Sign in to follow this  
CognitiveBias

Where is Nylander?

I think there’s less of an argument from the Leafs side with Marner and Matthews because they’re both pretty dominant. Especially if Mitch comes out of the gate the way he played the second half last year. Nylander is dominant for weeks at a time, but he’s quite clearly the third man in that race, and I doubt he’s willing to admit that, or admit that it should be a detriment to him. 

4 minutes ago, uteck said:

Ummmm yeah. 

See.....,Nylander is Swedish not Finnish..... so by saying Finns Negotiate hard, I am implying that Nylander is actually Finnish. Freaking hilarious shit right there 

Did you start smoking meth or something?

32 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Basically what Lox said. Matthews is so dominant it’ll be easier to reach an agreement. Marner also has the hometown aspect. Grew up here, grew up a fan. He won’t want to sit out and miss time. 

This may end up being wishful thinking. If Marner explodes this year playing with Tavares, his agent will likely to be asking for Eichel+ money, and he should. 

1 hour ago, Raiden said:

Why is that? 

because they don't have the biggest clown ever as their agent like nylander has, who happens to pull this bs move every training camp with one of his players, which ends up not working, every damn time.  

1 hour ago, loxcane said:

Did you start smoking meth or something?

i don't get uteck's awful humour lately, but it's better than reading him and jodi fight for 40 pages a day. 

49 minutes ago, uteck said:

This may end up being wishful thinking. If Marner explodes this year playing with Tavares, his agent will likely to be asking for Eichel+ money, and he should. 

Marner won't get more than Laine and I doubt Laine gets more than 10M per season. Tarasenko is a good comparison for Laine and even his cap hit % (uh oh don't freak out @Doc J) only 10.27%.. actually, Laine has better numbers already than Tarasenko did when he signed. So he'll maybe come in around 11-12%. If Marner has a close to PPG year, he should probably come in around 10-11%. i'd have to spend more time with the comparables. maybe someone has already done an article about Laine. i'll google it

Screen-Shot-2018-09-14-at-3.17.26-AM.png

"Over the past decade, every forward who scored at a 0.90 point-per-game rate in their contract year earned at least 10 per cent of the salary cap at the time of their long-term extension. The only two exceptions are Gaudreau and Pastrnak.

These two share a lot in common with their historical comparables (i.e. age and point production), with one major exception: They signed their contracts much closer to the regular season."

Screen-Shot-2018-09-14-at-3.46.44-AM.png

so let's remove Pastrnak/Gaudreau from the mix. the average PPG (i guess he calls it Pts/GP) for all these players is .956, so we'll round up and call it .96 PPG. with an average CH% of 10.136, so again, round up and call it 10.14. so if Marner puts up 79 points this year, he's met the average PPG for those guys. if they want to lock him up long term, they'll probably have to go above average. so maybe 11.25%. off the 79.5M cap, that gives him an AAV of 8.94375. Eichel is the exception, not the norm. i'm not concerned about Marner at all.

Edited by Mantis Toboggan

8 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Marner won't get more than Laine and I doubt Laine gets more than 10M per season. Tarasenko is a good comparison for Laine and even his cap hit % (uh oh don't freak out @Doc J

Don't worry.  If at some point next year, I feel the unexpected need to know how much Marner's new deal would've impacted last season's cap, I officially know a guy.  

Youll be the the first person I call.  Promise.  

11 hours ago, loxcane said:

Honestly, the longer they wait... the more it might show marner and Matthews that they don’t want to go through this and they’ll get it done good and early 

True.

These deals are/will be undeniably connected.  

49 minutes ago, Doc J said:

Don't worry.  If at some point next year, I feel the unexpected need to know how much Marner's new deal would've impacted last season's cap, I officially know a guy.  

Youll be the the first person I call.  Promise.  

Do you honestly think that they negotiate with next year's...unknown...cap amount in mind? Like I'm seriously wondering how you're missing this point. You say cap hit is 8%, he says it was 8.5% when negotiated. Comparables to current negotiations would be signings relative to when signed. Crosby makes 8.7 but what does McDavid make? 

You are being purposely obtuse and wasting pages of pointless bullshit to die on a hill that's in a valley. 

14 minutes ago, Doc J said:

51940941a9924ed4b666177d386a6499.png

So, since the last lockout, in the current cba, there's been a year over year increase of 4.3m, 4.7m, 2.4m, 1.6m, 2.0m, 4.5m.  Or an average 3.25m.  

Just don't tell anyone.  

There has been talk about potentially freezing the cap to allow it to catch up to escrow as an idea to avoid the players re-opening the CBA in a year.

56 minutes ago, Doc J said:

51940941a9924ed4b666177d386a6499.png

So, since the last lockout, in the current cba, there's been a year over year increase of 4.3m, 4.7m, 2.4m, 1.6m, 2.0m, 4.5m.  Or an average 3.25m.  

Just don't tell anyone.  

And the 1.6 million is the one that I was referring to where I said it barely went up.  Lots of teams had issues with the cap that year expecting that it was going to keep rising. If you want to plan on money that isn't actually there then go ahead. I doubt that GMs will be.