Sign in to follow this  
CognitiveBias

Nylander Signs for 6yrs/6.9M AAV(Where was Nylander?)

1 hour ago, Jhator said:

We could get just about any defenseman in the league for Nylander. Probably fewer than 10 that would cost more.

I think your right   ,Nylander + Gardiner,, to Sanjose",,,, and grab ,Karlson,in return ,,"good trade",,, as the Indians say ,,,

1 hour ago, bandit said:

I think your right   ,Nylander + Gardiner,, to Sanjose",,,, and grab ,Karlson,in return ,,"good trade",,, as the Indians say ,,,

6 minutes ago, bandit said:

oh ! I'm sorry I wasn't aware that punctuation was outdated,,, "do you know WHY a dog licks his balls ? 🙂

punctuation isn't "outdated" .. but look at that post. comma immediately before Nylander, two commas after Gardiner, like 5 commas after your end quote, comma immediately before and after Karlson, two commas before your next beginning quote, 4 immediately after the end quote, and then 4 more commas at the end to close it off. 

4 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

nobody can name a defenseman who is available but are you implying that Nylander isn't worth a top 4 guy? because he for sure is.

For sure he is.  I'm just saying that it's not that easy.  Teams don't usually trade those guys.  I don;'t think any team is offering any right now.  I've heard all the names......Trouba, Dumba, Parayko, Tanev, etc........but I've yet to see any REAL buzz about them.  Just a lot of forum discussion and trade proposals from us.

Edited by Holymakinaw

16 hours ago, canadaguy said:

Sorry to stray off topic... I can't decide whether I hate Jay and Dan or Sid and Tim more. Can we have a steel cage tagteam death match???

I like Tim & Sid duck.gif

I just record it and skip parts I don't care about, but there are good parts of the show to watch. 

Jay & Dan like the full name of their show suggests, is just SC with Jan & Dan. Same highlight pack, basically same script, and some other stuff mixed in.

Back to Nylander talk. Imagine if nothing happens before pre-season ends, and then when introducing the starting lineups for the first game, suddenly Nylander gets announced. They announce his signing during the player introductions.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:38 PM, Jhator said:

There’s no way he’s asking for 8+. He’s not a dummy. Leafs will be using guys like Larkin, Pastrnak, Barkov, Ehlers as comparibles. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2018/09/18/auston-mattthews-misses-william-nylander.html

Rumour is that he’s asking $8....I don’t care what he’s asking....it is a negotiation and good for him to ask.

Personally, I don’t think much of him...so if they can trade him for a Defenseman....GREAT!!!!

On 9/20/2018 at 3:44 PM, Holymakinaw said:

Oh yeah?  Can you name any that are available, for Nylander?

The only defender that was “available” was Karlson....and we have enough of that type of dman on this team already.

I’d make a few calls to teams that have defence, but perhaps lack offence (ie. Nashville) and see what they’d be willing to part with...and it doesn’t have to be P.K.

Nylander is a good forward...he’s not great...and he’s certainly not worth $8 per...but if some other GM thinks he is....GREAT. 

Babcock made a comment about him needing to put the puck under the bar...I don’t recall the context exactly, but he plays with Matthews and didn’t exactly improve last year.   And we have Matthews and Marner to take care of next year....and I’d take either one of them over Nylander (right now).   Maybe in the future he gets better...maybe even amazing...but paying him $6 or more for what we’ve seen, given who he’s been playing with.....sorry, not for my money.

To find out if a defender is available, all you have to do is make a call, send a text/email....or maybe put out a rumour that Nylander is available and watch the offers come in...there is no secret to what we want...so far in preseason I haven’t missed him at all...heck the only time his name gets brought up is when the media asks about the negotiations towards the end of a presser (sort of like finding some piece of information on the back page of the classifieds)

23 hours ago, tbnl said:

I'm starting to feel he'll go 2 weeks into the season without getting signed... team does well without him and when he does sign, becomes a footnote until after Christmas when he finally gets his legs back.

With the team doing well, his agent would be wise to tell him to sign as he doesn’t really have any clout at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, AJ_2000 said:

The only defender that was “available” was Karlson....and we have enough of that type of dman on this team already.

I’d make a few calls to teams that have defence, but perhaps lack offence (ie. Nashville) and see what they’d be willing to part with...and it doesn’t have to be P.K.

Nylander is a good forward...he’s not great...and he’s certainly not worth $8 per...but if some other GM thinks he is....GREAT. 

Babcock made a comment about him needing to put the puck under the bar...I don’t recall the context exactly, but he plays with Matthews and didn’t exactly improve last year.   And we have Matthews and Marner to take care of next year....and I’d take either one of them over Nylander (right now).   Maybe in the future he gets better...maybe even amazing...but paying him $6 or more for what we’ve seen, given who he’s been playing with.....sorry, not for my money.

To find out if a defender is available, all you have to do is make a call, send a text/email....or maybe put out a rumour that Nylander is available and watch the offers come in...there is no secret to what we want...so far in preseason I haven’t missed him at all...heck the only time his name gets brought up is when the media asks about the negotiations towards the end of a presser (sort of like finding some piece of information on the back page of the classifieds)

Pump the brakes?

Just now, canadaguy said:

Depends on what the numbers are and how much confidence nylander has in the potential of this team to win a cup.

I feel like some of you are so blinded by this whole "win a cup" thing and the fact you're Leaf fans and have a specific bias. 

Nobody that young, signing their first contract is taking a hometown discount. You would have to be a very, very special (and somewhat dumb) player. It's easy for us to sit here and say, "he's going to make millions anyway, whats the matter with him?" Truth is, money talks. 

When you're good enough to make the NHL (your dream) and you're good enough to be considered a star player, you're going to want to cash in. This might be the only time in your career you can (injuries, worse play, death, who knows). 

And no, your agent, the person you HIRE to get you the most bang for your buck, is not going to say, "Hey Willy, y'know, just sign for what Toronto offers you. I don't want to negotiate with them. I'l also accept a smaller paycut by getting you less pay." #BestAgentEver