There are much, much cheaper and easier ways to allow giant corporations to spy on you.

There's also much, much cheaper and easier ways to listen to music that's had all of the life compressed out of it, though if you listen to pop music you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Meh, there's not much easier than saying Hey Google Play Van Morrison Radio on Audio All and have 4 sets of Cast enabled speakers and two Homes fire up, and I can tell it to skip a song I don't like, turn the volume up or down, or to STFU. That's all without a Play Music subscription.

Plus I can ask what the weather is, road conditions, how long to get to work under current road conditions, converse with it in Spanish, have it tell me dad jokes, turn on and off my smart lights, control my thermostat, and turn on and off my Nest Cams. There's lots more I haven't delved into yet.

As for privacy, well if you're on LC and social media you aren't too concerned.

Edited by Mitch Mattlander

I have 2x google home. I don't use them for speakers, unless I want to podcast. I do find them useful for saying "hey google, wake up" and it sets the lights to 25%brightness as not to dazzle me. "hey google, night time" and it sets heating to 14 degrees and turns all lights off. Good for setting timers etc.

I've heard google home is better than alexa but they seem pretty similar to me. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I have 2x google home. I don't use them for speakers, unless I want to podcast. I do find them useful for saying "hey google, wake up" and it sets the lights to 25%brightness as not to dazzle me. "hey google, night time" and it sets heating to 14 degrees and turns all lights off. Good for setting timers etc.

I've heard google home is better than alexa but they seem pretty similar to me. 

If you're into the Amazon world, get Alexa. I hear Apple has some shit too, but I really don't care to find out any more about Apple.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:36 PM, Mitch Mattlander said:

If you're into the Amazon world, get Alexa. I hear Apple has some shit too, but I really don't care to find out any more about Apple.

What does Alexa do that the google stuff doesn't? I was toying between the two when i went for google home. 

If you are tied into Amazon, eg Prime, Fire TV, etc, then Alexa is your huckleberry, maybe, but I'm not, so I prefer Google. It's like having an Apple computer, iPad, iPhone and then getting Apple TV, Apple Watch and their Siri based home pod. I have a lot of Google and Android and some PC but don't want to get into other platforms. It's complex enough sorting all these out. 

The Alexa is supposedly a better quality speaker but the Homes are sufficient for light listening. The best hardware doesn't always win, just ask Sony.