Sign in to follow this  
Armster

TV Thoughts

Just got a 48 inch Samsung 4K UHD curve tv and it's blowing my mind.

I've always thought there really wasn't much difference between brands or lower end and higher end models, but it appears I've been wrong.

Apparently Best Buy is supposed to send someone over to 'calibrate' the TV with some device, which is supposed to make the picture even better, but I can't see how.

I'll probably be getting a 4K TV either on boxing day or when I'm home in spring. And also probably either an Xbox 1S or PS4 Pro.

Any recommendations? I'm kinda starting from square one here. I've heard great things about samsung. I know Costco had some good deals on LG for black friday, how is LG? Sony is another option, although they're usually overpriced. Also how is a curved TV for gaming? Thats what it would primarily be used for. 

A few that I'm looking at so far: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/compare-result.aspx?ProductIds=10419759%2C10419745%2C10448899&returnPath=%2Fen-CA%2Fsc-33064%2F4k-ultra-hd-tvs%3Ftype%3Dproduct%26NVID%3Dshop%3BTV%2B%26%2BHome%2BTheatre%3B4K%2BUltra%2BHD%2BTVs%3Blnk%3Bc1%3Br2%3Ben%26filter%3DbrandName%253aSAMSUNG%257cSONY%26page%3D1%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26sortDir%3Ddesc

Any other thoughts? Recommendations? 

17 hours ago, JKG33 said:

I'll probably be getting a 4K TV either on boxing day or when I'm home in spring. And also probably either an Xbox 1S or PS4 Pro.

Awesomme dude! That's exciting. 4KTVs are the shit.

Any recommendations? I'm kinda starting from square one here. I've heard great things about samsung. I know Costco had some good deals on LG for black friday, how is LG? Sony is another option, although they're usually overpriced. Also how is a curved TV for gaming? Thats what it would primarily be used for. 

So a few things here...

#1 Samsung makes the best TVs on the market today. 

#2 LG makes a really solid product, particularly for the money. They are not generally at the level of Samsung's top TVs, but in that mid-range they are quality TVs. LGs are a little more budget friendly, but that definitely doesn't mean cheap. Their LEDTVs can be a really good option. Their OLEDs on the other hand are fucking gorgeous... they carry the price tag to match though.

#3 Sony is another option, but my general rule is flagship Sony's or I look elsewhere. Again, not because they make bad TVs, not at all in fact, they just generally represent the least value. On the quality end I take a Samsung every day. On the value end, I'd lean more towards an LG. Kinda of a sticky spot for Sony. I'm also somewhat weary of buying from a company that could see their entire TV business disappear overnight.

#4 The curved screens are nice. And they are totally fine in my experience with gaming. The question you have to ask yourself at the time of purchase though is just if the curve is worth the premium. When I bought, it wasn't. They've softened that price gap now, and maybe it is. But only you can really make that judgement call.

So.. Funny enough, I'm going to turn around and contradict that right now with your comparison. Of those TVs you link. Initial glance to me says NO, NO, and a MAYBE to the Sony. For the budget you've set out on this television there is no reason you shouldn't get a TV with HDR. A TV without HDR is only half of the puzzle that makes these 4KTVs worth the upgrade. The added resolution is great and all, I love the added visual fidelity, but the quality of those pixels color matters. A lot.

IF you can either muster the budget, or the deal presents itself around the time of purchase, the best scenario for a new TV purchase is going to be a Samsung SUHD. The difference between this and a regular Samsung UHD TV is Quantum Dot tech, which widens the color gamut of the TV substantially, resulting in far far more vibrant images. Wide color gamut, HDR, and 4K are the 3 primary elements I'd be looking for in a TV upgrade... if you want it to last.

This said, a 4K HDR TV, even without WCG is likely going to make you very happy. So, if it's just not in the cards, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep over it. Just something worth keeping in mind during the shopping process.

I'm happy to help with any specific questions you may have.

1 hour ago, Sypher_04 said:

Awesomme dude! That's exciting. 4KTVs are the shit.

So a few things here...

#1 Samsung makes the best TVs on the market today. 

Thats what I've heard based on the little bit I've looked at so far. Good to know. 

#2 LG makes a really solid product, particularly for the money. They are not generally at the level of Samsung's top TVs, but in that mid-range they are quality TVs. LGs are a little more budget friendly, but that definitely doesn't mean cheap. Their LEDTVs can be a really good option. Their OLEDs on the other hand are fucking gorgeous... they carry the price tag to match though.

