Sign in to follow this  
CognitiveBias

Nylander Signs for 6yrs/6.9M AAV(Where was Nylander?)

3 minutes ago, §andman said:

I feel like some of you are so blinded by this whole "win a cup" thing and the fact you're Leaf fans and have a specific bias. 

Nobody that young, signing their first contract is taking a hometown discount. You would have to be a very, very special (and somewhat dumb) player. It's easy for us to sit here and say, "he's going to make millions anyway, whats the matter with him?" Truth is, money talks. 

When you're good enough to make the NHL (your dream) and you're good enough to be considered a star player, you're going to want to cash in. This might be the only time in your career you can (injuries, worse play, death, who knows). 

And no, your agent, the person you HIRE to get you the most bang for your buck, is not going to say, "Hey Willy, y'know, just sign for what Toronto offers you. I don't want to negotiate with them. I'l also accept a smaller paycut by getting you less pay." #BestAgentEver

Fair enough.... I’m not talking about a home town discount... I’m saying that if he is asking 8 and the leafs are offering 6.5... and if his agent realizes that it’s going to probably end closer to the leafs’ side, then it might be worth it to not play hardball and come to an agreement, especially if the Nylander wants to stay with the leafs. 

Maybe Ny is waiting for @majingir to post it something to this effect.

Wow, whoever thought that it would take Nylander 29 days to sign (including our pre-season start) AND@ 2.9 million dollars less than what he was asking (assuming it was 8m)  in a bridge deal 2.9 years.

Image result for muhahaha

Edited by Danny

27 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Kadri scored 45 points the season he signed his extension. His career high at that point was 50. Nylander has back to back 61 point seasons. Bridge  deal would bite the Leafs in the ass

Well sure, maybe if we compare it to Kutcherov and his bridge deal but If Nylander thinks he is good for 8, well how bout 8.5 when it comes to signing after the bridge.

Not only does it allow us more wiggle room for our upcoming contracts Marns and Matts, but it also gets Nylander closer to an age where we  may not resign him after the new contract is completed. 22 now, bridge him, sign him for 8, makes him around 32 years of age by then.

I guess all n all looking at a three year window to do some signings, tie down Matthews, Mitch,, ect while contracts of Marleau become more allowance money for a player like NY later down the road.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Well sure, maybe if we compare it to Kutcherov and his bridge deal but If Nylander thinks he is good for 8, well how bout 8.5 when it comes to signing after the bridge.

Not only does it allow us more wiggle room for our upcoming contracts Marns and Matts, but it also gets Nylander closer to an age where we  may not resign him after the new contract is completed. 22 now, bridge him, sign him for 8, makes him around 32 years of age by then.

I guess all n all looking at a three year window to do some signings, tie down Matthews, Mitch,, ect while contracts of Marleau become more allowance money for a player like NY later down the road.

what are you talking about? signing nylander for 8 in two years is worse and causes more cap issues than signing him for 6.5 now

3 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

what are you talking about? signing nylander for 8 in two years is worse and causes more cap issues than signing him for 6.5 now

Well, true,... if he will sign at 6.5.

I hope he does, it does seem fair.

18 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I did mention that Marleaus' contract will be over allowing more savings, plus the cap should go up as well, so like I said it buys us some time to keep a solid 1-2-3 punch up front. I dunno, I guess I am not opposed to a bridge, but again, it would be nice if he signed long term now for around that 6.5 range you mention.

1 hour ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Kadri scored 45 points the season he signed his extension. His career high at that point was 50. Nylander has back to back 61 point seasons. Bridge  deal would bite the Leafs in the ass

It could. Or it could be massive trade opportunity for a position(s) of need 

On 9/22/2018 at 7:57 PM, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Nylander for McAvoy.

There’s no way either team does this, and I’m definitely not a fan of trading one of our rising stars to a divisional rival for a guy who, like Matthews and Marner, is entering the final year of his ELC and is going to receive a substantial pay raise.

Edited by Morrison7

On 9/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, Mantis Toboggan said:

Nylander played with Matthews....Kadri played with nobody.

Kadri has had back to back 30 goal seasons....a big improvement.    Nylander did not improve....Marner did, and we have to take care of him next year.

Nylander not signing is one thing, not training is a bad thing (for him), the team rolling along like a freight train without him is a very bad thing (for him).....I think he's going to get a bridge deal, in order for the team to see what exactly they have.    He might not like it, and that's fine...he can prove to the team that they were wrong.

Regardless we need a defenceman....or at least a better defenceman....and IMO, Nylander is the player that gets traded to make that happen.

33 minutes ago, AJ_2000 said:

Nylander played with Matthews....Kadri played with nobody.

Kadri has had back to back 30 goal seasons....a big improvement.    Nylander did not improve....Marner did, and we have to take care of him next year.

Nylander not signing is one thing, not training is a bad thing (for him), the team rolling along like a freight train without him is a very bad thing (for him).....I think he's going to get a bridge deal, in order for the team to see what exactly they have.    He might not like it, and that's fine...he can prove to the team that they were wrong.

Regardless we need a defenceman....or at least a better defenceman....and IMO, Nylander is the player that gets traded to make that happen.

Kadris 30 goal seasons came after his contract was signed so they aren't relevant to the discussion. I think Nylander improved as a player, just not on his overall point total.

It's also the first time he's gone back to back 20+ in his career. He's never gone back to back 60 point seasons. When he was Willy's age, he had 51 NHL games, Nylander has 48 goals. 

It's not playing with Matthews, he's better.

I'd rather he not be sitting out and I don't think it's best for him, but he also doesn't have to sign just because you think he should. And he's not going to play without a contract. As far as training, I'm sure he is. He's not sitting at home eating donuts and watching Veep on Netflix.

16 minutes ago, koho said:

so is anybody on side with the idea that Marner will have to be the odd man out if they give Nylander what he wants(the rumoured 8m per)

Never told you this and glad to see that you are semi okay after the tornado, but,...GTFO, you must have some wind burn or something.

3 hours ago, TuckerIntensity said:

It's also the first time he's gone back to back 20+ in his career. He's never gone back to back 60 point seasons. When he was Willy's age, he had 51 NHL games, Nylander has 48 goals. 

It's not playing with Matthews, he's better.

I'd rather he not be sitting out and I don't think it's best for him, but he also doesn't have to sign just because you think he should. And he's not going to play without a contract. As far as training, I'm sure he is. He's not sitting at home eating donuts and watching Veep on Netflix.

Veep isn’t on Netflix 

Dregs says Nylander is looking for upwards of $7mil, and we’re firm around $6mil. Seems like the gap is a lot closer than some were suggesting. Both sides are likely just being stubborn. Nylander doesn’t want to sit out, he’ll eventually sign even if it’s short term. If he wants to get paid he should just sign 4 years at $6mil and be a 28 year old free agent