Sign in to follow this  
Armster

Marner

4 minutes ago, Nipzie said:

The head of central scouting...who is wrong about players constantly which is why we do redrafts for fun years later in retrospect...is gospel now? 

Not exactly gospel, no.  But he knows more than you and me!  

Sundin was a very good all around player.  Matthews has the skill set to be the best player in the league or at least neck and neck with the best.   Won't be long before he surpasses peak Sundin and perhaps, if we're really lucky, Syl Apps on the all-time list.  Don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

16 hours ago, Armster said:

Am I old enough to remember how Gilmour played?  Son, Dan Daoust was one of my childhood favourites..lol.

They play nothing alike.   Like not even close.  Marner is all edges and skating ability much like Denis Savard.  Gilmour was a tenacious bull who never, ever gave up on a play.  Marner's a playmaker, Gilmour was a passer.  There's a distinct difference.  And Sundin and Matthews play very different games as well.

been saying this all along

Not being an alarmist, though TSN likely are, but read this yesterday. Just doesn't make it sound like it's going right be as easy as hoped to get this done. I much prefer the article that says they'll sign deals together.

Phone links are dumb, from TSN.

Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun via text on Tuesday that the winger remains committed to holding off negotiations until after the season.

“Yes, 100 per cent,’’ Ferris told LeBrun in an article published on The Athletic. “Mitch wants to concentrate on this season.’’

Marner leads the Leafs in scoring with 15 goals and 55 points this season and is one pace to top the 100-point mark. TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Tuesday that Marner's camp wants to see Leafs centre Auston Matthews sign his extension first, though there's a chance the duo could sign as a package deal.

"Potentially, but I can tell you this. Marner and his camp are committed to getting the Matthews deal done first before they get into the heavy negotiations with GM Kyle Dubas," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "That remains unchanged, that’s been their position effectively since Day 1.

"There are some who believe that the Maple Leafs would like to get Marner done on a six-year term at $8-9 million per season. Forget about it, that’s not happening. That’s way too light and maybe the Marner camp pushes back with a four-year contract position which would walk him into free agency. That’s not going to happen either, but Marner wants to make sure he’s got fair comparables and that includes whatever the Maple Leafs sign Matthews to."

9 hours ago, tbnl said:

Easy solution.

Sign them both on the same day, at the same time, same amount, same long term deal.

They can rock paper scissors for top bunk.

Well I hope Marner doesn't get the 12 million or so salary that Matthews will get.  He's sure making it difficult to say he's not worth it, but I'm REALLY hoping Marner gets more in the 9-10 million range.  Matthews sure won't be settling for the 9-10 million range, so it might be hard to do your easy solution.  :)

7 hours ago, Holymakinaw said:

Well I hope Marner doesn't get the 12 million or so salary that Matthews will get.  He's sure making it difficult to say he's not worth it, but I'm REALLY hoping Marner gets more in the 9-10 million range.  Matthews sure won't be settling for the 9-10 million range, so it might be hard to do your easy solution.  :)

Marner deserves slightly more than Matthews if anything.

He's been far healthier, has led the team in points last year and this, has been the most consistent performer and he's dangerous on the PP and PK.

I've always been disappointed how Marner is left out of the conversation when it comes to captaincy because he's been a huge leader for this team.

3 minutes ago, tbnl said:

Marner deserves slightly more than Matthews if anything.

He's been far healthier, has led the team in points last year and this, has been the most consistent performer and he's dangerous on the PP and PK.

I've always been disappointed how Marner is left out of the conversation when it comes to captaincy because he's been a huge leader for this team.

Hi Paul welcome to LC.

27 minutes ago, TuckerIntensity said:

Slick Mitchy should make less than Matthews. He's great, 9 million is laughable with any sort of term, but Matthews is still the better player. 

I think this is why they’re waiting for Matty to sign. They know they’ll come in just under.