Sign in to follow this  
King of Dick Mountain

Your 2018/2019 Toronto Maple Leafs

i disagree with the idea that the leafs have to do something big this off-season.  

we still don't know where alot of our players projected ceilings are, most of our core are still children, and the world is not over if we take another year of being a top 5-7 team where we continue to develop and assess.  

If anything I think people should be surprised if the Leafs DON'T make a big move.

Sure, Nylander will get lots of money, and Marner/Matthews will get even more the following year, but with around 30M in cap space next season before any re-signing happens (or a move like getting rid of Martin), and 7M coming off the books from Gardiner/Hainsey the following year, there is more than enough room to make a necessary big move.

Leafs aren't a team that'll be 10+M under the cap. Not that they will/should spend up to the cap just because they have space, but I could see a short term move to use our 18/19 cap space like Thornton signing. Longer term could factor in that Gardiner/Hainsey expiring could almost cover a top line dman with that money.

1 hour ago, Morrison7 said:

... this team needs quite a few upgrades.

Do they need "quite a few"......really?  I wouldn't say so.

We need to upgrade the D, for sure.  A right=handed top 4 guy would do that.  And we probably need a 3rd line C to replace Bozak.  But the combo or Johnson and Kapanen should replace JVR's output, or at least get within 100 miles of it.  We don't need to go out and get another 30 goal winger t replace him, that's for sure.

So what else?  Doesn't seem like that many are needed to me. 

Even if all we got was one or two good D-Men, and I'd be happy with that.  The rest can come from within.

the team will "upgrade" by getting rid of Gardiner,,, the whole mind set will improve ,," there it's been said" ,, so roast it if you's want ,,, also,,, hope you "monkeys" have a good summer also,, 

Edited by bandit
add on

11 hours ago, Nipzie said:

If they're a top 5 to 7 team again I would hope they go past the first round. Otherwise it seems like they'd be underachieving. 

i thought we underachieved this year in the playoffs, so yeah, i would agree.   

1 hour ago, bandit said:

the team will "upgrade" by getting rid of Gardiner,,, the whole mind set will improve ,," there it's been said" ,, so roast it if you's want ,,, also,,, hope you "monkeys" have a good summer also,, 

gardiner isn't going anywhere.

37 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

gardiner isn't going anywhere.

I hope you're wrong.

His value will never be higher, and he's a UFA at season's end.  You absolutely have to move him now, or risk getting a diminished (no) return. 

Unless you think he'll be extended.....

Edited by Doc J

1 hour ago, Armster said:

I'm willing to give him one more year before I totally hate him but he's kinda starting to become a bit like a bad girlfriend that's really fucking hot.

Because he's shown flashes of amazing ability and then long stretches of absolute shitty plays, decisions, everything. 

Dude is so bipolar on the ice I think Bell needs to make him a poster child for their lets talk campaign this year 

8 hours ago, Raiden said:

Because he's shown flashes of amazing ability and then long stretches of absolute shitty plays, decisions, everything. 

Dude is so bipolar on the ice I think Bell needs to make him a poster child for their lets talk campaign this year 

Sometimes you just have to cut bait but it's oh so hard when the sex is so fucking good lol.

15 hours ago, Armster said:

I'm willing to give him one more year before I totally hate him but he's kinda starting to become a bit like a bad girlfriend that's really fucking hot.

I mean, that washington series I thought he had turned a corner.. That same guy is still there somewhere.

15 hours ago, Doc J said:

I hope you're wrong.

His value will never be higher, and he's a UFA at season's end.  You absolutely have to move him now, or risk getting a diminished (no) return. 

Unless you think he'll be extended.....

I wouldn’t be surprised, but I’m not sure how his value will never be higher?  he’s coming off the worst performance of his career.

6 minutes ago, Pai Mei said:

I wouldn’t be surprised, but I’m not sure how his value will never be higher?  he’s coming off the worst performance of his career.

He had 52 pts last season.  Easily his best.  

One shitty game (and boy was it shitty) isn't gonna change that.  

Highly doubt Gardiner will be going anywhere, unless its part of a package in a deal.

Even though I've been highly critical of his decision making for quite awhile, there is no denying his talent.

I think he just needs to be sheltered a little more by better depth on the blue line and a true top 4 pairings.

The leafs need enough depth at D, that if Gardiner is having an off night, they can cut back his minutes and let him ride it out.

Also, a legitimate PP quarter back would be nice as well. I'm not a big fan of the forward on the point.