Sign in to follow this  
CognitiveBias

Nylander Signs for 6yrs/6.9M AAV(Where was Nylander?)

2 hours ago, Doc J said:

51940941a9924ed4b666177d386a6499.png

So, since the last lockout, in the current cba, there's been a year over year increase of 4.3m, 4.7m, 2.4m, 1.6m, 2.0m, 4.5m.  Or an average 3.25m.  

Just don't tell anyone.  

Motherfucker come on. This is just getting silly now.

People don't remember, or perhaps didn't realize at all, but the cap was staying flat and actually in danger of falling slightly going from 2016/17 into 2017/18. The only reason it didn't, and in fact ended up increasing is because the NHLPA voted to use the escalator clause which has a direct negative impact on escrow. If similar were to happen again say next year, I highly doubt they do it again. Last I heard escrow was at something like 16% and the players are already furious about that.

19 minutes ago, Sypher_04 said:

People don't remember, or perhaps didn't realize at all, but the cap was staying flat and actually in danger of falling slightly going from 2016/17 into 2017/18. The only reason it didn't, and in fact ended up increasing is because the NHLPA voted to use the escalator clause which has a direct negative impact on escrow. If similar were to happen again say next year, I highly doubt they do it again. Last I heard escrow was at something like 16% and the players are already furious about that.

i heard that escrow may reach 18% this year, I just wish the agents/NHLPA would explain to the players how it actually works and why there is a need for escrow, it seems the the PA and it's leadership want to make this a wedge issue, even though they're the ones who keep encouraging the players to use the escalator. This is just bad faith from the current leadership.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

about this percentage of cap argument

yes it's a real number, but just another stupid number that has become some sort of an issue

it's a bullshit smokescreen tempest in a teapot to further the confusion among the players and bamboozle the fanxperts, seeing as the cap is always going up, cap % is moot

the only thing that counts as far as players should be concerned is what dollars they're paid and how those dollars could effect the team going forward, but they don't and it's really fucking sad

Edited by koho

11 minutes ago, koho said:

i heard that escrow may reach 18% this year, I just wish the agents/NHLPA would explain to the players how it actually works and why there is a need for escrow, it seems the the PA and it's leadership want to make this a wedge issue, even though they're the ones who keep encouraging the players to use the escalator. This is just bad faith from the current leadership.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

about this percentage of cap argument

yes it's a real number, but just another stupid number that has become some sort of an issue

it's a bullshit smokescreen tempest in a teapot to further the confusion among the players and bamboozle the fanxperts, seeing as the cap is always going up, cap % is moot

the only thing that counts as far as players should be concerned is what dollars they're paid and how those dollars could effect the team going forward, but they don't and it's really fucking sad

It is a union environment. Players have to balance the NHLPA demands and their own desires.

If Marner gives the leafs a huge home town discount, all the other up and coming players will be super pissed at Marner, because teams will use Marner's contract against the young stars in negotiations.

The NHLPA wants/demands that Mitch get as much as possible from the leafs. They care very little if the leafs win the cup, they just want the players getting as much as possible, even in a salary cap world.

Same with Matthews, hthe expectations are he gets close top McDavid $$$.

Dubas does have a huge job the next 2 seasons to get everything battened down as fiscally prudent as possible.

Just now, Sypher_04 said:

What you negotiate still has to have a basis in reality. ie comparables

absolutely....and if Matthews has a huge year 40 goals 95+ points....expect him to ask for McDavid money....that is all.

The contract is actually cheaper than McDavid's because of the increase in the cap...refer either to batman or Doc for specifics

2 hours ago, Armster said:

Motherfucker come on. This is just getting silly now.

this one is my fault. i baited him.

koho saying cap% is moot is hilarious though. it isn't moot at all. if someone wants to use Crosby as a comparable, they aren't using the 8.7M AAV he has, they're using his cap hit percentage, which is something like 13.5%. going by AAV alone is a good way to leave money on the table

4 minutes ago, Jhator said:

Does waiting prove beneficial to the Leafs? Like in terms of a cap situation? I know we have 13 mill, just trying to think if there’s a reason Dubas May be being sneaky.

@LeafsGeeksPodcast wrote an article talking about how players who signed closer to the regular season ended up signing for less than their comparables.

from reddit:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/ska-ringa-honom-i-dag-han-maste-tanka-sig-for/

The article is in Swedish, so I translated it;

The chaos around William Nylander continues and the Swede's future in Tornto Maple Leafs is uncertain. Then one of club's greatest through the times steps up. "I'm going to call and chat with William. I think he has to be wary," says Börje Salming.

The NHL season starts in a few weeks. The question all Toronto Maple Leafs fans are asking now; Will William Nylander be a part of the team then? The 22 year old is not in Canada at Toronto's training camp in preperation for the season, and according to local media an agreement with the Maple Leafs is far away. The club wants to write a new contract with Nylander, whose rookie deal ended after the season, but the two parts can't agree on the salary.

According to media in Canada, Nylander demands 72 million swedish crowns per season, a demand the Maple Leafs hardly will meet as it's said they want to give him a year salary at a maximum of 60 million Swedish crowns. Börje Salming, who played for the Maple Leafs between 1973 and 1989, follows the development with concern. "I think it's very sad for William. I have been over and watched him a lot the latest two years, and he's really good. People love him there," says Salming.

The Toronto icon continues; "I think he should think it through thoroughly. Imagine if they don't come to an agreement and he lands on another team instead, then everything he's built in Toronto can be ruined. There's always a risk about going to another team, you may not get along with the trainer and get sent down to the AHL, who knows." Salming understands that there's a lot of money involved, but emphazises that there's other values. Now he's going to call Nylander to give him advice.

"It's not a shitty contract they're offering, it's a really good contract, and money isn't everything. William's a very nice guy and I don't know if there's someone else behind the demands. But I'm going to call him during the day," he says.

What are you going to say?

"That I want him to think it through thoroughly. If it's worth it. He'll surely write a new contract with Toronto in two- to three years if he accepts this contract. We've talked a lot before and he's a good guy. It's sad that it's like this."

17 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

Nylander is worth a lot more than Dotchin.  And could Tampa afford to pay Nylander 7 or so million for the next bunch of years?  Doubt it.

Dotchin had his contract terminated by Tampa because he showed up to training camp 30 pounds overweight and sitting at 25% body fat.

You missed the joke...

6 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Dotchin had his contract terminated by Tampa because he showed up to training camp 30 pounds overweight and sitting at 25% body fat.

You missed the joke...

Aha, I didn't know that.  

Good joke!

So............we're keeping Nylander, then?  ;) 

Edited by Holymakinaw