Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AoR

Leafs/Marlies trade Loov

Recommended Posts

I think many, including myself, thought Loov represents the type of d-man TO would/should be looking for big, physical and mobile. TO has a very effective hype machine behind it, the press, the bloggers, the Leaf centric sites.

I don't know if TO actually has any deserving NHL potential players on the Marlies now, I hope they do, so far the Hunter magic as a drafter is still to be seen except for Mitch and Austen, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hobarth said:

I think many, including myself, thought Loov represents the type of d-man TO would/should be looking for big, physical and mobile. TO has a very effective hype machine behind it, the press, the bloggers, the Leaf centric sites.

I don't know if TO actually has any deserving NHL potential players on the Marlies now, I hope they do, so far the Hunter magic as a drafter is still to be seen except for Mitch and Austen, of course. 

Trusting our scouting is also a factor as well, that takes time to be developed. Yes, at times there is some over- production made out of our players because of the microscope, but we also have to trust that management feels that pressure and finds the right mix it takes to not only stock the ponds but to fill Marlies and also improve the big team for future competitiveness. 

 

So far they seem to be doing things the right way and have accepted the term compete, and use it long term, so their eyes are wide open.

 

Yes, it takes time for sure

 

Lets not forget Zaitsev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobarth said:

I think many, including myself, thought Loov represents the type of d-man TO would/should be looking for big, physical and mobile. TO has a very effective hype machine behind it, the press, the bloggers, the Leaf centric sites.

I don't know if TO actually has any deserving NHL potential players on the Marlies now, I hope they do, so far the Hunter magic as a drafter is still to be seen except for Mitch and Austen, of course. 

Valiev, for one.  Dermott and Nielsen too. They've got a hard on for Holl as well, but I'd put him on the longer shot

If we're just talking d prospects. 

Not that I didn't want to give Loov a look but he could also just be another Holzer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HBCYG said:

Valiev, for one.  Dermott and Nielsen too. They've got a hard on for Holl as well, but I'd put him on the longer shot

If we're just talking d prospects. 

Not that I didn't want to give Loov a look but he could also just be another Holzer. 

I watched the preseason games and it did seem to me that Holl was the best of TO's prospects if being a prospect is what you could call him.

He's 25 and was a Chic. 2nd round choice at #54 in the 2010 draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like it. I thought Loov would become a good bottom pairing for us soon and I'd much rather have given him some ice time down the stretch over the likes of Hunwick, Corrado and even Polak from time to time.

At the end of the day though, it's nothing to cry over and we have a Marlies who can do what Loov could have done. 

Ah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, §andman said:

I don't like it. I thought Loov would become a good bottom pairing for us soon and I'd much rather have given him some ice time down the stretch over the likes of Hunwick, Corrado and even Polak from time to time.

At the end of the day though, it's nothing to cry over and we have a Marlies who can do what Loov could have done. 

Ah well.

Polak was traded to SJ so Loov didn't need to compete with him for ice time in the last 20 games last year and Hunwick was injured.

I remember TO giving Brennan and Campbell NHL time last year over Valiev and Loov, Valiev and Loov did play a bit but obviously so poorly TO thought it wiser to to suffer with Campbell and Brennan than the prospects. This was confusing but the Loov trade probably sheds light on TO's perception of Loov's and Valiev's potential.

I have misgivings about some of the stuff Babs does but I'm pretty sure he can evaluate talent, Hunwick and Polak must be better now which is is very telling of the prospect's abilities/potential.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hobarth said:

Polak was traded to SJ so Loov didn't need to compete with him for ice time in the last 20 games last year and Hunwick was injured.

I remember TO giving Brennan and Campbell NHL time last year over Valiev and Loov, Valiev and Loov did play a bit but obviously so poorly TO thought it wiser to to suffer with Campbell and Brennan than the prospects. This was confusing but the Loov trade probably sheds light on TO's perception of Loov's and Valiev's potential.

I have misgivings about some of the stuff Babs does but I'm pretty sure he can evaluate talent, Hunwick and Polak must be better now which is is very telling of the prospect's abilities/potential.  

They're fine on the PK, an absolute bonfire 5v5. I can't wait until Hunwick, Polak, and Marincin as well are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

They're fine on the PK, an absolute bonfire 5v5. I can't wait until Hunwick, Polak, and Marincin as well are gone.

I agree they're not good but which teams in the NHL have adequate #5 and #6 d-men?

Replacing them might make sense but if they're utilized properly as their +/- stats imply TO's d-man problems lie elsewhere, Carrick's and Gardiner's +/- are even better.

Or is the d the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if only Babcock stopped playing Ben Smith and brought up that top pairing defenseman  we have in the system to push everyone else down we could be on our way to a secure playoff berth.  No issues.

 

Quote

Or is the d the problem?  

There isn't a "problem".  This is how it goes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitch Mattlander said:

There's more to hockey than scoring. We need Ben Smith to come on for important draws and win 40% of them.

I agree that taking faceoffs is the first facet of possession but what good is that if the faceoff taker isn't capable of possession?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hobarth said:

Polak was traded to SJ so Loov didn't need to compete with him for ice time in the last 20 games last year and Hunwick was injured.

I remember TO giving Brennan and Campbell NHL time last year over Valiev and Loov, Valiev and Loov did play a bit but obviously so poorly TO thought it wiser to to suffer with Campbell and Brennan than the prospects. This was confusing but the Loov trade probably sheds light on TO's perception of Loov's and Valiev's potential.

I have misgivings about some of the stuff Babs does but I'm pretty sure he can evaluate talent, Hunwick and Polak must be better now which is is very telling of the prospect's abilities/potential.  

Or they realized that those 2 players are not ready for the NHL and rather than stunting their development, they weren't called up to the scorched earth fire of last seaso. 

But hey, narratives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, §andman said:

Or they realized that those 2 players are not ready for the NHL and rather than stunting their development, they weren't called up to the scorched earth fire of last seaso. 

But hey, narratives.

I hear that a lot but really what players have been ruined by early(premature) NHL exposure.

Did you know that the best players in the NHL had their best seasons early in their careers, I'm talking forwards here who's major reason to be considered superior was/is their offense. Crosby, Ove, Malkin, Stamkos all were at the peak of their productivity in the first 4 to 6 years of their careers.

I would think that if you want to get the best of a player you get them into the NHL ASAP, so long as their NHL quality, rather than trying to develop them somewhere else. This of course isn't always true but far more likely to be true than the ruining wives tales. I would think that the best coaches, assistant coaches and general support for true NHL talent is in the NHL so leaving them in college, junior, Europe, AHL or what have you is delaying the inevitable or maybe even stunting players.

I see Nylander being developed by Babs and I think he should have been in the NHL at the very least last year, all year, if the AHL had been truly beneficial for him then Babs shouldn't be needing to further develop him. Nylander was given another year to coast because he easily achieved in the AHL, what he needed was to play and learn in NHL arenas where he belonged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...