Sign in to follow this  
Holymakinaw

Morgan Rielly is looking like an All-Star......

21 hours ago, Armster said:

Ya no question Gardiner hasn't been himself in my mind if we are taking the last two seasons, especially the last one, into consideration.   He started off strong but really has taken a step back.    Just seems clumsy.  Hoping it's just a rough patch because last year's Gards made this team much better.

ever since the moment Ovi wiped him out in the corner in last years playoffs, he's not been the Dman he could be

1 hour ago, koho said:

ever since the moment Ovi wiped him out in the corner in last years playoffs, he's not been the Dman he could be

I thought it was before that when Burrows hit him high in the forearm with a high malicious real quick slash.

That is when I felt he lost some respect for "a hockey player" and even though it was the rat burrows, at that moment it looked like he totally looked at his numbers and knew in the future he had to give a little more grit and ummmph in his game.

( I also wrote it down here and am a little disappointed that nothing ever became of the matter, especially when burrows is in the east now)

I just feel that ,...that was the time he saw green and went a little more hulk like)

1 hour ago, koho said:

oooops, lol,..thought we were talking morgan.

Ya I agree w/ both of you in a sense, more armster though and hope it is clumsy and not komisarek like when lucic pounded him and he lost all his juice.

back to gards I guess....carry on, but sometimes I feel even though I tried to build him up and stick up for him..right @Doc J   ...and others,...some of his flubs,...if they were playoffs,...that totally costs us...(no relation to kostka,..but maybe)

he IS SUCH A TALENT AT TIMES AND MAYBE WE GET CAUGHT UP MORE WITH HIS SKATING ABILITY and yet see his flubs in his descions for some passes or downright bad luck where he falls at the wrong times, but it is those bad passes that really get you, and that is teachable yet it takes away from creativity. All we know is that yes, he does repeat offend at it and yet at times I think he is the type you either take the good with the bad or trade him for some lower promising talent that is more reliable in whatever forte that they bring.

I tend, and it may be the goggles but I tend to lean the way that he adds, rather than takes away when he is on and we need a true stay at home for him.

(apologies for caps, too lazy to erase)

Edited by Danny

There is no doubt that when Gardiner is on his game, he is a very good skating and puck moving defenseman, and is a huge asset to the team.

It's the other 5% of the time when he seems to lose all understanding of how the game should be played that hurts the team.

As far as Rielly goes, he is exactly what we hoped he would be when he was drafted and is continuing to project upwards.

Hainsey has provided a stabilizing force on the back end, and is one of the better acquisitions this team  has made in awhile.

It feels like, just one more piece on the back end and this team will be ready. Timothy Liljegren will hopefully be that piece.

It's just a matter of time, and asset/contract management now before this team challenges for the grail.

In the meantime, continue to draft and develop well to improve our options. Probably one of the most positive aspects of the Leafs now compared to past teams is the notice they are getting around the league from players, managers, coaches, fans, and media.

On 11/13/2017 at 6:20 PM, Danny said:

oooops, lol,..thought we were talking morgan.

Ya I agree w/ both of you in a sense, more armster though and hope it is clumsy and not komisarek like when lucic pounded him and he lost all his juice.

back to gards I guess....carry on, but sometimes I feel even though I tried to build him up and stick up for him..right @Doc J   ...and others,...some of his flubs,...if they were playoffs,...that totally costs us...(no relation to kostka,..but maybe)

he IS SUCH A TALENT AT TIMES AND MAYBE WE GET CAUGHT UP MORE WITH HIS SKATING ABILITY and yet see his flubs in his descions for some passes or downright bad luck where he falls at the wrong times, but it is those bad passes that really get you, and that is teachable yet it takes away from creativity. All we know is that yes, he does repeat offend at it and yet at times I think he is the type you either take the good with the bad or trade him for some lower promising talent that is more reliable in whatever forte that they bring.

I tend, and it may be the goggles but I tend to lean the way that he adds, rather than takes away when he is on and we need a true stay at home for him.

(apologies for caps, too lazy to erase)

Accentuate the positives. I'm ok with 2017 Gards.

10 hours ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

There is no doubt that when Gardiner is on his game, he is a very good skating and puck moving defenseman, and is a huge asset to the team.

It's the other 5% of the time when he seems to lose all understanding of how the game should be played that hurts the team.

As far as Rielly goes, he is exactly what we hoped he would be when he was drafted and is continuing to project upwards.

Hainsey has provided a stabilizing force on the back end, and is one of the better acquisitions this team  has made in awhile.

It feels like, just one more piece on the back end and this team will be ready. Timothy Liljegren will hopefully be that piece.