I'll probably lean towards Samsung then. Dumb question maybe, but whats the difference between LED and OLED? 

#3 Sony is another option, but my general rule is flagship Sony's or I look elsewhere. Again, not because they make bad TVs, not at all in fact, they just generally represent the least value. On the quality end I take a Samsung every day. On the value end, I'd lean more towards an LG. Kinda of a sticky spot for Sony. I'm also somewhat weary of buying from a company that could see their entire TV business disappear overnight.

Definitely want the better quality. Samsung does seem like a better option when factored in price vs sony and quality vs LG. Just looking at best buy and they have way more samsung than anything else. 

#4 The curved screens are nice. And they are totally fine in my experience with gaming. The question you have to ask yourself at the time of purchase though is just if the curve is worth the premium. When I bought, it wasn't. They've softened that price gap now, and maybe it is. But only you can really make that judgement call.

I'll have to see in store but right now I'd be leaning towards regular. Don't think curved is worth it at the moment. 

So.. Funny enough, I'm going to turn around and contradict that right now with your comparison. Of those TVs you link. Initial glance to me says NO, NO, and a MAYBE to the Sony. For the budget you've set out on this television there is no reason you shouldn't get a TV with HDR. A TV without HDR is only half of the puzzle that makes these 4KTVs worth the upgrade. The added resolution is great and all, I love the added visual fidelity, but the quality of those pixels color matters. A lot.

IF you can either muster the budget, or the deal presents itself around the time of purchase, the best scenario for a new TV purchase is going to be a Samsung SUHD. The difference between this and a regular Samsung UHD TV is Quantum Dot tech, which widens the color gamut of the TV substantially, resulting in far far more vibrant images. Wide color gamut, HDR, and 4K are the 3 primary elements I'd be looking for in a TV upgrade... if you want it to last.

This said, a 4K HDR TV, even without WCG is likely going to make you very happy. So, if it's just not in the cards, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep over it. Just something worth keeping in mind during the shopping process.

Beautiful. Thats exactly the type of info I was hoping to get here. I didn't know the importance of HDR. 

So based on that, how are these two? The main difference I can see is one being SUHD and the other not http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/compare-result.aspx?path=be9fb4c060d680084514dcccdfd5f6a3en99&ProductIds=10419763,10414914&ReturnPath=%2fen-CA%2fsc-33064%2f4k-ultra-hd-tvs%3ftype%3dproduct%26NVID%3dshop%3BTV%2b%26%2bHome%2bTheatre%3B4K%2bUltra%2bHD%2bTVs%3Blnk%3Bc1%3Br2%3Ben%26page%3d1%26sortBy%3dprice%26sortDir%3dasc%26filter%3dbrandName%253aSAMSUNG%26query%3dks8000

Obviously it depends on what deals are available so I'm not sure now if SUHD is in the budget or not. 

I'm happy to help with any specific questions you may have.

What is the difference between downscaled and upscaled in regards to 4k and 1080p?

58 minutes ago, Sypher_04 said:

Is 49" a maximum size you were entertaining?

Also something to keep an eye out for will be bundle deals. Where they pack an Xbox One S or PS4 Pro with a 4K HDR display for added savings. Some of these kinds of deals I've seen at Best Buy for example have been tremendously good value.

I don't have a whole lot of space to work with, I think 55" is my maximum. Might be able to squeeze in 60" but that seems excessive lol. I'm at 42" in that space right now. 

Good to know. I remember seeing some of those bundles, but not anytime recently. Is that usually a boxing day thing? Since I'd be buying a new console regardless a bundle would be ideal. 

Thanks for all the help syph! 

OLED vs LED is all about contrast. Like Raiden said, truer blacks, whiter whites etc. The colors on an OLED are the best you'll find, but a quantum dot display manages close to the same production from LED tech which is much much cheaper to produce.

Don't get hung up on their 1080p downscaled or 4k upscaled info. It's written confusing, but it's nothing to be concerned about. Your 4K content will display in native 4K, and your 1080p content will be upscaled to 4K. I have no idea why it's presented the way it is.

