Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Marner

On 12/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, Holymakinaw said:

LOL.  This is true.  Marner is on another level out there, and he's still only 21.  Jesus.

The core of this Leaf team is like having an "IN THE PRIME" Sundin(Matthews), Gilmour(Marner), Another Sundin(Tavares ;) ), Kovalchuk(Nylander) & Coffey(Rielly).  

That used to be a silly comparables type joke that deluded Leaf fans would make.  But now it's actually pretty true.  Yikes.

nylander isn’t like having kovalchuk in his prime -_- and reilly isnt like coffey is his prime -_-

good lord.   although... i’ll say matthews is better than sundin, so it balances slightly 😛

47 minutes ago, Armster said:

He just wanted to call Marner Gilmour.  Surprised he didn't call Matthews as Peca or something lol. Probably would have if he could have gotten away with that.

He IS a lot like Gilmour.  Are you old enough to remember how Gilmour played? ;)   Minus the headbutting, Marner does a lot similar dipsy-doodling out there, to set guys up.  And he's a shifty skater like Dougie and just controls the game like Dougie did.

Matthews ain't like Peca.  I think Sundin is a good comparison for him.........the Sundin before Hoglund and Renberg.  Maybe the McKegney - Sakic - Sundin era, in Quebec.  

Am I old enough to remember how Gilmour played?  Son, Dan Daoust was one of my childhood favourites..lol.

They play nothing alike.   Like not even close.  Marner is all edges and skating ability much like Denis Savard.  Gilmour was a tenacious bull who never, ever gave up on a play.  Marner's a playmaker, Gilmour was a passer.  There's a distinct difference.  And Sundin and Matthews play very different games as well.

I dont see the Gilmour comparison at all.

Definitely Savard compares better, but even better than that would be Gretzky.

Just for the way Marner sees the ice and controls the play.

Marner is by far better skater than Gretzky was and better on the backcheck.

I dont see the Sundin comparison, other than size. 

Matthews puck control and retrieval is Datsuk like, with a wrist shot like Sakic/Bossey.

Matthews edgework is by far better than Sundins was. Sundin had a rocket that we havent seen from Matthews (yet).

Matthews is Matthews and Marner is Marner.

No point in comparisons. These boys will become legends on their own merit and will far surpass anything Dougie and Sundin ever did or could ever do.

Hell, they've already written themselves into the Leafs rookie history books.

Just need to sign them for life and keep them healthy and happy. #GiveThemAllThe$

Edited by tbnl

1 hour ago, Armster said:

Am I old enough to remember how Gilmour played?  Son, Dan Daoust was one of my childhood favourites..lol.

They play nothing alike.   Like not even close.  Marner is all edges and skating ability much like Denis Savard.  Gilmour was a tenacious bull who never, ever gave up on a play.  Marner's a playmaker, Gilmour was a passer.  There's a distinct difference.  And Sundin and Matthews play very different games as well.

Meh.  Not everyone agrees.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/04/23/knights-mitch-marner-reminds-scouts-of-ex-leafs-captain-doug-gilmour.html

“He’s got a little bit of Doug Gilmour in him,” said Dan Marr, the chief scout for the NHL’s Central Scouting bureau. “Nothing you do is going to stop him from going out there to do what he can do.

“After Connor (McDavid), Mitch might be the most skilled player in the draft. Similar to Connor, it’s just the quickness in which he can process the game and execute plays. That really stands out in his favour.

“But then he’s got that durability and that grit level in him.”

37 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

Meh.  Not everyone agrees.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/04/23/knights-mitch-marner-reminds-scouts-of-ex-leafs-captain-doug-gilmour.html

“He’s got a little bit of Doug Gilmour in him,” said Dan Marr, the chief scout for the NHL’s Central Scouting bureau. “Nothing you do is going to stop him from going out there to do what he can do.

“After Connor (McDavid), Mitch might be the most skilled player in the draft. Similar to Connor, it’s just the quickness in which he can process the game and execute plays. That really stands out in his favour.

“But then he’s got that durability and that grit level in him.”

A scout from his draft year that says he's got a little bit of Gilmour in him is what you are latching on to...k.  

Adam Oates was a playmaker for sure but he's nowhere near the skater that Marner is.  Marner's a ballerina on skates.  Seriously watch some Savard videos folks.  You'll think it's Mitch Marner's daddy.  Oates, Gretzky, Gilmour are all way further away if we need to make a comparison than Savard. 

90+ assists in a season has been reached 30 times.

13 of those belong to Gretz

5 to Mario

2 each for Thornton, Orr, Oates

1 each for Coffey, Yzerman, Francis, Stastny, Gilmour (leafs record 95 in 92-93),  Lafontaine.

Marner currently on pace for 97, which would be good for a tie at 15th place, but would be tied for second most ever by guys not named Lemieux or Gretzky.

He needs 83 to tie for 49th with 4 or 5 other guys. 

Marner is rounding first on a historic season. If he gets to 41 games with 48+ assists then we can start getting really excited.

2 hours ago, Armster said:

Are you old enough, sweet fuck I died laughing.

These comparisons are a joke, too.

3 hours ago, Armster said:

Fuck me! I went to a Leafs fan club dinner in the early 80s. Greg Terrion was the head of my table. My brother sat with Barry Melrose. I remember that Borje Salming (my favourite player) was absent and Rick Vaive (my brother’s favourite player was lined up with girls.

Also remember sitting on Mike Palmateer’s lap while he gave us autographs.

I can see the comparisons to Gilmour making a little sense in terms of Marner and Doug both being small players with a will to compete, as well as both possessing qualities of being a true team leader. However, that is where the comparison stops, because as Armster already alluded, Gilmour was more of a physical presence on the ice in addition to being a talented player, whereas Marner's more of a playmaker.

Matthews and Sundin though? Seriously, c'mon now....

3 minutes ago, loxcane said:

I don’t know that there’s ever been a shifty big man with a shot like Matthews. I still think the closest you can get is Mario.

Lindros? Not old enough to remember Eric’s release though. AM can always get a shot off, his release is so quick and form is so fluid that you just can’t contain it.

2 hours ago, Devin Weston said:

I can see the comparisons to Gilmour making a little sense in terms of Marner and Doug both being small players with a will to compete, as well as both possessing qualities of being a true team leader. However, that is where the comparison stops, because as Armster already alluded, Gilmour was more of a physical presence on the ice in addition to being a talented player, whereas Marner's more of a playmaker.

Matthews and Sundin though? Seriously, c'mon now....

Meh.  You're likely comparing the 32 year old Gilmour that we all remember to our 21 year old Marner.  Give Marner time to fill out and get stronger and you might see a lot more of the same stuff.  Gilmour was a kid once too, and it took him years to settle into what he was known for.  But the will to compete is similar, the raw skill is similar, the shiftiness is similar, the "assist machine" thing is similar.  It doesn't matter, really.  The Savard comparison is great too.  But for some to arrogantly act like they know better than the head of central scouting is laughable.  :) 

Sundin was a big, strong guy that oozed talent and had an arsenal of weapons for scoring a ton of goals.  He'd almost carry defencemen toward the net on his back.  You obviously don't agree but I see that in Matthews too.  Again, he's still a kid.  But once he fills out and adds 20lbs of muscle, we'll really see it, IMO.  Opposing teams can't stop his insanely good shot right now, but they can stop him by hitting him hard.  Soon they won;'t even be able to do that.  Matthews is a better goal scorer than Sundin was, but Sundin was pretty damn good there also.