Leaf_history

How does the current roster of the Leafs compare to past teams?

Which team is best?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is best?

Hello all,

New to this forum (but not the Leafs fandom) and am very excited at the potential of the 2018-19 Maple Leafs, for obvious reasons. The signing of Tavares reminded me of when Gilmour was traded to the Leafs (both are elite centremen, "hometown" boys). And I wondered how this Leafs team stacked up compared to not only the 1992-93 Leafs, but also the 2001-02 Leafs, as these two teams are the closest we've been to a cup these past 50 some odd years. 

These are the rosters I could best come up with. The 18-19 Leafs based on what Babs has said, and the 92-93 and 01-02 teams based on watching footage and seeing who played with who. I was barely cognitive for that 02 run, and not alive for the 93 run, so if I made any mistakes just point it out. 

2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Jooris/Gauthier-Brown

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

2001-02 Toronto Maple Leafs

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Reichel-McCauley-Valk
Tucker-Green-Mogilny
Hoglund-Corson-Healey

Kaberle-McCabe
Berg-Lumme
Cross-Pilar

Joseph
Schwab

1992-93 Toronto Maple Leafs

Andreychuk-Gilmour-Anderson
Clark-Krushelnyski-Foligno
Borschevsky-Manderville/Cullen-Pearson
Berg-Zezel-Osborne

Ellett-Macoun
Gill-Lefebvre
Rouse-Mironov

Potvin
Puppa

Which team would you say is the best between the three? How does our current team match up compared to the Gilmour and Sundin Leafs? Also, this offseason is not done yet so there's a chance we'll add a defenseman, but this is what we've got for now. 

Edited by Leaf_history

13 minutes ago, uteck said:

No even close. 2018-19. 

Miles and miles better

Different eras where toughness came into play more often but 92/93 team was one step away grasping Stan.

Plus most of the core were veterans/warriors.

We may be great on paper now and probably do come to life considering where the NHL speed and mind state of the game is at an.d no doubt we look like we have an ample window to succeed, so you may be right but kilometres may not even describe it. (again, one year or two years does not consider pr cpmpete with the window we have now) but back then we looked awesome too!

Edited by Danny

The roster looks better now than it ever did. I might have not been around before the early 1990's, but this is the best roster the Leafs have ever boasted in my lifetime.

-A generational talent in Matthews.
-A franchise player in Tavares
- 2 exceptionally talented players in Nylander and Marner
- A solid, gritty 2-way center in Kadri
- A reliable #1 goalie in Andersen, who has very much so helped us win a lot of games
- Rielly, who has all tools to be a top 2 defenseman, not to mention the qualities of a good leader
-Promising young Dmen in Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin
-Quality depth. Guys like Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Grundstrom, Bracco, etc....

Anyone else ever recall the system being this deep? I don't.

36 minutes ago, Danny said:

Different eras where toughness came into play more often but 02/03 team was one step away grasping Stan.

Plus most of the core were veterans/warriors.

We may be great on paper now and probably do come to life considering where the NHL speed and mind state of the game is at an.d no doubt we look like we have an ample window to succeed, so you may be right but kilometres may not even describe it. (again, one year or two years does not consider the window we have now) but back then we looked awesome too!

02/03 was great but Look at this roster

tavares 1st overall

matthews 1st overall

marner 4th overall

rielly 5th overall

nylander 7th overall

kadri 7th overall

gardiner 16th overall

all who are young

This is like 70’s habs talent 

2 minutes ago, uteck said:

tavares 1st overall

matthews 1st overall

marner 4th overall

rielly 5th overall

nylander 7th overall

kadri 7th overall

gardiner 16th overall

all who are young

It really is or seems that way.

Believe me bud, I am ecstatic and even with the west improving moreso than our east, well it does seem like we can throw out the lines and hopefully Andersen can lean on his stick more often than not.

Right now as Leafs fans, pretty sure we are all leaning on our stick. lol

Oh and by the way, lets not forget about Hall of famers on that 92 team/

Some of the players we have are still kids. ( kids with potential mind you) but 92 had some vets that already played way more games combined and won more trophies,scoring races, all stars ect.....:)

27 minutes ago, uteck said:

tavares 1st overall

matthews 1st overall

marner 4th overall

rielly 5th overall

nylander 7th overall

kadri 7th overall

gardiner 16th overall

all who are young

Liljegren was the top European in his draft year until mono kept him out for like 80% of the year. He is in a prime position to be the biggest steal of the draft, and the best D out of the group.

