Sign in to follow this  
Devin Weston

Night Owls X: TCO's Up In Smoke Tour

3 hours ago, Pai Mei said:

cool cool, i went to my first leafs game last night actually, so i was at scotiabank at the same time as you 😛  a client actually gave me free tickets, so i couldn't pass them up.

i forced the bf to come with me, and he was terribly bored, outside of the timbits intermission show of all the children falling down, and the 3rd period where he thought the leafs players falling down was entertaining.    too bad the leafs played like shit, figures of course.  but i'm pretty happy to have finally went to a game, never had the opportunity before growing up up north.  

Congrats.

That’s the closest we’ve ever been to each other... knowingly. Kind of weird.

It was an okay game. Not the best outcome. Don’t you feel like the difference between players is much more visible in person. 

Kapanen is quicker than he is on TV.

Edited by Kulemin

1 hour ago, Kulemin said:

Congrats.

That’s the closest we’ve ever been to each other... knowingly. Kind of weird.

It was an okay game. Not the best outcome. Don’t you feel like the difference between players is much more visible in person. 

Kapanen is quicker than he is on TV.

i did find it was VERY different from watching on tv, mind you i expected as much since that's what everyone says.  I had a much harder time reading how plays were developing, and often i felt like i was puck watching other than seeing how things were shaping up, and when it got somewhere i was surprised because i didn't see the play.  i also thought how much less space there appeared to be in person compared to on tv.  no one ever seemed to have any space at all, whereas on a screen i can see so many avenues and the ice looks so big.  

in person matthews and mitch looked weaker than i expected, couldn't win battles, lost the puck easily in the corners, etc, tavares stood out way more, not that I didn't already believe that, but it seemed even more of an issue in person.   i'd like to watch the same game again on tv to compare because it's hard without a direct comparison since every game is different.

as for kapanen, iunno.  the pace overall seems faster, but iunno if kapanen in particular seemed faster to me, he always stands out that way so I wouldn't say that personally. 

but ultimately lots is the same, for example, how dumb some of their shot selections are.  many shots right into defenders that bounce harmlessly out, which everyone could see was going to happen prior to it happening. over and over, and over.  

Edited by Pai Mei

I don't think he means here.  The only reports we see anymore are when people have double posted and have no idea what to do with the second post.   Which isn't very often.  Well, ever since Sam Slick.  When he was here we'd get a daily report updating us on the abuse he was taking.

8 minutes ago, §andman said:

Holy, okay, I don't even know where to begin. 

So, a few hours ago I received a message on FB from an old friend, someone who I haven't spoken to since basically elementary school. Even then, we were only somewhat close when we were maybe 7 or 8 years old. I hadn't seen them, spoke to them, nothing ever since. Even in the upper elementary grades, we never really spoke much. I can't even recall speaking to them in high school, either. He had a tough upbringing, basically became ostracized by the peer, you know how mean kids are.

The message? I think I am going to kill myself today and thanking me for not being a bully. I never saw the message at first and I stumble upon it while deleting FB games messages. So, it was 2 hours past when I got the initial message. I message back and got a quick response. At this point, I'm thinking "wtf am I do?" My girlfriend who was with me convinces me to call 911. I did. I responded to him in the mean time, trying to bring up some good memories. 

Anyways, he had moved, I was able to find out to which city (he told me) which meant another police department became involved. They went over to his house and took him to the hospital. The cop called me and said he was drunk and messaging other people as well and they're going to the hospital. It was a quick response, maybe 30-40 minutes from my initial call to when the cop had called me. 

In the meantime, I, never being in a situation like this was googling how to respond properly, what to do. We tried even calling the suicide hotline to get advice. We were ON HOLD. I can't imagine if someone, who was actually suicidal, had called them, what that would do to them. 

Its crazy to me, how, someone I haven't spoken to in almost 15 years, and was only sorta-close when I was 7, had messaged me and remembered a few things we had done as friends. I don't even think I was a good person, I was one of the assholes too in elementary, yet, I guess I wasn't anywhere near what others had done to him. That those memories from that long ago were the positive ones he had remembered and brought up. That no matter how small an impact you have on someone, it hopefully is always a positive one. 

I guess the whole situation just puts things into perspective. I know many of you struggle with your own battles and have found solitude through here. I can't begin to understand the level of pain and difficulty one goes through and I almost felt... useless in the moment, particularly in how to respond. 

End of the day, I guess you just have to be the best you and continue to hopefully treat others well in order to be that 1 bright light in their lives. 

the suicide hotline is pretty useless.

you responded well. you potentially saved his life. even if you felt like you couldn't help in the messages, you made sure to contact someone who could help him.

good on you dude

I work in education and seeing kids bullying one another and the impact that has on them. It's even worse now since they take it all home and it continues at home. Hearing what he told me, about a few memories he had (playing pokemon at my house) that young. Such a small event, one that barely registers in my mind had such an effect on him. Then he asks me why everyone hated him and he didn't consider me a bully. 

And there's people who still tell me "kids need to be bullied, it's a part of growing up, they need to learn lessons." 

Fuckin hell. 

9 hours ago, §andman said:

I work in education and seeing kids bullying one another and the impact that has on them. It's even worse now since they take it all home and it continues at home. Hearing what he told me, about a few memories he had (playing pokemon at my house) that young. Such a small event, one that barely registers in my mind had such an effect on him. Then he asks me why everyone hated him and he didn't consider me a bully. 

