Sign in to follow this  
Holymakinaw

Morgan Rielly is looking like an All-Star......

1/4 of the way through the season, and Rielly has 3 goals and 16 points in 19 games..........the guy is quietly putting together a fantastic season.  He's on pace for 12 goals and 64 points this year.

We always go on & on about our "big three" coming up.  We should be talking about our "big 4".  Morgan Rielly is going to win a Norris one day.

Enjoy!

Rielly's been really good defensively too though.  He's moving the puck well, winning the battles, calm under pressure.  I mean if you look at his stats you might think offensive player but he's been equally good in our zone.  That's the only pairing on this team right now that looks like an NHL pairing.  

I love the Gards but I'll tell you something, he has been as bad as any defender in the league the past three weeks and as bad as I've ever seen him and he's dragging Zaitsev down with him.  He used to win the majority of puck battles and move the puck out of the zone accurately well.  These days, I'm not even sure he's 50/50 at moving the puck out and I can't remember the last time I saw him win a puck battle..  It's usually a giveaway to the other team and he's making some pretty rough decision on the offensive zone blue line.  Not impressed at all.

1 hour ago, Armster said:

I love the Gards but I'll tell you something, he has been as bad as any defender in the league the past three weeks and as bad as I've ever seen him and he's dragging Zaitsev down with him.  He used to win the majority of puck battles and move the puck out of the zone accurately well.  These days, I'm not even sure he's 50/50 at moving the puck out and I can't remember the last time I saw him win a puck battle..  It's usually a giveaway to the other team and he's making some pretty rough decision on the offensive zone blue line.  Not impressed at all.

Unfortunately, I think this is totally accurate. Have been really disappointed with Gardiner this season. The decision making has been truly awful.

2 minutes ago, Jhator said:

Rielly has been solid. Ray saying Gardiner has been amazing though... wot?

2 hours ago, crazyray79 said:

I like our top 3.

Gardiner can look pretty amazing at times as well.  When he's on we have a good top 4.

Nothing inaccurate about what he said. Gardiner was the teams best defenseman for the past two seasons. This year it’s Rielly

3 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Nothing inaccurate about what he said. Gardiner was the teams best defenseman for the past two seasons. This year it’s Rielly

Consistency has always been Jake’s biggest problem. The higher level of skill on the rest of the team makes Jake’s gaffes more obvious.

46 minutes ago, Jhator said:

Consistency has always been Jake’s biggest problem. The higher level of skill on the rest of the team makes Jake’s gaffes more obvious.

Even when this team was dogshit, Gardiner’s mistakes are obvious because they’re not subtle at all.

58 minutes ago, Jhator said:

I mean, sure? Not really relevant to what I said. His gaffes have always been obvious. The stuff he does well was almost always unappreciated and unnoticed 

Ya no question Gardiner hasn't been himself in my mind if we are taking the last two seasons, especially the last one, into consideration.   He started off strong but really has taken a step back.    Just seems clumsy.  Hoping it's just a rough patch because last year's Gards made this team much better.

What I’m getting at is im wondering if we are just being less forgiving of the same shit because our expectations are higher now

edit - never mind, just looked over his numbers. Corsi/fenwick both pretty ugly right now.

Edited by Jhator

2 hours ago, Jhator said:

I'd argue that playing with quicker, more skilled guys has allowed Gardiner to excel in certain parts of his game. 

18 hours ago, Jhator said:

Rielly has been solid. Ray saying Gardiner has been amazing though... wot?

Learn to read lol

I never said he's been amazing, I said he can look amazing....at times.  Sometimes with the puck on his stick he looks great....others not so much.

Rielly has looked really good so far. Everyone knew the potential was there on both ends of the ice. Having someone like Hainsey who's been rock solid in his own end has definitely allowed Rielly to have more freedom on both ends of the ice. I can't wait to see Rielly actually paired with another top pairing defenceman one day, hopefully... Lol