Sign in to follow this  
TuckerIntensity

Nexus Phone Help

I might as well title it "piece of shit Nexus phone help." 

It started a few days ago, just randomly shutting off.  No huge deal, it would fire back up.  Talked to customer service with Google, tried a few things, seemed to be getting better and I actually thought it was fixed (troubleshooting apps, thought it could be the case, whatever the hell he came up with.)

But now it's back with a vengeance.  It won't turn on... well, I'm not sure that's correct.  It tries to, even when I'm not touching it, and then says fuck you and turns itself off.  So it's constantly buzzing with shut off, lighting up with startup, all that shit.  It's like it has a mind of it's own, but I can't make it do anything and it will not stay on at all now.

It is charged and I have tried it both plugged in and not plugged in.  Neither seems to help.  Everywhere is closed, and really I'm likely just going to upgrade (but my plan is sick, wicked and nasty so I don't really want to because they'll likely make me change it.) 

But, anyone have any ideas?  I tried booting it in... fuck I can't remember the name.  Held the volume up for 15 seconds, then hit power and volume down.  It shuts itself off before I can make it boot up in whatever mode that is.  It gets to the android screen with all the moving wheels and fucks up.  Then turns itself on and off about four times.

Is there a way to hard boot back to factory default on this bad boy?  I don't care about my apps, I don't have that many that I paid for and I should be able to get them back anyway.

Early signs are I'm going back to iPhone.

If you couldn't even get it to boot into recovery mode, that's a pretty good sign the phone is fucked.

This is what LG has now told me... 150 bucks to fix it, apparently.  It'll probably pooch again after that.

So new question, they aren't letting me hardware upgrade early through Bell and I have a three year contract (from before rules changed), can I get out of that shit without paying?

Answer: No.  Wasn't a crazy fee, at least.  iPhone is ordered and on it's way soon and luckily still getting roughly the same plan I was before, just a slight increase in cost.  (5S because it was crazy cheap compared to the 6 and 6s.)

A week without a phone though... I'm already in withdrawal.

could be a battery issue. i've seen this with water damage. does your phone have a removable back? could try swapping out the battery.

also what model nexus is it?

you can find cheap unlocked phones on swappa.com to hold you over, but sounds like you've already bought an iphone

How old is the phone... I'm pretty sure, based on a CRTC ruling, all 3 year plans retroactively have to allow a penalty free cancellation after 2 years. I could be wrong on penalty free i guess, maybe it was just cheap. Probably the remainder of the phone subsidy

And agree with Steve. In my experience what you're getting sounds like moisture damage

How old is the phone... I'm pretty sure, based on a CRTC ruling, all 3 year plans retroactively have to allow a penalty free cancellation after 2 years. I could be wrong on penalty free i guess, maybe it was just cheap. Probably the remainder of the phone subsidy

And agree with Steve. In my experience what you're getting sounds like moisture damage

I think the telco's found a loophole. Yes they have to let you upgrade for free after two years, but their rate plan is more expensive for the existing phone and in order to use that sim, you have to pay $60 a month for unlimited nationwide. A new activation on an unlocked phone is $40 for the same package with no contract. I don't know how they are getting away with it because that wasn't the intent of the CRTC.

Perhaps if we took them to task, we might get the cancellation charge for that dropped but I'd bet they'd make me change my phone # which isn't worth them hosing me for the extra $20 per month for 4 months. I'll never, ever, buy a subsidized or locked phone again. Hosers

Edited by El Chapo

could be a battery issue. i've seen this with water damage. does your phone have a removable back? could try swapping out the battery.

also what model nexus is it?

you can find cheap unlocked phones on swappa.com to hold you over, but sounds like you've already bought an iphone

Interesting on the battery info.  I'll look at it and see if I can get it off.  It isn't a water damage deal, I haven't left it out or washed it or anything, but that is what it sounds like.

I did get a new phone, but I didn't spend a ton on it.  It was cheaper than repairs on this one.

Where would I get moisture damage that isn't from washing it or dropping it in water or those types of obvious things.  It was epic when LG told me they'd never heard of this sort of issue at all, no way, no how has anyone had this problem.

It's not quite two years, that's likely why I have to pay a penalty (which they ended up making minimal when I said I was switching).  I thought they were all done no matter when you signed up.

Interesting on the battery info. I'll look at it and see if I can get it off. It isn't a water damage deal, I haven't left it out or washed it or anything, but that is what it sounds like.

I did get a new phone, but I didn't spend a ton on it. It was cheaper than repairs on this one.

Where would I get moisture damage that isn't from washing it or dropping it in water or those types of obvious things. It was epic when LG told me they'd never heard of this sort of issue at all, no way, no how has anyone had this problem.

It's not quite two years, that's likely why I have to pay a penalty (which they ended up making minimal when I said I was switching). I thought they were all done no matter when you signed up.

It can happen from sweating while it's still in your pocket, or leaving it in the washroom while you take a shower. It's not that common, but it happens.

If you can see near the connection for the contact on the top of the battery, there is usually a white strip. If it looks red or pink, or has some triangles, usually indicates water damage to the battery.

It can happen from sweating while it's still in your pocket, or leaving it in the washroom while you take a shower. It's not that common, but it happens.

If you can see near the connection for the contact on the top of the battery, there is usually a white strip. If it looks red or pink, or has some triangles, usually indicates water damage to the battery.

Thanks, I'll look for that.

Is there an easy way to get the information off of the phone if it is that?  Is there a memory card I can pull and can I then get contact info and whatnot off of that?  I'd like to get photos and shit too.

Thanks, I'll look for that.

Is there an easy way to get the information off of the phone if it is that?  Is there a memory card I can pull and can I then get contact info and whatnot off of that?  I'd like to get photos and shit too.

not unless you put in your own sd card, but i don't think that model has an external sd slot. you're boned if you can't get it to stay powered on. i use google+, not for the social network aspect, but for the photo backup. you can set it to auto backup all your photos and view them online. it's a fantastic feature.

not unless you put in your own sd card, but i don't think that model has an external sd slot. you're boned if you can't get it to stay powered on. i use google+, not for the social network aspect, but for the photo backup. you can set it to auto backup all your photos and view them online. it's a fantastic feature.

All my contacts appear to be in gmail, never even thought of that until this. Thanks, brother. Kinda lucked out there.

I keep all my contacts in outlook and gmail so they are on my phones and home and work computers. Good friggin thing because they replaced the server @ work and wiped out all my outlook contacts.

I also just loaded firefox for android and I'll fire it up on the computers too and import my bookmarks. Can't be too well covered.

My bookmarks in Chrome are actually in a folder called Imorted from Firefox from when I did that a few years back. Going the other way now because I'm starting to hate Google.