Sign in to follow this  
Sypher_04

True 4K is upon us!

For anyone following the "Look what I bought" thread or "TV advice", it's probably obvious I'm more than a little bit excited that 4K Ultra HD Bluray is finally releasing. The first batch of movies come out today, with more movies throughout the month and the player coming on the 11th.

This represents the first truly 4K content to arrive for those of us with 4KTVs. While Netflix and Amazon offer streaming content, it's not at the same quality level as physical media will be due to internet delivery and compression. Also, Ultra HD bluray is about more than just resolution upgrade.

And that's why I started this thread. I don't know everything about TV, home theatre and media, but I am well informed, and I'm here to answer any questions people may have about new technologies such as

High Dynamic Range

High Frame Rate

Wide Color Gamut

Brands

OLED vs LED vs Plasma

Dolby Atmos

HDMI 2.0a

UHD vs SUHD (in terms of Samsung products)

Full Array dimming vs local dimming

One Connect

HDCP 2.2

etc

Well, you know what I mean :P

yeah haha i do. i can't say i'm too excited for it, but it is cool that the technology is here. i don't plan on buying a 4k tv until they're the standard tv out there, and that's only if i need a new tv at the time

yeah haha i do. i can't say i'm too excited for it, but it is cool that the technology is here. i don't plan on buying a 4k tv until they're the standard tv out there, and that's only if i need a new tv at the time

There's rumours that new tvs have 4K screens to simplify manufacturing runs but have firmware that locks out the extra pixels. I don't know how believable it is because I'd think that it would be extremely expensive.

Also by true 4k do you mean like 4,000 pixels of resolution or the 3,820 or whatever it is that they call 4k now?

You're probably referring to hdcp 2.2

It's a copy right protection that will display 4k at 1080p if you aren't using compliant cables and ports. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned

It's purely to stop people from doing capture on the video source

And no, it's still 3820x2160. I mean that it's still that resolution for the digital intermediate (the cut they use for special effects etc)

You're probably referring to hdcp 2.2

It's a copy right protection that will display 4k at 1080p if you aren't using compliant cables and ports. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned

It's purely to stop people from doing capture on the video source

And no, it's still 3820x2160. I mean that it's still that resolution for the digital intermediate (the version they use for special effects etc)

No I mean people are using USB sticks to access the firmware and allow the TV to show more pixels. I don't know if it's true or not just saying that it's "out there"

Edit: though it makes no sense to me and I assume it's an urban legend that people are spreading. Just saying, haha.

Edited by Nipzie

4K ?! i'm just getting into HD.

get outta here, moneybags! go donate some of that money to the food bank.

Haha I hear you man. I have had a flatscreen for all of 5 years. I was all CRTs before that. I won't bother with 4k until the Terra byte is considered small. I did get a audio video receiver with two 4k inputs though just to future proof it a bit.

And next week, the Chromecast 4k. I've being eyeing up a 2nd Chromecast and will be grabbing one of these to put on my TV. I'll move the old one to the small screen.

Very useful devices.

I have half a mind just to find a cheap Gen 1 one on Kijiji to add to my account so I can cash in on more of their promos when they come around. 

Edited by HBCYG