Sign in to follow this  
Mantis Toboggan

VPN: Should I have one?

I assume you're from Canada?  At this point the worst your ISP can do is cut you off, so I wouldn't worry.  I've never used one except to get by the firewall at school.

This is how it works now:

So they basically can yell at you, and that's it.

Can you explain to our readers what exactly changed on Jan. 1, and why?

Geist: Honestly, not much changed. For the better part of 10 years we’ve had, on an informal basis, a “notice and notice” system, where rights holders detect what they think is infringement. They can send a notification to the Internet provider. They don’t know who the subscriber is, but they do know that the allegation took place at a particular ISP and the ISP would forward that notification on to the subscriber. The ISP doesn’t provide the personal information of the subscriber, there’s no confirmation or court case that this was, in fact, infringement. There have been hundreds of thousands of these notices sent out.

But what did change at the beginning of the year was that this is now formally part of the law, such that if an Internet provider wants to qualify for legal safe harbour — so it’s not liable for actions of its customers — it’s now obligated to forward along that notification.

Edited by dustyboy316

why do you think you need one? if you're trying to get around blackouts or geo-restrictions, or hide p2p traffic, yeah you need one.

otherwise, not really.

if you're looking for a suggestion, i've found no better vpn service than Private Internet Access. easily the best vpn provider i've found. and they don't store any logs, so there's no way to trace the traffic to you.

I use one in order to get around those damn blackouts or any other geographical restrictions.

15 minutes ago, Debaser said:

why do you think you need one? if you're trying to get around blackouts or geo-restrictions, or hide p2p traffic, yeah you need one.

otherwise, not really.

if you're looking for a suggestion, i've found no better vpn service than Private Internet Access. easily the best vpn provider i've found. and they don't store any logs, so there's no way to trace the traffic to you.

Agreed on that one, mate. Hands down the best VPN service imo.

2 hours ago, Armster said:

When someone cuts their price by 95% on their only product I don't blame you for taking advantage but you also better be prepared to find another place shortly.  That or 499.00 is just one of those obvious psychological sales tactics.

I doubt anyone paid $499. One of their sites said $999 but the bargains popup monthly on AndroidPit. I've had it for a fair while and got way more out of it than what I paid, but yes they could go plop or get Netflixed anytime.

33 minutes ago, Johannes de Silentio said:

Means you can access American and British Netflix too, both of which are vastly superior to their pale, lightweight Canuck cousin.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I think Netflix put the stop to VPNs. At least it didn't work when I tried at christmas