are going to become somewhat obsolete fairly quickly regardless due to inevitable dynamic changes that such technology always experiences. Plug and play upgrades will probably be available.

10" and a thousand bucks.  I'm not as big into media driven entertainment as many of you so even 1900 bucks seems too much to me man but I do get that it will pay for itself in the future as technology expands and I won't be left behind in the dust.  

The thing I usually tell people who are wrestling with the price being worth it on pricier televisions is this:

Consider for a moment the time we spend on a day to day basis in our cars. For many people, it's somewhere between 1-2 hours. For many more it's even less than that. Yet, generally speaking, we have no issues spending 20, 30, 40, 50, or even more thousands of dollars for what we deem the nicest, or the best, or most featured filled, or best value. Well, a great many of us spend as much, if not more time in front of a TV per week. Watching sports, playing games, watching a movie, watching TV shows. Given the hours of enjoyment and usage you receive from a TV over the lifetime, 5-10 years depending on the person, is the cost at 2, maybe even 3 not going to be amply worth it over the long haul?

I'm currently setting up my wall to become a projection area.

Looking for short throw 1080P projectors. Not going to be cheap. At all.

Looking to do the same. Had an awesome setup for super bowl and got hooked. Likely getting in with entry level equipment, but going to be opening walls, ceiling for proper mounts, surround, hopefully a motorized screen mounted in the floorboards that drops through a slit in the ceiling (that is where I'm most afraid of cost).

Sports and gaming and movies were too awesome on it to not do it.

@@Raiden @@Zangief @@Debaser

What should I be thinking of running to a projector. Since we'll be opening stuff up and running shit anyway, what should I have running to it?

What's the best way to set up the different inputs? Run one HDMI to some form of splitter? Is that even a thing? Or run as many as inputs it has?

The goal is to have the receivers and what not in a separate room/closet (PS4 likely not, though). So I'm thinking sound runs off each PVR/blu-ray/etc to the audio receiver. I dunno, I'm terrible with this stuff and the technical logistics are going to be the toughest part for me.