A few notes on the TVs you linked:

- Both are HDR which is a fantastic starting point.
- The SUHD TV has double refresh rate, which helps in gaming and fast-action sports broadcasts.
- The SUHD TV has quantum dot tech, aka nano-crystals, meaning it supports 10-bit wide color gamut
- The SUHD TV has an extra HDMI + a One Connect box. Most assuredly a mini, but still nice.
- While not listed in the Best Buy specs, the brightness of the SUHD panel will well exceed the non-SUHD as well. Likely at or around 1000nits
- SUHD will also have improved depth enhancers, and one of the best 4K upscalers available (by virtue of belonging to a more premium line of TVs)

I know it can be a slippery slope when you start saying, oh but for $200 more, you can get x... But I'm gonna do it anyway. Also take a peak at the KS8500, which is $200 more than the KS8000. You never know what models will get sales, might luck out. The KS8500 is the new variant of the TV just below mine, which my friend has. Aside from the lack of full-array dimming it's a virtually perfect TV set imo. And for someone on a budget, or the non-videophile, full-array dimming isn't a big deal. Edge-lit like this KS8000 will make you plenty happy.

If you do manage to get something SUHD, I'm confident you will be very happy you did. They are amazing televisions

And yes, I'd say boxing week bundles are a near certainty.

3 hours ago, Sypher_04 said:

OLED vs LED is all about contrast. Like Raiden said, truer blacks, whiter whites etc. The colors on an OLED are the best you'll find, but a quantum dot display manages close to the same production from LED tech which is much much cheaper to produce.

Don't get hung up on their 1080p downscaled or 4k upscaled info. It's written confusing, but it's nothing to be concerned about. Your 4K content will display in native 4K, and your 1080p content will be upscaled to 4K. I have no idea why it's presented the way it is.

A few notes on the TVs you linked:

- Both are HDR which is a fantastic starting point.
- The SUHD TV has double refresh rate, which helps in gaming and fast-action sports broadcasts.
- The SUHD TV has quantum dot tech, aka nano-crystals, meaning it supports 10-bit wide color gamut
- The SUHD TV has an extra HDMI + a One Connect box. Most assuredly a mini, but still nice.
- While not listed in the Best Buy specs, the brightness of the SUHD panel will well exceed the non-SUHD as well. Likely at or around 1000nits
- SUHD will also have improved depth enhancers, and one of the best 4K upscalers available (by virtue of belonging to a more premium line of TVs)

I know it can be a slippery slope when you start saying, oh but for $200 more, you can get x... But I'm gonna do it anyway. Also take a peak at the KS8500, which is $200 more than the KS8000. You never know what models will get sales, might luck out. The KS8500 is the new variant of the TV just below mine, which my friend has. Aside from the lack of full-array dimming it's a virtually perfect TV set imo. And for someone on a budget, or the non-videophile, full-array dimming isn't a big deal. Edge-lit like this KS8000 will make you plenty happy.

If you do manage to get something SUHD, I'm confident you will be very happy you did. They are amazing televisions

And yes, I'd say boxing week bundles are a near certainty.

Haha yea even the SHUD one is over the budget. Appreciate all the info though. Should it be on sale on boxing day it would be close, but even then likely a tad high. 

Anyway, through what appears to be nothing more than dumb luck, I just ordered this one for $899: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-55-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tizen-smart-tv-un55ku6270fxzc-un55ku6270fxzc/10487319.aspx?path=39d830babe1082eb7d6cdf0f25073a93en02

Best Buy was having an after hours sale, from 1AM to 6AM. That was the only TV on sale, and it was $400 off. I knew I probably won't do much better than that on boxing day, and this also saves me from the overall tomfuckery of boxing day.  

Well from my experience LG make fantastic tvs. 

If you are worrying about spending above your price range, remember that this is the last tv you'll be buying for quite some time so don't under spend and regret it in a years time. That's an even bigger waste of money imo. 

One thing you need to get is HDR for sure. It's relatively new and is the feature that is pretty necessary if you're going 4k. Also if it's primarily for gaming you need to check refresh rates, input lag and input lag with HDR on. They can vary widely.  Some tvs go to 30 Hz at 4k, some stay at 60 unless you turn on HDR then they go to 30 Hz. Some have massive input lag spikes when adding either or feature. 

We got our 4k tvs, now we need great sound. I want something that plugs into 110v, connects wirelessly through wifi and bluetooth to my phones, pc, tablet to play mp3s and provides sound for my tv.

I'm not knowledgeable about this but have been doing some research. Sonos keeps popping up.

Help anyone?