It's just a matter of time, and asset/contract management now before this team challenges for the grail.

In the meantime, continue to draft and develop well to improve our options. Probably one of the most positive aspects of the Leafs now compared to past teams is the notice they are getting around the league from players, managers, coaches, fans, and media.

He's been in the 5% the last few weeks or so.  So, if we use linear probability based on your percentage, ths bastard is ready to get back at 'er.

12 hours ago, Armster said:

He's been in the 5% the last few weeks or so.  So, if we use linear probability based on your percentage, ths bastard is ready to get back at 'er.

Well... I did just pull those numbers outta my ass.. But I'm ok with him getting back at er.

Last year Gardiner was piling up the points and by most metrics was TO's best d-man but he played with Carrick thru most of the year and they played against the 2nd tier of talent, mostly, that the opposition had to ice.

This year Gardiner and Zaitsev face the opposition's best,  Rielly with Hainsey is surprisingly producing like TO's best d-man. 

Who is the best d-man of TO's top 3 is more a matter of circumstances rather than any kind of outright positive conclusion from stats. TO continues to be one of the poorest d teams in the NHL so it would be highly doubtful that Rielly or Gardiner would be seriously considered for any best d-man consideration whether that's their fault or not.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/11/14/compete-defining-illustrating-nebulous-hockey-concept/- shows a d situation where pretty well every Leaf on the ice reacted poorly except Andersen, thankfully.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:04 PM, Jhator said:

What I’m getting at is im wondering if we are just being less forgiving of the same shit because our expectations are higher now

edit - never mind, just looked over his numbers. Corsi/fenwick both pretty ugly right now.

yeah, you could also just watch the games. 

1 hour ago, hobarth said:

,  Rielly  is surprisingly producing like TO's best d-man. 

Surprising to you maybe....thee who judges based on +/-.   I'd wager nobody else that's a Leafs fan is surprised enough to share their surprise.  Fuck, you were ready to trade him out last year based on his +/- stat lmao.

24 minutes ago, Armster said:

Surprising to you maybe....thee who judges based on +/-.   I'd wager nobody else that's a Leafs fan is surprised enough to share their surprise.  Fuck, you were ready to trade him out last year based on his +/- stat lmao.

Let's see if I got you right, you figure I was ready to trade Rielly, in your opinion?:(

12 minutes ago, hobarth said:

Let's see if I got you right, you figure I was ready to trade Rielly, in your opinion?:(

Well there's a chance I was mistaken but at the very least I do remember you railing on him for his +/- last season.  

3 hours ago, Armster said:

Well there's a chance I was mistaken but at the very least I do remember you railing on him for his +/- last season.  

I think we are seeing that Gardiner and Zaitsev are struggling against the opposition's best as did Rielly and Zaitsev together last year. 

I don't recommend that TO use either for trade bait unless the return is a dead solid upgrade as we can see that both, at least offensively, are able to thrive as 2nd pairing d-men against lesser competition on TO.

Gardiner looked very attractive as trade bait last year because of his superficial stats and this year it will probably be Rielly who'll look more attractive.

Rielly's +/- showed that he was over his head as a top pairing d-man and that conclusion could be reached from his results in every currently measurable stat.

Of course I explained all this but you prefer to morph my explanation(s) to suit you needs, as you will forever.

13 hours ago, hobarth said:

I think we are seeing that Gardiner and Zaitsev are struggling against the opposition's best as did Rielly and Zaitsev together last year. 

I don't recommend that TO use either for trade bait unless the return is a dead solid upgrade as we can see that both, at least offensively, are able to thrive as 2nd pairing d-men against lesser competition on TO.

Gardiner looked very attractive as trade bait last year because of his superficial stats and this year it will probably be Rielly who'll look more attractive.

Rielly's +/- showed that he was over his head as a top pairing d-man and that conclusion could be reached from his results in every currently measurable stat.

Of course I explained all this but you prefer to morph my explanation(s) to suit you needs, as you will forever.

Wha???  Young D pairings have some troubles in their own end at times, and make some mistakes when playing against the league's best?  NO!!

Still though..........Rielly is playing well right now.  

:) 

On 11/16/2017 at 5:30 AM, Holymakinaw said:

Wha???  Young D pairings have some troubles in their own end at times, and make some mistakes when playing against the league's best?  NO!!

Still though..........Rielly is playing well right now.  

:) 

He has finally realized that it takes longer to slap the puck instead of wristing it and because of this the points are coming. Is he playing well, sure, he's playing well against lesser comp than he faced thru most of last year so thankfully he is.

When does Rielly's age stop being a scapegoat, a crutch?