Sign in to follow this  
Соленья

Your 2018/2019 Toronto Maple Leafs

2 hours ago, Sypher_04 said:

Yeah, it's just a small optics issue imo. I edited from dick move, I don't care THAT much lol

I dunno, it seems like a dick move. Don't give one to Marleau, or do the whole one guy wears on the road and one at home. 

Not that I didn't expect Tavares to have one, I'd think the same if they went Matthews and not Tavares.

2 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

also, math major, i need you to tell me the cap in 2011-12 and then 2013-14. you claim it's gone up every single non lockout year, neither of those were lockout years, and yet, it didn't go up. huh.

At the rate you're keeping up, I'm not sure a bar graph is the answer but here goes:

51940941a9924ed4b666177d386a6499.png

A year over year increase, save the lockout season (12-13) which resulted in a 60.0m cap. 

*Sigh*

2 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

and since you're completely hung up on Ehlers as his comparable, lets look at some numbers again. at the time Ehlers signed, he had 154 GP, 40G, 31 ES G, 102 P, 4 GWG, .66 PPG. lets compare that to Nylander now. 185 GP,  48G, 33 ES G, 135 P, 11 GWG, .73 PPG. why would Nylander sign for less money than Ehlers, when he has clearly outproduced him? once again, 6M would be completely selling himself short. i would absolutely love it if he signed for that, but to expect him to sign for less than Ehlers is asinine. and i know, you're going to say how 6M isn't less than Ehlers, but the AAV is irrelevant right now. what matters most for comparables is the cap hit percentage when the deal was signed. i know you aren't willing to accept that yet, so just go poke around on capfriendly until you understand how it works.

If you want to look at the two "at the time Ehlers signed" (Oct 2017) kindly do so:

Ehlers:  154gp, 40g (31 ES), 102pts (79 ES).

Nylander: 102gp, 28g (18 ES), 74pts (45 ES).

The difference only becomes starker when you look at it this way.  Instead, you then proceed to compare nylander's first 3 seasons vs Ehlers' first 2.  Which really tells you all you need to know about your footing here, and the potential dangers of accusing others of cherrypicking when your basket so clearly overfloweth.  

if you compare 15-16 thru 17-18, advantage Ehlers.  (NE - 236gp, 69g, 162pts, 53 ESG, 126 ESP.    WN - 185gp, 48g, 135pts, 33 ESG, 94 ESP)

if you compare just 15-16 thru 16-17,  Ehlers again.  (please see above for reference)

if you compare just 16-17 thru 17-18, Ehlers again.  (NE - 164gp, 54g, 124pts, 42 ESG, 99 ESP.   WN - 163gp, 42g, 122pts, 28 ESG, 98 ESP)

As you can see the best comp for nylander is both players last two full seasons in the league, which also seems the fairest, IMO.  Ehlers has a sizeable advantage in goals (overall and ES), and a very slim lead in pts (overall and ES).  

None of the above is likely to dent the leaf bias you're showing in regards to Nylander.  

It's just as obvious that counting Ehlers' contract that starts this year, against last year's cap number is the mathematically destitute hill on which you'll gladly die. 

May you finally be at rest.  

Edited by Doc J

19 minutes ago, Doc J said:

At the rate you're keeping up, I'm not sure a bar graph is the answer but here goes:

51940941a9924ed4b666177d386a6499.png

A year over year increase, save the lockout season (12-13) which resulted in a 60.0m cap.

*Sigh*

If you want to look at the two "at the time Ehlers signed" (Oct 2017) kindly do so:

Ehlers:  154gp, 40g (31 ES), 102pts (79 ES).

Nylander: 102gp, 28g (18 ES), 74pts (45 ES).

The difference only becomes starker when you look at it this way.  Instead, you then proceed to compare nylander's first 3 seasons vs Ehlers' first 2.  Which really tells you all you need to know about your footing here, and the potential dangers of accusing others of cherrypicking when your basket so clearly overfloweth.  

if you compare 15-16 thru 17-18, advantage Ehlers.  (NE - 236gp, 69g, 162pts, 53 ESG, 126 ESP.    WN - 185gp, 48g, 135pts, 33 ESG, 94 ESP)

if you compare just 15-16 thru 16-17,  Ehlers again.  (please see above for reference)

if you compare just 16-17 thru 17-18, Ehlers again.  (NE - 164gp, 54g, 124pts, 42 ESG, 99 ESP.   WN - 163gp, 42g, 122pts, 28 ESG, 98 ESP)

As you can see the best comp for nylander is both players last two full seasons in the league, which also seems the fairest, IMO.  Ehlers has a sizeable advantage in goals (overall and ES), and a very slim lead in pts (overall and ES).  

None of the above is likely to dent the leaf bias you're showing in regards to Nylander.  

It's just as obvious that counting Ehlers' contract that starts this year, against last year's cap number is the mathematically destitute hill on which you'll gladly die. 

