Sign in to follow this  
Devin Weston

Night Owls X: TCO's Up In Smoke Tour

That is Justin Roiland reading an absolutely real (except the judge's first name is Bryant, not Morty) court transcript of an exchange between a defendant and the bench.

Judge Durham was given a slap on the wrist. At least he recused himself from the trial.

@King of Dick Mountain  

when i I was hired, I was told my start time was 7. A few weeks later, he decided to switch that to 630. I showed up for 630 a few times before realizing that I end up waiting until 715 before I got to start actually working. So, since 630 meant 45 minutes of just sitting with my thumb up my ass, I decided to do 645 and meet in the middle. Again, I still usually end up sitting around until 715 before anything happens for me. I signed a document on attendance saying I will show up at the start time, but it did not state a start time. Is it as simple as what he says goes, or should there actually be something in writing?

Just now, King of Dick Mountain said:

It should be in writing. It forms part of your contract, which should also be in writing.

If he keeps dicking you around, talk to a lawyer about 'constructive dismissal'.

I thought it was hilarious when I had to sign the attendance policy because basically all it said was “I agree to show up on time” without specifying a time. This is the first job I’ve ever had where they did not clearly specify the start time. 

I would email your boss and cc (not bcc) HR, explaining the confusion (politely) and asking for clarification on what your start time is.

If they have any sense they'll know you're papering a file for a potential action and they'll quit it.

Edited by King of Dick Mountain

3 minutes ago, King of Dick Mountain said:

I would email your boss and cc (not bcc) HR, explaining the confusion (politely) and asking for clarification on what your start time is.

If they have any sense they'll know you're papering a file for a potential action and they'll quit it.

I was actually just thinking about this - I don’t know how to properly contact HR. I’m about 90% certain that we outsourced it to a different company. I know for a fact there’s not a single HR rep in the office, because I’ve been thinking about informing them of the depression so if I just stay at home in bed all day, I can’t be disciplined for that. I’ll have to look into that further. Thanks for the advice. 

3 minutes ago, TieClark said:

Yeah that wouldn’t be ideal...

What’s your opinion on the matter? Is it weird that there’s no start time written in any documents? Is it shitty that he’s decided to change the agreed upon start time?

i want to hear as many opinions as possible. 

I also want to make it clear that I know I’m a bit of a bitch about this shit, don’t worry. But I have a serious issue when management doesn’t show respect to the workers. I’m not a floor mat and I refuse to let people walk all over me. 

1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

What’s your opinion on the matter? Is it weird that there’s no start time written in any documents? Is it shitty that he’s decided to change the agreed upon start time?

i want to hear as many opinions as possible. 

I also want to make it clear that I know I’m a bit of a bitch about this shit, don’t worry. But I have a serious issue when management doesn’t show respect to the workers. I’m not a floor mat and I refuse to let people walk all over me. 

Honestly is just sounds like a really disorganized company who are basically winging it.

It wouldn’t bother me that much I don’t think, but I get how that can build up and get seriously frustrating.

16 minutes ago, Armster said:

TieClark's opinion is that starting at 630 and 7 are the same thing.

Fuck that made me laugh 

Also, I do realize that it’s a half hour difference and ultimately not the end of the world. However, I don’t care for it because that wasn’t what we agreed to, and because 630 generally leads to more sitting around, waiting for him to get his shit together before he tells me where I’m going that day. 

16 minutes ago, TieClark said:

Honestly is just sounds like a really disorganized company who are basically winging it.

It wouldn’t bother me that much I don’t think, but I get how that can build up and get seriously frustrating.

Oh man, it’s so poorly managed. Seriously, I hear complaints from customers on a daily basis about the service they deal with 

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

So it's pretty clear to me you're in a very poorly managed organization.  Realize that your career path there will be limited.  If your fine with staying understand that it's going to be a disappointment to wake up and go to work every day. Otherwise, yeah you might have a suit that you want to pursue.   In the meantime, I'd look for other other employment opportunities. I know it can seem overwhelming in your 20's but this is the best time (not the only time of course) to find a place that offers growth potential and treats their employees fairly at the very least and treats them well as an ideal. There are lots of companies out there that do, despite the narrative out there.  You're literally just starting your adult life in your 20s.  Lots of opportunity.  That may be advise you're not looking for but I'm 39 and speak from experience, The best advisors are those that can speak from experience combined with competence.

8 minutes ago, Armster said:

So it's pretty clear to me you're in a very poorly managed organization.  Realize that your career path there will be limited.  If your fine with staying understand that it's going to be a disappointment to wake up and go to work every day. Otherwise, yeah you might have a suit that you want to pursue.   In the meantime, I'd look for other other employment opportunities. I know it can seem overwhelming in your 20's but this is the best time (not the only time of course) to find a place that offers growth potential and treats their employees fairly at the very least and treats them well as an ideal. There are lots of companies out there that do, despite the narrative out there.  You're literally just starting your adult life in your 20s.  Lots of opportunity.  That may be advise you're not looking for but I'm 39 and speak from experience, The best advisors are those that can speak from experience combined with competence.

I work a part time job as well and it’s insane how differently they treat me there. They show me respect, they’re polite, accommodating. It’s a joy going in there. I realized very quickly this was a dead end job once I found out that I make more than people who have been with the company for 2-5 years. 

I have a career that I’m working towards. I wish I was there already, but I sat back and waited for it to come to me for years.  Had to pull my head out of my ass and recognize that I need to be the one working towards it. It’s sad that I had to recognize that, but whatever. 

I also have have a potential full time offer from the part time job. The only reason I didn’t immediately accept is because it’s a pay decrease, and a fairly substantial one. But I’m tired of working jobs I don’t care for with prick bosses. I finally have a job I enjoy, where I feel valued and like I’m learning more that I can apply to life, and future jobs. I’m waiting to hear back some more final details, but I’m 90% sure I’m going to take it. Losing the money will suck, but I’m tired of living in fear of the almighty dollar.