Sign in to follow this  
Devin Weston

Night Owls X: TCO's Up In Smoke Tour

29 minutes ago, Armster said:

Fuck dude that sucks balls.  Have them call me I'll give you a reference.  Not joking.

Oh I have a new job now, this is all a year ago now. But I had to be honest and have a lucky reference at my new company vouch to get in. 

45 minutes ago, Raiden said:

I'll be your reference bro. 

Prince Ali of Saudi LC Kingdom. You did great work for us on your sabbatical 

Appreciate it fam 👌🏻

5 minutes ago, TieClark said:

Oh I have a new job now, this is all a year ago now. But I had to be honest and have a lucky reference at my new company vouch to get in. 

Good because it's very difficult to get a good job these days.  Never mind also having to deal with an obvious disadvantage such as having no references.

Potential employers now use ghosting tactics.  Like what the fuck, really?

3 minutes ago, Armster said:

Good because it's very difficult to get a good job these days.  Never mind also having to deal with an obvious disadvantage such as having no references.

Potential employers now use ghosting tactics.  Like what the fuck, really?

I got extremely lucky that the background check company had written notes about what they were told over the phone by my old company about me. Without that it would have been next to impossible to prove they did anything and I’m not sure what I would have done. 

It’s fucked how easily you can get screwed over but that was really where my thought process came from for brent. There are laws in place but at the end of the day companies can fire you at any point. The little bit of money they have to provide doesn’t help much if you’re reputation is being ruined in your industry and you can’t find new work quickly 

4 minutes ago, TieClark said:

I got extremely lucky that the background check company had written notes about what they were told over the phone by my old company about me. Without that it would have been next to impossible to prove they did anything and I’m not sure what I would have done. 

It’s fucked how easily you can get screwed over but that was really where my thought process came from for brent. There are laws in place but at the end of the day companies can fire you at any point. The little bit of money they have to provide doesn’t help much if you’re reputation is being ruined in your industry and you can’t find new work quickly 

Company's are no longer able to give bad references. You can give little info....but not BAD info an a fired employee

9 minutes ago, uteck said:

Company's are no longer able to give bad references. You can give little info....but not BAD info an a fired employee

Try proving what was said in most cases though

7 minutes ago, Armster said:

Aren't they still allowed to ask if you'd re-hire the person?

Yes

Just now, TieClark said:

Try proving what was said in most cases though

Yes

I was wrong.

I was advised a few years ago as an employer that I couldn't give a employee who was fired a bad reference. I was advised by legal counsel just to stick with the facts,

confirmation of employment

start date

end date

But I just asked my business partner about this and he said there was a court ruling that allows an employer to give truthful information even if it is bad.

Mea culpa

Bear in mind that employment standards and applicable laws for non-federally regulated employees can and do vary from Province to Province.

It's entirely possible that the applicable laws in Ontario, Manitoba and B.C. are all dissimilar and a SCoC decision on the Ontario ESA wouldn't necessarily apply to the Manitoba version of the same legislation.

I don't know if you all remember when i was working at the Real Canadian Superstore? I was let go from there for a suspected lack of rotation of product.  If it wasn't for the union i would have walked out of there with zilch. Instead, i proved that they had malicious intent on trying to remove my expense as an employee as a method of cost-cutting. The night manager and a co-worker colluded with the store managet to sabotage my work causing  several write-ups against me, which, according to the union, was suspicious. Consequently, my other co-workers, in a written statement, proved that i was being targeted for dismissal.  In the end, i could have gone back to work with most of my write-ups removed  and i would basically be on my last chance.  Instead, they opted to buy-out my contract giving me 8 weeks severance for 4 years work.  That blacklisted me from being hired at any Loblaws store for a period of 5 years.

If you did not know you had a cause of action before today and could not have reasonably discovered that you had a cause of action before today, the two-year limitation period in which you are permitted to bring an action starts today.

s.5 Limitations Act, 2002

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/02l24#BK6

EDIT - Also, it's 'moot' and almost everyone uses it incorrectly. A 'moot' point is an arguable point, not an irrelevant one. At law school, debates are called 'moots'.

Edited by King of Dick Mountain

Why would it only happen in my apartment and not next door, though? The stronger my connection, the more likely it is to happen. That does not make any sense to me.

When it starts fucking up it does always say 'Resolving Host' in the bottom-left, which is a DNS thing, right?

For clarity, I do use a VPN/proxy but it was not active when I took that screenshot, and it rarely is unless I'm doing something nefarious.

Edited by King of Dick Mountain

I have Windows 10 and have that problem rarely but i am using a desktop you are obviously on a laptop those things are notorious for having connection issues from my experience. How often do you reset your router? if it does that do a power down of your router for about 30 seconds and reboot it back up it should clear any issues at least from my experience it does.