May you finally be at rest.  

uhh .. Math Major, 64.3 and 64.3 is the same, not an increase. given that you can't even recognize that, even when i pointed out the exact years to look at, that says more than enough about the conversation we're having here. 

silly me, i forgot that 22 games is considered a full season now. 22 games isn't even enough to lose rookie eligibility, but it is now worthy of being designated a full season. no, what i did was compare all the seasons played before a contract was signed. again, very simple stuff, and i'm sure you recognized that, but given that doesn't help your argument, you'll pretend like you didn't. .72 PPG vs .66 PPG and in your world, .66 PPG is more valuable.

what bias? Nylander has put up better numbers overall. that is clear when you look at them. Nylanders rookie season was immensely better than Ehlers rookie season, Ehlers sophomore season was slightly better than Nylanders sophomore, but head to head this year, Nylander (in his sophomore season) still outproduced Ehlers (now in his 3rd season)

don't blame your inability to understand cap hit percentage on me. take it up with the guys at cap friendly, and the estate of CapGeek. you know, just the reputable sources on all things cap related.

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

A year over year increase every year.  Then a lockout.  Then a year over year increase every year since it. 

And this seems like it's been going on a year.

If you wanna go with the last year's cap for your percentage this year, or act like you're unaware that the cap goes up every year until the next lockout, even ignore goals and pts, or maybe pretend I said anything about 22 games being a full season, it's not a good look, if we're being honest; but you're free to rock it.  

☮️

1 hour ago, TuckerIntensity said:

I dunno, it seems like a dick move. Don't give one to Marleau, or do the whole one guy wears on the road and one at home. 

Not that I didn't expect Tavares to have one, I'd think the same if they went Matthews and not Tavares.

Meh.  

I'd say anything that lets the young guns fly even a little more under the radar is probably a good thing.  

And really, I don't think it matters much overall, anyway.  

Something else about the cap, after the next CBA as well as upcoming US TV deal, no doubt there'll be some significant changes to the cap. Who knows if we'll even have a similar type of cap system we have now. Or if the number will even be in the 80M range after the new TV deal.

20 minutes ago, Doc J said:

A year over year increase every year.  Then a lockout.  Then a year over year increase every year since it. 

And this seems like it's been going on a year.

If you wanna go with the last year's cap for your percentage this year, or act like you're unaware that the cap goes up every year until the next lockout, even ignore goals and pts, or maybe pretend I said anything about 22 games being a full season, it's not a good look, if we're being honest; but you're free to rock it.  

☮️

You literally said comparing nylanders “first 3 seasons”. He has not played 3 seasons by any definition of the word. 

But once again, is 64.3 more than 64.3? Is .73 higher than .66? What about 61 and 38? 61 and 60? Simple questions here, come on Math Major. Stop skirting them and answer. 

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

2 minutes ago, majingir said:

Something else about the cap, after the next CBA as well as upcoming US TV deal, no doubt there'll be some significant changes to the cap. Who knows if we'll even have a similar type of cap system we have now. Or if the number will even be in the 80M range after the new TV deal.

True. 

That's if there's no lockout again and all it's effects, of course. 

Which is a giant fucking IF.  

Any chance Sharks think about dealing Braun now, given that Karlsson/Burns are their top 2 RHD. If Sharks want to have Vlasic/Burns/Karlsson next year as well, might be best to not have 2 other dmen next year making over 7M combined. Wonder if they'd actually consider a Gardiner trade.

Or even getting him without giving up Gardiner. I read Sharks fans comments on possibly trading Braun and they seem to be interested in a 3rd line C. Given how many guys Leafs have battling for their 4th line C(some probably would be 3rd line Cs if not for Leafs crazy C depth), perhaps there's a name among those young guys who could be of interest to Sharks. None of those C are cracking the top 3 lines for next few years at least.

Edited by majingir

1 hour ago, majingir said:

Any chance Sharks think about dealing Braun now, given that Karlsson/Burns are their top 2 RHD. If Sharks want to have Vlasic/Burns/Karlsson next year as well, might be best to not have 2 other dmen next year making over 7M combined. Wonder if they'd actually consider a Gardiner trade.

Or even getting him without giving up Gardiner. I read Sharks fans comments on possibly trading Braun and they seem to be interested in a 3rd line C. Given how many guys Leafs have battling for their 4th line C(some probably would be 3rd line Cs if not for Leafs crazy C depth), perhaps there's a name among those young guys who could be of interest to Sharks. None of those C are cracking the top 3 lines for next few years at least.

No.

15 minutes ago, §andman said:

I don't like using the word but when I read HFboards and the comments about Nylander's contract situation and Nylander as a player... well, I come to the conclusion that most of this fanbase is fucking retarded. 

No shit.  You have fans predicting 25-25 for Ennis.😝

1 hour ago, loxcane said:

Tyler Ennis is going to rekindle what used to make him an exciting player, book it. 25 goals. 50 points. Don’t even argue with me.

Not to argue, but I really don't think Ennis will be a Marlie this season. 

I'm not actually convinced we are necessarily headed for another lockout. Reports say the nhl is content with status quo which is also supported by their offer to allow Olympics for a cba extension. And while I believe the players have issues, chief among them escrow, the idea has been floated out there that the PA could essentially freeze the cap (not use the escalator) to allow escrow to catch up. I don't know the ins and outs but this at least seems like a somewhat viable alternative to a work stoppage. I'm choosing to be optimistic.

Truth of the matter is the PA is just as responsible for escrow as even in years where the salary cap hasn't naturally grown from revenue they've activated the 5% escalator. That directly adds 5% to escrow