Sign in to follow this  
Armster

TV Thoughts

Only a problem imo if you don't keep it long enough to get value from the more expensive set. The difference between the entry ranges and the near top tiers is huge.

That tv you're getting cheaper is only because newer stuff is making it behind. I'm a firm believer in buying current, high end stuff.

This said, I understand and appreciate everyone is gonna place value here differently 

No.  that's not true at all.  Not even close.  I'm not criticisizing your decision to pay top dollar for the latest tech.  We all have our things we like, new technology drops period and it's not always because there is something better out there to replace it's usually because the market has beared all the weight it can at that price.  When the new technology does beginto take over, that's when you see the older technology like 1080P LED TVs drop to a 1/3rd or better of their initial release price.  That's how consumerism works.  

10 minutes ago, Armster said:

No.  that's not true at all.  Not even close.  I'm not criticisizing your decision to pay top dollar for the latest tech.  We all have our things we like, new technology drops period and it's not always because there is something better out there to replace it's usually because the market has beared all the weight it can at that price.  When the new technology does beginto take over, that's when you see the older technology like 1080P LED TVs drop to a 1/3rd or better of their initial release price.  That's how consumerism works.  

There's obviously an element of that; there is reduction of production cost that happens independent of tech advancement that plays a big part. But quite often, perhaps with TVs nore than many other forms of tech, it's innovation in the top tier that drives the feature sets of the lower price sets to improve. Just an observation I've noted.

Im also not criticising anyone who chooses to buy more entry level, for the record. In case it came across that way 

Finished up the sound. The sound of the leafs beating the sens was amazing. Tonight I created a home group. Started playing Jason Colett from Play Music on the computer on the Vizio system downstairs and simultaneously on the stereo upstairs. When it ended I switched to Janiva Magness from the tablet upstairs and it played on both. The whole house is full of great sound. I can play them with both together, a sound delay on one or playing separately. Fuck I love tech

What brand would people say is the best in terms of LED TVs? Just in terms of how it shows and how long it'll last without giving any kind of problems? Might be getting a new one soon and I want to make sure I'm getting a real good one that'll last because my current one despite being a good purchase at the time, seemed to die out sooner than supposed worse TVs I have.

10 hours ago, Raiden said:

Samsung TVs are the best I have ever owned. Bravia, LG, or any other brand have just never been so good for me. I have a 55 inch Samsung going on 5 years old and a 45 inch Samsung going on 7 years old. Beautiful still

The one I have has lasted several years before dying out so I guess that's still a good lifespan. Still trying to see if I can get it fixed because I know it's a fixable issue, it's just a matter of if I can find a good/reliable person who'll make it worth repairing vs paying over $1000 for a new one. For me, it's probably gonna come down to LG vs Samsung. But LG ones seems to have back-light issues after several years which is what I'm dealing with right now and would hate to go through this again. But I'm not sure about any kind of Samsung issues which for all I know, might happen after similar point in time.

Edited by majingir

Anyone know a thing or two about surge protectors? Getting one for my TV, but I'm not sure which one to get. Don't know how many joules I'll need in it for a TV. Can find some with several hundred joules, and others with a few thousand joules. I know obviously the higher the number the better, but I want to know just how much I'd need for a TV, because it'd be pointless buying one that's 3000 joules if the TV just needed 800 or something.

Edited by majingir

What settings would people most recommend for LED TVs in terms of things like contrast,brightness,sharpness and so on? I actually like vivid setting but apparently that kills your TV in the longrun, so I want to find a good blend between good picture quality and safe settings to use on the tv.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:08 PM, majingir said:

What settings would people most recommend for LED TVs in terms of things like contrast,brightness,sharpness and so on? I actually like vivid setting but apparently that kills your TV in the longrun, so I want to find a good blend between good picture quality and safe settings to use on the tv.

I would recommend just custom-tuning your TV.  They have things you can play on your TV that show white gradients, colour gradients, and other stuff for you to tweak your TV for the best settings.  The Xbox One has a built-in picture tuning menu that allows you to best set up your TV picture but they have discs you can use or things you can pull up in different apps (if you have Chromecast) or similar. 

Vivid is usually too bright unless you're in a really bright room.  

As for me I always turn off things like "motion smoothing"... mostly because it gives everything a weird soap-opera look and stops working well when there's major cuts in camera angles.  

5 minutes ago, noobman said:

I would recommend just custom-tuning your TV.  They have things you can play on your TV that show white gradients, colour gradients, and other stuff for you to tweak your TV for the best settings.  The Xbox One has a built-in picture tuning menu that allows you to best set up your TV picture but they have discs you can use or things you can pull up in different apps (if you have Chromecast) or similar. 

Vivid is usually too bright unless you're in a really bright room.  

As for me I always turn off things like "motion smoothing"... mostly because it gives everything a weird soap-opera look and stops working well when there's major cuts in camera angles.  

I want to do custom settings, but just don't want to make it too close to vivid settings. Backlight I can leave around 50, but contrast I want it close to 100. Vivid and standard both seem to be at 100 contrast, so I'm guessing it's ok for that one to be high. I'm just not entirely sure what is the worst setting to have at a high number in terms of it's impact on the TV because I don't want to run into same issues I had last time with it just dying out on me most likely because of the settings I had for months.