Ended up returning the 55" Samsung 6270. It had a beautiful picture for watching movies and TV shows. But the refresh rate made it useless for watching hockey and not ideal for gaming. Then I went with this: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/panasonic-panasonic-studio-master-pro-58-4k-ultra-hd-120hz-led-firefox-os-smart-tv-tc58dx800-black-tc58dx800/10416908.aspx?path=d0ea49aab7ef8897f837c01f8c8e63bben02 I was wary of going with Panasonic after the horrid experience with the plasma TV I have now, but we've also got a 32" LCD panasonic thats going strong after almost 15 years. Anyway it looked great in the store, got it home and TV/Movies didn't look as nice as on the Samsung. Next day I turned it on and it has a blue line down the screen not unlike the plasma. Returned that, and yesterday picked up a 55" Samsung 8000 and I love it.  @Sypher_04 you're right, that SUHD wide color gamut bullshit is fucking baller. And the 120hz refresh rate (Yes, its 120. Samsung ya'll can take your 240 motion rate and shove it up your ass. This one is 120hz and the other one is 60hz. Lying bastards) is great for hockey and gaming. 

Sorry to hear about your luck with the sets but you've landed in an awesome position now, so not all bad. You've got all the key features you should want really in a new tv. Wide color gamut, 4k resolution and HDR. You'll be very happy with this TV for a very long time, I'd wager.

And yeah, refresh rates are very important.

What did the 8000 end up costing you??

3 hours ago, Sypher_04 said:

Sorry to hear about your luck with the sets but you've landed in an awesome position now, so not all bad. You've got all the key features you should want really in a new tv. Wide color gamut, 4k resolution and HDR. You'll be very happy with this TV for a very long time, I'd wager.

And yeah, refresh rates are very important.

What did the 8000 end up costing you??

Yea I'm really happy with it. The picture looks great with anything. TV, movies, hockey, video games. Its legit. I really do notice a difference from the lower end Samsung of a few days ago. Plus its nice being in on 4K somewhat early. I've been wanting one for a while, and figured now was a good time with it just starting to hit gaming  Thanks again for the advice.

The 6270 had a good picture but I couldn't justify the poor refresh rate. That Panasonic was like the push-up bra of TVs, it looked great until I took 'er home where it was nothing but disappointment. 

I paid $1800 (plus tax), that was the boxing day price after $800 off. So I really can't complain considering its an almost 3 grand TV. I really wanted the 49" because that would've fit a lot better, but it was actually $200 more than the 55" and I couldn't find one anywhere. 

Edited by JKG33

I'm happy with my Vizio and the sound is ok but, sound anyone?

I'm leaning away from Sonos because it is a closed system and very expensive, reminding me of apple.

I'm already Chromecasting so I'm thinking Chromecast Audio and then I can mix and match speakers. Not sure how I tie it all in yet, but these Chromecasting devices keep getting slicker so it should work.

I picked up the Westinghouse 55" UHD on boxing day.   60 HZ refresh rate.    To me anything else is overkill and I only paid $389 for it.  Quite impressed so far.  No issues with playing video games, watching sports.  love the ability to netflix right from my TV. Had to ARC back to the received to get sound from the apps.  That was the only unexpected speed bump.

Edited by Armster

38 minutes ago, Armster said:

I picked up the Westinghouse 55" UHD on boxing day.   60 HZ refresh rate.    To me anything else is overkill and I only paid $389 for it.  Quite impressed so far.  No issues with playing video games, watching sports.  love the ability to netflix right from my TV. Had to ARC back to the received to get sound from the apps.  That was the only unexpected speed bump.

Mine says 120, but there is some hanky panky with stated refresh. When I have to VPN to get blackout games from the Surface, I have to use a Minidisplay port to HDMI cable, and the sound doesn't come through so it is supplied by the Surface. Not the best, but once I install my sound system, that will be ok.

My latest idea is powered Yorkville Sound studio monitors with a Chromecast Audio. About $350 per unit. Not sure if it will work but the music man will know

I bought a Vizio 5.1 surround system. Works great on the tv. Then I uploaded all my music to Google Play Music and plugged a Chromecast Audio into the soundbar. Also loaded it into Groove music and can play it throigh my xbox. $250 and I have all the sound I need in the basement. Put another CA in the upstairs ster. Heavenly.

I'd be surprised if it's any one specific time exactly. Likely more of a gradual decline. If you're in no hurry, mid year is likely a good bet, as most 2017 models should be out by then, which should produce some clearance sales on the 2016 stuff. I'd say keep checking back every week or two though, great sales happen seemingly all the time

49 minutes ago, Raiden said:

I picked up a 55 inch Samsung 3D TV for 600 bucks just after Christmas. I thought that was pretty good. 

I'm not ready to drop 2K+ on a 4K 55inch yet 

Especially when in like 2-3 years time they'll be half the price.  You pay a huge premium on purchasing technology in it's release infancy.  But we live in the world of now so yeah..