Sign in to follow this  
Armster

TV Thoughts

Fish and patch is one thing and it can be done but it's an unnecessary pain in the ass IMO.  Another option is wiremold raceway...easy to mount and you can paint it the same colour as the walls and comes in multiple different sizes.

I did wiremold raceway in my old house and it was a MAJOR PITA and they didn't stay adhered to the walls.  If there is ANY other option aside from that I'd pursue it to the fullest before settling for raceway -- last resort IMO.

I'll snap some pics for you tonight.

Fish and patch is one thing and it can be done but it's an unnecessary pain in the ass IMO. Another option is wiremold raceway...easy to mount and you can paint it the same colour as the walls and comes in multiple different sizes.

Is it really invisible once painted? I've seen out come up, I just figure it'd too good to be true.

Is it really invisible once painted? I've seen out come up, I just figure it'd too good to be true.

Yep it is and don't listen to rock he just doesn't have the skills to install it properly.  If your dad can fish and patch he'll be fine putting that in.

Possibly very true.  I also bought the shitty channels from Canadian Tire which probably didn't help my cause.  Having done it both ways, I just know I wouldn't do it again.

Definitely a quality thing.  TI let me clarify that you should get the ones that screw into the wall and not just stick-ons those are shit and you will have nightmarish issues.

My speakers in the basement are 3 at the front (left, centre, right), sub woof at the front and 2 at the back on stands.

My uncle has his rear speakers mounted on the roof and it's more so his settings probably but it sounds awesome for sports.

You do know I was just having a go about your skill level right?  I assume so since you liked my post but want to clarify that as I have no actual idea how handy you are or aren't.

lol yes

Does anyone have the 7.1 channel speaker set up?

My receiver can be used as 7.1 but if you set it up as 7.1 you lose the ability to have Zone 2 (i.e. the two Zone 2 speaker outs either run independently as Zone 2 or in conjunction with Zone 1).  I have them set up in a different room to use them as Zone 2, so my main setup is only 5.1.

You'll have to let me know what is sounds like when you set it up.  Also, I don't know how you are building but if you are going to pick and choose different components make sure you get a powered sub woofer

http://hometheater.about.com/od/loudspeakerssubwoofers/qt/Passive-Subwoofers-Vs-Powered-Subwoofers.htm

You'll have to let me know what is sounds like when you set it up. Also, I don't know how you are building but if you are going to pick and choose different components make sure you get a powered sub woofer

http://hometheater.about.com/od/loudspeakerssubwoofers/qt/Passive-Subwoofers-Vs-Powered-Subwoofers.htm

Likely picking and choosing to get the customization I'd like. I will keep this in mind too.

I'm thinking of going to London Audio, telling them what I want and seeing what an installed cost is. Guessing that's when I'll continue with exactly how I'm planning on doing it.

Likely picking and choosing to get the customization I'd like. I will keep this in mind too.

Good call because you clearly aren't just looking for a HTIB here.  These are all things I learned through trial and error myself.

actually this is probably a good place to ask. i've been dealing with out of sync audio from my tv box. not sure which piece is lagging or what the deal is. but whenever you watch someone talking, the lips are always out of sync by like 1/4 to 1/2 second. it's super annoying. i've been playing with some settings but nothing has helped.

i've got my tv box hdmi to the receiver for video, optical audio for audio, and hdmi to the tv from the receiver

A little update... While work has not started, putting together the system has.  Going to get real lucky with running cables to the a/v closet, someone has pre-fished some wires from where the cable comes into the house to the closet we'll put stuff.  Also will help running some speaker wire to the back channels, so 7.1 is a full on go.  Thinking front towers and in wall rear/surround.

Because I am trying to do it on a budget, going to put together some deals.  Already picked up a receiver, projector, centre channel and a sub.  Receiver is a Denon and supports 7.2, so we're gonna wire up for two subs because the space is large and see if it's necessary (or just wanted.)  Work may not start for a couple of months, but at least having a lot of the stuff makes it a go.

And while I'm trying to piece together things that are priced well, not buying crap either.  Can't see the point in that. 

Excited to see the final product.

I love that you decided to mix and match to maximize price and performance, brilliant.  I have a Denon receiver.. had it almost 10 years now and it's an absolute beaut.  It was near top of the line when I bought it and I'd still put it up against a lot of the receivers on the market today.

This is my plan. The space is pretty large, not sure if that will help or hurt 7.1. But again, since we're starting from nothing, why not?

I'm pretty late to this but like Rockweiler I had the choice between 7.1 and 5.1 with a separate zone for stereo speakers. I ended up choosing 7.1 because there was definitely an audio hole at the sides. No regrets.

Looking like the wiring might finish today... Could be operational tonight, just some finishing touches (electrical to the projector as opposed to an extension cord, patching and painting.)

Taking a while, but when you got connections you use em when they can do it.

Have lots of before pics, looking forward to after pics.

Well, it's up and functional. You can't really see, but some adjustments to be made to the angle. The weight of the projector had settled a bit, so we'll have to adjust the mount slightly (although I'm actually thinking a zip tie would be easier and not noticeable.)

image.jpg

It's pretty dope. There's some painting and patchwork to go, so not the final product (will be painting the fireplace), but it's in good shape. Like some tweaking on speaker placement, but just slightly. The sound is mint. I thought we had a decent system in place... Oh hells no.

Haven't done a movie yet, likely later today. That will be a true test for it.