Sign in to follow this  
LRFE

Doug Ford wins Ontario PC leadership

4 hours ago, Raiden said:

I believe ranked balloting is. 

It's just you number from 1 to 3, who you want to win. 1 being the most, and if they lose, your second choice gets the vote. If second choice loses, your vote goes to the third choice.

Which I like, but everyone knows the Cons get the really short stick on that one, because NDP would swing Liberal, and Liberals would swing NDP. Leaving the Cons nothing. 

I believe, anyway 

2 minutes ago, TuckerIntensity said:

Yes. I'm not well versed in the terminology, but figured they are the same. We're doing it in London for the next mayoral election. I'm excited to see how it works.

I think John Tory wants this in Toronto too, but maybe I'm making it up.

Either way, I think it's a happy medium that's easy to install, doesn't really change how parliament works, doesn't raise the issue of party lists (for instance, Andrew Lawton got mashed, he would be in office in PR) and gives people the option of saying "you know I really like these guys, but if they don't win, I'm much more OK with this."

I can see the Conservatives being a large opponent to that though and I think that's what happened. There was no way forward and PR is something that works for nobody but this way the Conservatives can say "hey, we want reform too, is not our fault, it's theirs."

woah. are you guys telling me that you can answer a question without being a douchebag about it? @koho take notes bud. rather than being a cunt all of the time, you can actually answer questions just to inform someone of something they didn't know before. i know it sounds like a difficult concept to grasp, but i think you can do it.

6 hours ago, Raiden said:

I believe ranked balloting is. 

It's just you number from 1 to 3, who you want to win. 1 being the most, and if they lose, your second choice gets the vote. If second choice loses, your vote goes to the third choice.

Which I like, but everyone knows the Cons get the really short stick on that one, because NDP would swing Liberal, and Liberals would swing NDP. Leaving the Cons nothing. 

I believe, anyway 

That's the kind of voting system we should be looking to implement imo. It would to some extent help reduce the need of strategic voting where we often see people voting for the more popular opposition just for the sake of kicking the current administration out.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, Mantis Toboggan said:

No, it was to me. I jokingly called TI captain nitpick. Koho, being the arrogant, smug twat that he is, couldn’t see it for what it was. 

i'm so sorry you're so firmly stuck in  the past...move forward it'll do ya good, you're an adult now

7 hours ago, TuckerIntensity said:

And he's going to invoke the notwithstanding clause.   

okay i might need someone to explain this to me like i'm 5. Ford decided to cut Torontos city council size. that was clearly challenged by someone because i see a judge blocked that. but then he invoked this clause which allows him to overrule this judge and push his stuff through anyways? am i understanding this correctly?

6 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

okay i might need someone to explain this to me like i'm 5. Ford decided to cut Torontos city council size. that was clearly challenged by someone because i see a judge blocked that. but then he invoked this clause which allows him to overrule this judge and push his stuff through anyways? am i understanding this correctly?

That's pretty much it, yes.

It was added to The Charter to get everyone to sign, but it's only really been used a couple times. Quebec added it to every law for a few years out of protest, even if it didn't need to, and Saskatchewan used it only to find out it didn't need to (though they and the Yukon have used it once each, successfully). The most famous, the one that makes everyone think it's only used once, was Quebec to install there French language charter.

It gives the provinces the ability to override judicial review in some sections. It can't be used to take away democratic rights, but it can be used against freedom of expression, which I believe is where he's headed. It will be temporary, maximum of five years, but renewable.

Edit: The only thing he needs is a majority vote in Ontario legislature, which, well, will be easy for him.

whoever thought that the clause could be used to undermine the judiciary, no right thinking responsible person would ever do that

for a city of 6m+ how many councilors do you think are fair? cutting back to 22 would mean that each councilor would have an avg of 272k constituents some mla's don't have that many people in their ridings. I'd say if Ford wants to reduce government cost's he should start with his own compensation package as premier and then work his way down. This whole thing with Toronto city council is a vendetta, he hates John Tory with a passion and several of the sitting councillors who opposed both he and that idiot brother of his

I mean, yeah. 

I was making a joke about not getting caught being the basis of it not being stalking. 

On the flip side moving to a province she lives in is not stalking. Especially when you're running from Ontario. It's understandable. 

I'm not a lawyer though. 

On 9/14/2018 at 7:04 PM, Соленья said:

For obvious reasons I'm aware it isn't criminal stalking, I just wonder what others think. 

I mean, its a city of millions of people but it makes me feel uneasy for some reason.

who knows maybe you two will fall in love again

On 6/9/2018 at 12:32 AM, Devin Weston said:

That's the kind of voting system we should be looking to implement imo. It would to some extent help reduce the need of strategic voting where we often see people voting for the more popular opposition just for the sake of kicking the current administration out.

the PM counted rank balloting among the issues he ran on, one of the reasons I voted Liberal, yeah yeah MJ as well but I never expected that to happen

when he took power, he decided upon using "sunny ways" and tried to bring bi-partisanship back into how the country is governed

so instead of just using his majority and writing it into a bill and slamming it through the house like his predecessor liked to do, he formed a committee to confer the idea and introduce a bill that would be good for everyone and possibly lead to expediting the process and less grandstanding in the house

but no, the puppet master wasn't done, directing his troops from a dark bunker in Calgary whilst still licking his wounds of rejection, to gum up the process by arguing about how many would serve on the committee and who would be on the committee even after the committee had been formed

that was eventually settled to everyone's satisfaction and they went to work but the Harperrhoids not wanting to give the Liberals any kind of win on this legislation, started singing the referendum song, spewing out all kinds of non-sense and misdirection to their bible punching followers until they were sure the electorate no longer had any idea what was going on other then the PM and his party wanted to undermine all of Canada and rule in perpetuity. It did not matter the news source no one in the comments section could explain precisely what it was they'd be voting for only that they would vote against whatever the muslim hugging baby killing Trudeau wanted

it smelled awful like the Brexit vote and we know what happened there, the alt-right killed the golden goose and the people didn't have clue number 1

Edited by koho