Sign in to follow this  
Trevor5555

2018 Olympics

Looking at schedule of events for tomorrow, Canadas first medal could come in Short track speed skating. Mens 1500m (I think it's going to happen around 6-7am EST). Charles Hamelin won gold last Olympics and is competing again this year. That's only medal event on Saturday I see them having shot at.

For me, that's only notable event happening on Saturday (for people watching from Canada). Womens hockey begins tomorrow, but it's not Canada/USAs division.

Disappointment for Short track speed skating. Hamelin got penalized (wouldn't have mattered since he didn't finish in top 3 anyways) and the other Canadian (Girard) finished 4th. Hamelin had best time in the heats and 2nd best time in the semi finals (and entered this comp as the defending Olympic gold medalist).

Tomorrow, there's the Mens 5000m speed skating event. Canada is huge fave to win gold here. They only have 1 person in it, but he set a world record in this event exactly 2 months ago (beating the Olympic record by about 9 seconds). Event is at 2am.

For Snowboarding, in Mens slopestyle, they have shot at Gold AND Silver. In the qualifiers today, they had the top 2 scores. One of those guys won bronze last Olympics and other finished 5th.

Hockey wise, Canada begins play on the Womens side. Facing "OAR" at 7am.

Update on this, Canada got silver and bronze in snowboarding.

Edited by majingir

Didn't win gold at Mens 5000m, but they did win silver,and the gold medalist did set an Olympic record (won 3 straight golds in this event and a silver before that). I think I heard something like it being Canadas 1st medal in this event since the 30s?

Medal wise on Monday, Canada has shot at team figure skating. 5 events completed, 3 to go, only 5 countries remain, and Canada has a 6pt lead over 2nd, and 9pt lead over 3rd(for comparison, 4 points seperates 2nd and 5th). It's impossible for Canada to finish 5th, so they're guaranteed 4th or better (and guaranteed a medal if at least 1 of their final 3 events they finish in top 3).

Also a good shot at medal in Mens moguls. Had top score in 1st qualifier by the same guy who won silver last Olympics(Canada won gold that year too,but the guy who won gold is retired). Finals  goes from 7am until after 8:10am.

Canada tied for 2nd in total medals, tied for 3rd in gold. Won 2 golds today in Figure Skating and Mens Moguls.

On Tuesday, they are in finals or curling mixed doubles, meaning they obviously get silver or gold. Starts at 6:05am.

Womens Luge, have 2 in the running for medals. 2 runs done, 2 to go. Currently in 3rd and 6th spots. Event starts at 5:30am.

Mens 1500m speed skating, won bronze at last Olympics. Event starts at 6am and goes until almost 8.

Hockey wise, Canada plays Finland in womens hockey, game starts at 2:40am.

Canada vs USA in Womens hockey at 10:10pm tonight, and Mens hockey action begins as well. Canada-Switzerland at 7:10am tomorrow. USA and "OAR" already played games on mens side. BOTH lost. USA to Slovenia (USA blew a 2-0 lead in 3rd) and Russia to Slovakia.

Edited by majingir

Mens side beat Switzerland 5-1. Women beat USA 2-1!

No surprise on womens side, it's Canada and USA as the 2 BYEs into the semi finals. So should yet again be Canada-USA for the gold.

I'm sure most probably aren't watching any of the hockey game, but if you want to, CBC airs an hourly recap of all the games each day. I think the Canada games take up about 10 or so minutes each, and then quick recaps and other segments for all other stuff.

For those who still want to watch Olympic hockey: (yes. it's the game and medal ceremony)

Edited by majingir

Womens hockey, OAR, despite losing all 3 games in preliminary round, they beat Switzerland(who had the top players in basically all categories), so now they'll face/lose to Canada in semi finals. USA plays Finland who they beat 3-1(EN goal) in their game last week. The games happen on Monday(Canadas will be 7:10am).

Mens wise, it's Canada vs South Korea tomorrow at 7:10am.

A regulation loss guarantees Canada has to play in the qualification playoffs to make the quarterfinals. Any other result, and it depends on what happens in other games that'll determine where Canada finishes(it's still possible that a regulation win results in Canada playing in qualification playoffs)

Canada beat South Korea, so they managed to get into quarterfinals. They'll play Finland (unless South Korea actually wins lol) in that matchup on Wednesday. Winner of that is likely facing Sweden in the semis. Sweden is the only country to win every game in regulation, allowing just 1 goal in preliminaries.