Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Trading JVR

I believe strongly that we should trade him prior to the deadline.  Hometown discount or not he's still getting 6+M over a long period of time.  He's a very attractive asset for contending teams that should return some good value.  

In a more unlikely scenario, I'd also explore trading Bozak with Nylander as his replacement.  I know call me crazy what with Nylander/Matthews combo but I really want him at centre now.  

By trading one or both of the above players we can also break up that line which could then see Marner end up on Matthews' wing.  That could be nice.

2 hours ago, Armster said:

I believe strongly that we should trade him prior to the deadline.  Hometown discount or not he's still getting 6+M over a long period of time.  He's a very attractive asset for contending teams that should return some good value.  

In a more unlikely scenario, I'd also explore trading Bozak with Nylander as his replacement.  I know call me crazy what with Nylander/Matthews combo but I really want him at centre now.  

By trading one or both of the above players we can also break up that line which could then see Marner end up on Matthews' wing.  That could be nice.

I agree with all of this.  

Realistically......who would take on JVR and who might take Bozak?  It'd be contending teams looking to get over the top.  But with them being free agents after this season, what would we get in return?  Some picks, I guess.  A 1st and 3rd for JVR, and maybe a prospect.  A 2nd for Bozak.

I'd take most of those picks and turn around and try to nab a SOLID defender.   Maybe even two.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner

Marleau - Nylander - Komarov

Kapanen - Kadri - Brown

Martin - Gauthier - ?? (Leivo?  Johnsson?)

Rielly - Tanev

Gardiner - Hainsey

Cole - Zaitsev

Borgman

I could live with this, heading into the post season..........

If we are talking about trading JVR then we should be looking at landing a big fish. 

The Flames don’t pick until the 3rd round this year, and are 12th in the west. Next year they have their first but then their 2nd and 3rd are tied up in conditional trades.

Dougie Hamilton? JVR + something? Flames could use more forward depth. Dougie is signed for 3 more years after this one, so the Flames would want to talk extension first. 

JVR might be on an expiring contract and all, but if there's a team out there that's willing to pay how much it'd likely cost to re-sign him, I don't see why they wouldn't go after him, especially if he helps them this year also.

If Leafs could deal an expiring Polak for a cap dump and two 2nds, then an expiring JVRs price no doubt will be high too. If Leafs don't take back a cap dump, at the very least they could even retain some of JVRs and even Bozaks salary if one or both get moved.

The bigger motivation to deal one or both guys is if the pieces returning either are(through a big package deal like JVR + draft pick(s) + prospects), or will lead to a top dman. Fantasy deal would be managing to trade Bozak for some good draft picks, and then package those draft picks along with one of our own picks, along with JVR and 2 or so good prospects for that top dman.

Edited by majingir

I'm all for making a move to improve the team if we can land a defenseman in return for him. Given his cap-friendly contract, I'm intrigued on how much teams will be likely to make a bid for him. Compared to other solutions out there, that's one aspect we can use to our advantage.

I'd grudgingly do it for a d man. We downgrade the offence at first. Hope Leivo or a kid play well enough to be at least a third liner later. But get Rielly  a full time partner and I'm sold.  

Also you could try to package off Gardiner somehow

First you need to determine who the team core is.

Its diffucult to leave the teams leading scorer out of the consideration of core players.

I do agree, if a top line dman is coming back you put him on the table, but not another clueless air head like Hamilton. We already have one of those on D.

I still think you get him signed for an amount that works with the cap and see what you have in the system. You only move JvR if the offer is too good to pass on, and only for an upgrade on D.

2 hours ago, Pavi Largo said:

I can't see a playoff team trading a top-4D, arguably top-pairing, personally.

Mostly you hope Chia-pet has gone full blown bonkers and is willing to trade klefbom for secondary scoring. 

Cuz oilers. 

9 hours ago, Pavi Largo said:

I can't see a playoff team trading a top-4D, arguably top-pairing, personally.

I agree.  But you could get picks from a playoff team, and then turn around and trade those picks to a bottom feeder team, for a top-4 D-Man.

You could find a team that might trade for one that needs top line scoring; a big winger that thrives in front of the goal.  Or you could make a more shrewd move where the assets you gain from any JVR trade are then flipped to a lesser team for one of their defenders ie. Tanev.

1 hour ago, Armster said:

You could find a team that might trade for one that needs top line scoring; a big winger that thrives in front of the goal.  Or you could make a more shrewd move where the assets you gain from any JVR trade are then flipped to a lesser team for one of their defenders ie. Tanev.

It'd obviously be the hardest route, but I think that would probably be the one which leads to best return. Separate deals with JVR and Bozak going elsewhere for picks and maybe even prospects, and then using that return, along with pieces Leafs already have, and getting a bigger player.

Braun on the Sharks is probably one of the better RHD defensive option out there that could actually be moved. They got Vlasic and Burns locked up long term on D, but offensively they don't have anything. Boedker is their biggest deal up front, and this season they do have one of better defenses, but struggle to score. I wonder if a guy like JVR, especially if they can lock him up long term, would be real valuable for them.

1 hour ago, majingir said:

It'd obviously be the hardest route, but I think that would probably be the one which leads to best return. Separate deals with JVR and Bozak going elsewhere for picks and maybe even prospects, and then using that return, along with pieces Leafs already have, and getting a bigger player.

Braun on the Sharks is probably one of the better RHD defensive option out there that could actually be moved. They got Vlasic and Burns locked up long term on D, but offensively they don't have anything. Boedker is their biggest deal up front, and this season they do have one of better defenses, but struggle to score. I wonder if a guy like JVR, especially if they can lock him up long term, would be real valuable for them.

It's a bit of a pipe dream as tactical trades of that manner simply just don't happen that often  But as stated in here already, it's very difficult to think of a contending team that would also part with any of their key defenders so it's probably the only way it would work.  

1 minute ago, Morrison7 said:

To clarify - not for JVR. Anyone else aside from the obvious exceptions, I'm game for.

Thanks for clarifying probably my fault too.  Anyways, yeah Sekera would be a good add for a cheaper price than JVR.   I know Chia is a nutmare but I just don't seem him doing anything that crazy.  He loves defense. Look at the shit he gave up for Reinhart who was already well on his way to becoming a non-NHLer already at the time and then the overpayment for Larsson.  

16 hours ago, HBCYG said:

I'd grudgingly do it for a d man. We downgrade the offence at first. Hope Leivo or a kid play well enough to be at least a third liner later. But get Rielly  a full time partner and I'm sold.  

Also you could try to package off Gardiner somehow

Basically my thoughts. I really like JVR but if you can use him to get what we need, get that shit done. Short of him taking a significant discount, I don't see him her long term. 

Komarov? I just don't know what we'd get. I was all aboard the trade him train when he was a "30 goal scorer." Not so much at season's beginning anymore and now, sure if we can get anything of value.