Sign in to follow this  
King of Dick Mountain

Your 2018/2019 Toronto Maple Leafs

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Since Kappy is injured and Nylander will be back on Matthews line I wonder if to make that line more cozy if Hyman should be back on it and throw Johnsson on the JT line?

Johnsson - JT - Marner

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander

just something I pondered on and wondered about.

Why????

I read 957579972349708359 posts on here last year that Hyman was the equivalent of Syphilis on that line and all he did was make life miserable for the two golden children

28 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

That’s Brown’s now. I think Armster said it before, but Hyman became everything we wished Brown would turn out to be and vice versa.

Hyman's become everything that I thought Brown was going to be, and Brown has become everything I thought Hyman was.  But that's why Babs is an NHL coach and I'm not.

1 hour ago, brocto said:

Tonight was Matthews' 5th goal that was taken back.

NHL cares about superstars......

Back to back games where the leggio rule is needed. They better change things next year.

But Matthews flat out said whenever there's a review now he automatically assumes it's no goal.

Edited by majingir

11 hours ago, majingir said:

Sounds like Gardiner might not be ready anytime soon.

Dermott could be back soon. And Rosen could be ready in a week.

I am not at all a Gardiner fan, but we sure are struggling without him eating up big minutes back there.  Pretty hard to replace a 23-minute-a-night, 2nd pairing D-Man.  But I guess we'll have to.

33 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

I am not at all a Gardiner fan, but we sure are struggling without him eating up big minutes back there.  Pretty hard to replace a 23-minute-a-night, 2nd pairing D-Man.  But I guess we'll have to.

With 2 guys out, we have 3 of our 6 dmen being guys who shouldn't be on roster to begin with. 

Besides re-signing our FA forwards, Leafs better go all out getting good NHL dmen. 3 straight seasons of being a playoff team while having the same obvious weakness known league wide. Imagine in Andersen faces under 30 shots a game? 

People can hate on Sparks all they want too, but unless he's getting a shutout or allowing 1 goal on 44 shots, we weren't winning that game. Can't score if you don't have the puck. 

Edited by majingir

2 hours ago, majingir said:

With 2 guys out, we have 3 of our 6 dmen being guys who shouldn't be on roster to begin with. 

Besides re-signing our FA forwards, Leafs better go all out getting good NHL dmen. 3 straight seasons of being a playoff team while having the same obvious weakness known league wide. Imagine in Andersen faces under 30 shots a game? 

People can hate on Sparks all they want too, but unless he's getting a shutout or allowing 1 goal on 44 shots, we weren't winning that game. Can't score if you don't have the puck. 

Sparks has allowed 4+ goals in 7 of his 16 starts this season... while playing behind the same defence as Andersen has but against inferior opponents.

Does the team need to play better in front of him? Sure, but Sparks himself just isn’t giving the team a chance to win. You need a backup who gives you a chance, and this team doesn’t have that anymore. He's a less positionally-sound version of Bernier.

Edited by Morrison7

He's still technically a rookie, so cant act like this will always be what he's like.

In all his starts, I'd say 6 are ones he played well enough to win(0-2GA), 5 bad enough to lose(5+ GA), and 3 could go either way(3-4GA).

As a backup, you want his seasonal average to be at least a point per start. He's gotten Leafs 15pts in 14 starts. I said it awhile back, he ranks around middle of the league in terms of backups. So a rookie goalie is an average backup goalie league wide. Not the worst situation to be in.

Sure, easy for some to wonder why they didn't keep McElhinney, but he's a 35 year old goalie who posted a .910Sv% 3 times in his career. Who would've bet money he'd be doing what he's done this year? He faces about 29.5 shots compared to 33 for Sparks.

If Leafs let Sparks go and he put up even similar numbers to Mcelhinney, there'd be fans mad at Dubas for getting rid of him in favor of a guy who's 10 years older.

19 hours ago, majingir said:

He's still technically a rookie, so cant act like this will always be what he's like.

In all his starts, I'd say 6 are ones he played well enough to win(0-2GA), 5 bad enough to lose(5+ GA), and 3 could go either way(3-4GA).

As a backup, you want his seasonal average to be at least a point per start. He's gotten Leafs 15pts in 14 starts. I said it awhile back, he ranks around middle of the league in terms of backups. So a rookie goalie is an average backup goalie league wide. Not the worst situation to be in.

Sure, easy for some to wonder why they didn't keep McElhinney, but he's a 35 year old goalie who posted a .910Sv% 3 times in his career. Who would've bet money he'd be doing what he's done this year? He faces about 29.5 shots compared to 33 for Sparks.

If Leafs let Sparks go and he put up even similar numbers to Mcelhinney, there'd be fans mad at Dubas for getting rid of him in favor of a guy who's 10 years older.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

It is for that reason that the comments made by Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock on Monday come as such a big surprise. Speaking with Sportsnet's Luke Fox Babcock had some harsh criticism of the current Maple Leafs roster, directly implying that the current depth options at his disposal were simply not good enough to get the job done.

"You're supposed to build the best program you can so you have as much depth so you don't miss people," said the Leafs head coach as per Fox. "If you have enough, you don't miss a beat and you just keep going. There's other teams that have done a better job when different players are out than we have in keeping on going. That just tells you what state we're at, and you hust gotta keep adding better players."

There can be absolutely no doubt that this criticism from Babcock is intended to call out a lack of talent in his depth options and you have to wonder how general manager Kyle Dubas will feel about those comments given that he was already clearly frustrated at times when watching his Maple Leafs fall apart last week. I can't imagine that a very young general manager, one who was chosen for the position over some very big and well respected names in hockey, will take very kindly to having his coach challenge his roster decisions so openly.

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

It is for that reason that the comments made by Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock on Monday come as such a big surprise. Speaking with Sportsnet's Luke Fox Babcock had some harsh criticism of the current Maple Leafs roster, directly implying that the current depth options at his disposal were simply not good enough to get the job done.

"You're supposed to build the best program you can so you have as much depth so you don't miss people," said the Leafs head coach as per Fox. "If you have enough, you don't miss a beat and you just keep going. There's other teams that have done a better job when different players are out than we have in keeping on going. That just tells you what state we're at, and you hust gotta keep adding better players."

There can be absolutely no doubt that this criticism from Babcock is intended to call out a lack of talent in his depth options and you have to wonder how general manager Kyle Dubas will feel about those comments given that he was already clearly frustrated at times when watching his Maple Leafs fall apart last week. I can't imagine that a very young general manager, one who was chosen for the position over some very big and well respected names in hockey, will take very kindly to having his coach challenge his roster decisions so openly.

Pretty bold statement coming from the guy who's made some questionable coaching decisions nearly all season long. Other teams have survived without adding much, why can't he?