1 hour ago, Leaf_history said:

Hello all,

New to this forum (but not the Leafs fandom) and am very excited at the potential of the 2018-19 Maple Leafs, for obvious reasons. The signing of Tavares reminded me of when Gilmour was traded to the Leafs (both are elite centremen, "hometown" boys). And I wondered how this Leafs team stacked up compared to not only the 1992-93 Leafs, but also the 2001-02 Leafs, as these two teams are the closest we've been to a cup these past 50 some odd years. 

These are the rosters I could best come up with. The 18-19 Leafs based on what Babs has said, and the 92-93 and 01-02 teams based on watching footage and seeing who played with who. I was barely cognitive for that 02 run, and not alive for the 93 run, so if I made any mistakes just point it out. 

2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Jooris/Gauthier-Brown

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

2001-02 Toronto Maple Leafs

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Reichel-McCauley-Valk
Tucker-Green-Mogilny
Hoglund-Corson-Healey

Kaberle-McCabe
Berg-Lumme
Cross-Pilar

Joseph
Schwab

1992-93 Toronto Maple Leafs

Andreychuk-Gilmour-Anderson
Clark-Krushelnyski-Foligno
Borschevsky-Manderville/Cullen-Pearson
Berg-Zezel-Osborne

Ellett-Macoun
Gill-Lefebvre
Rouse-Mironov

Potvin
Puppa

Which team would you say is the best between the three? How does our current team match up compared to the Gilmour and Sundin Leafs? Also, this offseason is not done yet so there's a chance we'll add a defenseman, but this is what we've got for now. 

BTW,..welcome.

Awesome first post

and to be picky but not to slight your line up but I think

Hyman -Matthews-Nylander They seemed comfy, and were able to play again top lines leaving JT to see different opponents while Marleau looked pretty cozy around Kadri (even though Mitch moves)

Johnsson.-Tavares-Marner - I stick Johnsson in the slot because he seems to be fiesty and full of piss and vinegar and gives Marner the other option. Tavares plays around the perimeter of the net and is a tip master which Marner can peg all the dooda day, plus Johnsson can bust a line with Marner creating space for JT oncoming.

Maleau-Kadri-Kapanen - This is a great third line with speed,, smarts and sandpaper

Leivo-Jooris/Gauthier-Brown - I too feel all above moves Brown downtown but it ends up being great for him and his supporting cast.

1 hour ago, Armster said:

The centre depth is unfathomable.  Shit, Kadri would be a first line centre on some times like say oh the Habs for instance.😂

This. Tavares-Matthews-Kadri down the middle with a replaceable 4th line center should keep us contending for a long time! 

11 hours ago, Devin Weston said:

The roster looks better now than it ever did. I might have not been around before the early 1990's, but this is the best roster the Leafs have ever boasted in my lifetime.

-A generational talent in Matthews.
-A franchise player in Tavares
- 2 exceptionally talented players in Nylander and Marner
- A solid, gritty 2-way center in Kadri
- A reliable #1 goalie in Andersen, who has very much so helped us win a lot of games
- Rielly, who has all tools to be a top 2 defenseman, not to mention the qualities of a good leader
-Promising young Dmen in Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin
-Quality depth. Guys like Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Grundstrom, Bracco, etc....

Anyone else ever recall the system being this deep? I don't.

Seems like yesterday that Robbie Earl was considered to be the "best" prospect in the system and Tim Connolly was signed to be a 1C. Woof.

22 hours ago, tbnl said:

Sorry, soft spot for 92-93.

That's when I started watching hockey and the Leafs, and until someone gets past the conference finals, old school wins it.

I'm with you, this coming season's version could be the best, but until it proves itself it's highly encouraging but still an unknown.

Also:

1. A team is so much more than just its lineup, we need to see how the character and chemistry plays out on the ice.

2. Goaltending is SUCH a big part of this, and I don't think Andersen has been consistently great enough to put him on a level with either Potvin or Joseph.

Edited by Humper
Typo glitch removed

Considering that they haven't played yet, we have no idea how the current team will do.

How about the team where one of the top defensemen in the league, with four Cups to his credit, couldn't crack the D, and was moved to forward, where he won four more Cups?  A team that had ten Hall of Famers.

8 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

As much as I loved the Gilmour/Clark era in Leaf history.........this team is just SOOOOO much more talented.  The Leafs have never had this much talent assembled on one team.  Ever.

The best in recent memory for me was probably 04, but even then, most of those guys were past their prime.

It's great feeling though to actually go into a season not just thinking "Leafs could/will make playoffs" but legitimately thinking they have as good a chance as anyone to go all the way. Been 15 years since fans have had that type of hope.

Edited by majingir