And there's people who still tell me "kids need to be bullied, it's a part of growing up, they need to learn lessons." 

Fuckin hell. 

All my boys have a pass to stand up for themselves if they are ever being bullied. If that includes having to get physical in return, then so be it.  They're getting suspended anyways just for being there.   I dealt with bullies when I first started high school.  It took me a long time to realize that it doesn't matter what you do, until you stand up for yourself they'll carry on with their shitty antics. 

i was bullied a bit when i came over to the states when i was a kid for being canadian. there was a group of shit stains that thought they were the tough kids and gave anyone they didn't like a bunch of shit. i took it for a while being the new kid not knowing anyone. one of them sucker punched me one day and we both got suspended for it.

came back after the suspension, same kid still giving me shit. he stopped me in the hall and said something, can't remember what it was, laid into him real good and broke his nose

got suspended again but was so worth it. also didn't get any more shit after that

Just now, Debaser said:

i was bullied a bit when i came over to the states when i was a kid for being canadian. there was a group of shit stains that thought they were the tough kids and gave anyone they didn't like a bunch of shit. i took it for a while being the new kid not knowing anyone. one of them sucker punched me one day and we both got suspended for it.

came back after the suspension, same kid still giving me shit. he stopped me in the hall and said something, can't remember what it was, laid into him real good and broke his nose

got suspended again but was so worth it. also didn't get any more shit after that

My situation was very similar.  Moved from a city to small town in northern ontario.  Was in second year of high school.  In those small northern towns, the kids base their identity on how tough they are and I guess it was exciting to have someone new to pull their bullshit on.  Took enough time for me to just say fuck it, and lay into the "toughest" kid my age.  I also got my ass kicked by him but it definitely changed things after.   The fear of getting beat up when i was a skinny 14 year old was much worse than actually having it happen.  It also got me working out and learning to box.

17 minutes ago, Armster said:

My situation was very similar.  Moved from a city to small town in northern ontario.  Was in second year of high school.  In those small northern towns, the kids base their identity on how tough they are and I guess it was exciting to have someone new to pull their bullshit on.  Took enough time for me to just say fuck it, and lay into the "toughest" kid my age.  I also got my ass kicked by him but it definitely changed things after.   The fear of getting beat up when i was a skinny 14 year old was much worse than actually having it happen.  It also got me working out and learning to box.

You lift? Could’ve fooled me 

14 hours ago, Anger Management said:

3 pages of debate on pain olympics in the bedroom LOL.  Hey where can i send a report of multiple abusers? I figure it would be too long to do one post report at a time LOL WAHHHHHHHHH!

12 hours ago, §andman said:

Holy, okay, I don't even know where to begin. 

So, a few hours ago I received a message on FB from an old friend, someone who I haven't spoken to since basically elementary school. Even then, we were only somewhat close when we were maybe 7 or 8 years old. I hadn't seen them, spoke to them, nothing ever since. Even in the upper elementary grades, we never really spoke much. I can't even recall speaking to them in high school, either. He had a tough upbringing, basically became ostracized by the peer, you know how mean kids are.

The message? I think I am going to kill myself today and thanking me for not being a bully. I never saw the message at first and I stumble upon it while deleting FB games messages. So, it was 2 hours past when I got the initial message. I message back and got a quick response. At this point, I'm thinking "wtf am I do?" My girlfriend who was with me convinces me to call 911. I did. I responded to him in the mean time, trying to bring up some good memories. 

Anyways, he had moved, I was able to find out to which city (he told me) which meant another police department became involved. They went over to his house and took him to the hospital. The cop called me and said he was drunk and messaging other people as well and they're going to the hospital. It was a quick response, maybe 30-40 minutes from my initial call to when the cop had called me. 

In the meantime, I, never being in a situation like this was googling how to respond properly, what to do. We tried even calling the suicide hotline to get advice. We were ON HOLD. I can't imagine if someone, who was actually suicidal, had called them, what that would do to them. 

Its crazy to me, how, someone I haven't spoken to in almost 15 years, and was only sorta-close when I was 7, had messaged me and remembered a few things we had done as friends. I don't even think I was a good person, I was one of the assholes too in elementary, yet, I guess I wasn't anywhere near what others had done to him. That those memories from that long ago were the positive ones he had remembered and brought up. That no matter how small an impact you have on someone, it hopefully is always a positive one. 

I guess the whole situation just puts things into perspective. I know many of you struggle with your own battles and have found solitude through here. I can't begin to understand the level of pain and difficulty one goes through and I almost felt... useless in the moment, particularly in how to respond. 

End of the day, I guess you just have to be the best you and continue to hopefully treat others well in order to be that 1 bright light in their lives. 

kids remember small things, and then those things help shape you as you grow.   if i think back, i can remember some very small specific incidents that meant a lot to me, or that hurt me a lot.   i've been on both sides of the fence so i don't think you should be surprised by his perspective in the things he attaches value to.  i grew up popular, athletic and a good student in elementary school where i contributed fairly heavily to bullying, to a loser and a drop out in junior high and high school where i was bullied and felt like I had no friends and was a reject.  and then after highschool again learning to be social and popular and finding my way out of where he is mentally, but it takes years, plus, who knows what traumas he's experienced in life, who knows what his family life really looked like when the cameras were off, what internal struggles he's dealt with, etc, etc.  I wonder how old he & you are?  hopefully things will become better for him as he grows older still.  

your last sentence is really all we have to go off of, and should try to aspire to.