Armster

Marner

7 minutes ago, uteck said:

Mantis is Chiarelli....who the fuck knew

Don't sign arguably your best player for unknown first rounders, and keep a floater in Nylander and overpay an older UFA. Brilliant, just fucking brilliant

all because I don't like the agent

the agent has nothing to do with this but you've proven time and time again that you can't follow simple logic. you can't do much of anything, either. you struggle with remembering players names.

"overpay an older UFA". yeah, you're right, we don't need a two time Norris winning defenseman on the Leafs. nope, our defense is flawless, and we especially don't need that Norris caliber defenseman to be right handed.

stop responding to me before i have to put you on ignore

7 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Talk radio on the west coast saying Marners agent is backtracking.

Anyone hear that?

a quote from reddit

"Yesterday he was talking about how Matthews didnt take a discount on his contract so why should Mitch then on tsn 1050 today marners agent said those comments were made in the summer? How were they made in the summer if he just signed his contract yesterday.

He also said yesterday that the leafs are low balling Marner but that now they arent far off? I thought they weren't negotiating?"

Just now, nodoubtabouter said:

Panarin or Karlsson?? I'd rather have a more balanced team opposed to needing to find a bunch of stop-gap players to fill out our roster.

With that money we could resign Kappy and Johnsson to nice deals and still have a bunch left over.

did ... did you just refer to Panarin and Karlsson as "stop-gap players"?

TIL Artemi "Point Per Game" Panarin and Erik "2x Norris Trophy winner, multiple time Norris Trophy finalist" Karlsson are "stop-gap players". Why bother attempting to sign them when we can just re-sign Kapanen and Johnsson to "nice deals" and then have money left over for .. something.

10 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

the agent has nothing to do with this but you've proven time and time again that you can't follow simple logic. you can't do much of anything, either. you struggle with remembering players names.

"overpay an older UFA". yeah, you're right, we don't need a two time Norris winning defenseman on the Leafs. nope, our defense is flawless, and we especially don't need that Norris caliber defenseman to be right handed.

stop responding to me before i have to put you on ignore

Please put me on ignore

thank you

the good news is the tone today is a 180 from yesterday, because obviously there were talks behind closed doors.  

everything is back on course.  OF course, however, marner will get 10.5-11 mil sadly, but dubas will give it to him, just like he gave everyone else fair to high numbers.  

hopefully it’s a 7 year deal at least near the end of the deal it should be advantageous.   the matthews deal wont be long enough to show its age unfortunately.

I'd make the exception for Marner, an offersheet would be pretty tempting though. Either way, no I would not be interested in bidding on Karlsson or Panarin.

If we lost Mitch I'd rather just round out our roster. Resign Kappy and Johnsson, resign Muzzin and Dermott next year, and look for a cheaper RHD. Bottom six guys are pretty important too.

Here is something I haven't' heard anyone else mention.

Marner will make over 10.16 mill on his next contract, and here is why.

$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick
  $10,148,303 and above Four first-round picks

We would match any offer sheet under 10.15 and everyone knows this. It's not worth it to lose Marner for 2 first a 2nd and third. So that leaves teams with the inclination to offer sheet Marner to throw 10.15 and above at him. If Marner's agent is worth his money he will tell Marner that the lowest they will go is 10.15 because the Leafs will eventually be forced to that price anyways.

If the Leafs sign Marner to anything under 10.15 it's because Marner took a discount and wanted to stay.

1 minute ago, Barilko's Ghost said:

Perhaps we can send Dubas on a Negotiation 101 course within a similar time frame. 

I get that.  In a sense, I feel for Dubas because this is somewhat unprecedented territory and he's a new GM.  I don't think he's doing an awful job, but when you want to sign Tavares, you have to pay a decent value for him and that's set the tone for contracts moving forward. But yeah, no discounts and he has to pay these players so he's going to have find efficiencies elsewhere in the line-up.  Fortunately, Rielly, Muzzin, Andersen and Kadri are on sweetheart deals and Marleau is a season away from being off the books.  As long as we compete for a Cup for the next five or six years and win at least one, then I'll be happy.

2 minutes ago, Armster said:

I get that.  In a sense, I feel for Dubas because this is somewhat unprecedented territory and he's a new GM.  I don't think he's doing an awful job, but when you want to sign Tavares, you have to pay a decent value for him and that's set the tone for contracts moving forward. But yeah, no discounts and he has to pay these players so he's going to have find efficiencies elsewhere in the line-up.  Fortunately, Rielly, Muzzin, Andersen and Kadri are on sweetheart deals and Marleau is a season away from being off the books.  As long as we compete for a Cup for the next five or six years and win at least one, then I'll be happy.

I agree with you here, and I've no real problem with the Matthews contract. A more seasoned GM probably gets another year or two from the deal for a similar AAV, but there's no question this is what Matthews is worth.

I think his mistake is the Nylander contract. It will make building a competitive, well-balanced team more difficult, and I really believe the right decision was to trade him for more needed help on the back end. Time will tell, but I suspect Nylander winds up elsewhere long term. 

53 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Those bottom six guys won't collectively replace Marner's production, though. Aside from moving Brown, the bottom six is fine as is.

Well Nylander is a 7M dollar man.. I'd hope he could replace most of that production. 

And I'd still like to see our bottom six be a little harder to play against...